Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lowered my SC300 with some silly wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-05, 06:29 AM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

not too shabby for free wheels I wouldnt mind seeing more pics either.
Old 11-17-05, 08:52 AM
User Name
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
It's pretty clear here that we will have to agree to disagree.

As far as warpage, my stock rotors have warped slightly from heavy braking with stock pads! Going to a more agressive pad would only worsen that effect.
With regards to a larger diameter rotor.

For each surface contact on a disk brake, the stopping torque generated with uniform pressure
applied by the pad is

T = (1/3) * F * mu * [(D^3 - d^3)/(D^2 - d^2)]

where F is the force applied on each caliper face, mu is the coefficient of friction, and D and d
are the outer and inner diameters of the rotor annulus.

mu will change as heat is generated on the rotor and pad, but since it's a function of the pad
material, this change can be set aside for comparative purposes.

It's clear that the larger the rotor, the greater the stopping torque.

I won't take credit for the formula as I found it in that wonderful mystery known as the internet, but Since I am proficient in Mathematics, I can follow it. It appears valid and mathematically shows that a larger rotor equals greater stopping torque, which in turn equals greater braking performance.

If rotor size really made no differerence, I am sure the Carrera GT would come with 8" rotors in the front and 7" rotors in the back!
Sure with an EASY math. Larger rotor will apply less heat but we are still forgetting about tires and weight. How much torque does it compare to stock rotor size on SC vs Supra rotors. Having much larger brake on the front will lock up sooner than the rear. This is why we have stopping distance test and variable test of the car of how much braking it really needs.

Locking up your brakes do not make you stop any faster. LOL

As for warping the stock ROTORS... What do you do? Daily drive and you warp it? LOL
Old 11-17-05, 09:20 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by User Name
Sure with an EASY math. Larger rotor will apply less heat but we are still forgetting about tires and weight. How much torque does it compare to stock rotor size on SC vs Supra rotors. Having much larger brake on the front will lock up sooner than the rear. This is why we have stopping distance test and variable test of the car of how much braking it really needs.

Locking up your brakes do not make you stop any faster. LOL

As for warping the stock ROTORS... What do you do? Daily drive and you warp it? LOL

Give it a rest bro. You have yet to post ANYTHING that supports your claims. I propose we agree to disagree.
Old 11-17-05, 09:25 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Its been dyno tested ,a larger brake system can result as much as a 10hp loss on the dyno...

As far as warping, thats an easy fix..

Use a torque wrench and do the correct pattern.. Ive NEVER had warping problems. Rotors warp when you do not incorrectly torque your lugnuts and it puts stress and pressure on the rotor at different areas, causing it to warp under heat. Thats what ive always been told and heard.. and i always correctly torque my lugnuts and i NEVER had warped rotors.
Old 11-17-05, 09:34 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
Its been dyno tested ,a larger brake system can result as much as a 10hp loss on the dyno...

That must be a Mustang Dyno. Other Dyno's show a 15 hp loss!

You may be correct about my rotors. But very aggressive, and countinously agressive braking, with stock rotors may still cause stock rotors to warp even if lugs are properly torqued.
Old 11-17-05, 12:48 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

warping is from improper heating and cooling cycles of the rotors, torquing the bolts ofcoarse has an affect but its mostly from inconsistant heat/cooling at different parts of the rotor. aka the metal is expanding and contracting at different rates which like welding will result in warping. larger rotors helps discipate this heat at a more even interval. yes you may lose power on a dyno but ill lose 40hp if it stops my @ss from hitting something that'll kill me. and yes warping rotors happens on all types of cars, including ones that are daily drivers.

locking up brakes is all driver error if it is for more than a few feet. regulating brake pressure is all driver control so no matter what a bigger brake setup will stop a car faster at the same heat of the rotor and same pad. it will add more weight to have to stop also, but with locking up thats why we have abs, these are lexus' with supra brakes not my honda thats stripped to the bone with 1 piston at each corner and my foot controlling everything.
Old 11-17-05, 02:34 PM
nasc300
Lead Lap

So when are we going to see some real pics (side shots)
What size tires on those wheels

Last edited by nasc300; 11-17-05 at 04:10 PM.