Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lowered my SC300 with some silly wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-05, 10:03 AM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by User Name
These rims are heavy as ****. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
I know, i use to have mustang wheels, different from these, hated them.
Old 11-10-05, 10:13 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Makes me cry when all this people getting SUPRA BIG BRAKE KIT for no reason.

I'm confused by this.
Old 11-10-05, 10:37 AM
User Name
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
I'm confused by this.

You are confused that people put BBK on there car for no apparent reason or you are confused that what....

Old 11-10-05, 11:29 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, for free, it's a win-win situation. The car sits pretty nicely with those wheels and suspension.

To the other post about the BBK... You mean all stop and no go? Well, personally I think its better than all go and no stop.
Old 11-10-05, 12:00 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

when is having a brake upgrade a bad idea? I would prefer everyone on the roads had brake upgrades so they could avoid hitting me haha
Old 11-10-05, 12:23 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

You are confused that people put BBK on there car for no apparent reason or you are confused that what....

Better braking abilty is the apparent reason. It should be a requirement that before anyone does any power upgrades they have to improve braking first!!!
Old 11-10-05, 01:12 PM
User Name
Driver

Originally Posted by TurboTeg
when is having a brake upgrade a bad idea? I would prefer everyone on the roads had brake upgrades so they could avoid hitting me haha
When you can almost do the same by upgrading to better pads, brake lines and fluids.
Old 11-10-05, 01:13 PM
User Name
Driver

Better braking abilty is the apparent reason. It should be a requirement that before anyone does any power upgrades they have to improve braking first!!!
By doing that you upgrade your brakes to Big Brake Kit? LOL

Old 11-10-05, 01:50 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

By doing that you upgrade your brakes to Big Brake Kit? LOL

You're losing me User. You are correct that braking performance can be improved drastically by using more aggressive pads, steel brake lines, and proper/clean fluids. But, with aggressive pads on stock size rotors you also drastically decrease the life of those rotors and increase the probablilty of warpage. With a larger diameter rotor you know have more are for the pads to come into contact with along with improved cooling.

So, while you are correct that the quickest/easiest way to improve performance in with pads & etc. It would be dumb to critisize someone for also upgrading the actual components that provide the braking force.
Old 11-10-05, 03:18 PM
User Name
Driver

You're losing me User. You are correct that braking performance can be improved drastically by using more aggressive pads, steel brake lines, and proper/clean fluids. But, with aggressive pads on stock size rotors you also drastically decrease the life of those rotors and increase the probablilty of warpage. With a larger diameter rotor you know have more are for the pads to come into contact with along with improved cooling.

So, while you are correct that the quickest/easiest way to improve performance in with pads & etc. It would be dumb to critisize someone for also upgrading the actual components that provide the braking force.
Having a bigger rotors don't automatically means "BETTER STOPPING".

With Agressive pads and stock rotor warpage is 1 in a thousands of chances. With effective cost and with no real back up mathematics of how much does the Supra Big Brake Kit does a job stopping an SC300... Is it more than a few feet? Is it more than inches? Is it more than what...

I know for a fact that it will stop but how much difference between Good pads, Lines and Fluid.

We still have the weight and tires left out... If the same to both cars, I guarantee it aint much stopping difference...

I have driven my SC with good pads and good tires at the road race track. It is enough for me to stop quickly from 110 MPH to 0 MPH. Wasting money on BBK is not necessary.

Its for show cars.
Old 11-11-05, 06:19 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Having a bigger rotors don't automatically means "BETTER STOPPING".

With Agressive pads and stock rotor warpage is 1 in a thousands of chances. With effective cost and with no real back up mathematics of how much does the Supra Big Brake Kit does a job stopping an SC300... Is it more than a few feet? Is it more than inches? Is it more than what...

I know for a fact that it will stop but how much difference between Good pads, Lines and Fluid.

We still have the weight and tires left out... If the same to both cars, I guarantee it aint much stopping difference...

I have driven my SC with good pads and good tires at the road race track. It is enough for me to stop quickly from 110 MPH to 0 MPH. Wasting money on BBK is not necessary.

Its for show cars.
It's pretty clear here that we will have to agree to disagree.

As far as warpage, my stock rotors have warped slightly from heavy braking with stock pads! Going to a more agressive pad would only worsen that effect.
With regards to a larger diameter rotor.

For each surface contact on a disk brake, the stopping torque generated with uniform pressure
applied by the pad is

T = (1/3) * F * mu * [(D^3 - d^3)/(D^2 - d^2)]

where F is the force applied on each caliper face, mu is the coefficient of friction, and D and d
are the outer and inner diameters of the rotor annulus.

mu will change as heat is generated on the rotor and pad, but since it's a function of the pad
material, this change can be set aside for comparative purposes.

It's clear that the larger the rotor, the greater the stopping torque.

I won't take credit for the formula as I found it in that wonderful mystery known as the internet, but Since I am proficient in Mathematics, I can follow it. It appears valid and mathematically shows that a larger rotor equals greater stopping torque, which in turn equals greater braking performance.

If rotor size really made no differerence, I am sure the Carrera GT would come with 8" rotors in the front and 7" rotors in the back!
Old 11-11-05, 07:19 AM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Always starting trouble Al, you "silly man".
Old 11-11-05, 07:34 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i think both are valid but the thing to look at in braking for the difference is not so much how well it clamps but the braking torque it applies. the bigger the rotor the farther away you can set the caliper. from there a larger caliper can apply the same amount of friction which has a higher torque value (tt calipers/rotors) than that of the sc's smaller. this is where most of your braking performance is shown, on a stock to stock the tt can produce much more stopping torque to slow the vehicle. the math to it that mkorsu is showing is that even with a higher coefficient of friction pads the 4 piston supra calipers can better handle the tast of slowing a high speed/high weight vehicle faster with less adverse affects as in over heating.

this is why bbk are big brake kits. the larger you go the more torque, the faster you can stop. and it is a significant difference by about 20 feet from 80mph
Old 11-11-05, 07:36 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

on another note do the cobra wheels fit the tt calipers under them. if so im ordering a set right now.
Old 11-13-05, 06:06 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

now getting back to the subject, what suspension did you get? free is great! looks sharp. any more pics?

Quick Reply: Lowered my SC300 with some silly wheels.