Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Which is the better coilover?
Bilstein PSS
63.16%
Tein Super street
36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Bilstein PSS or Tein Super street?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-05, 05:27 AM
GSXLEX
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
congrats buddy. Did you use the stock bumpstops or the one with the kit?
They used the stock ones.The mech said they were in great condition and fit..So far so good..This is what I shoulda done in the first place!
Old 11-15-05, 05:54 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott1258
dashocker -

What are the PSS's like over rough highway driving? Do they beat you up? I'm in CA and on the freeways that are cement we have these expansion joints like every 20 feet that are hard and the ride is miserable if the shocks are too stiff. Do the pss's absorb bumps or sent it straight into the car and cabin where you get tossed around?

I'm looking for something that is tight and has good performance that also absorbs the rough roads. From what I keep reading here the Tein CS seems to be a little too much like the stock ride for me. I could be wrong, I have not ridden in a car with the CS system. Anyway - more of your thoughts on the ride experience on the pss's would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Well I can tell you NYC streets and highways are one of the worst in the USA in terms of potholes dips, bumps etc. I can tell you that the Bilsteins are excellent over rough surfaces. It does not jar you around like the Teins Superstreets, Flex, HA. I been in Gsoups car with Superstreets and it is stiffer, but too stiff for me for the everyday. The bilsteins are a hair stiffer than stock. It is self dampening and adjusts to the road surface. It actually dampens the bumps better than stock. I am riding on 19's now and the ride has not changed from the 17's. I highly recommend them for urban use.

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 11-15-05 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-15-05, 06:03 AM
GSXLEX
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive noticed they're pretty light also.The shop put the Bilstein/L-Sportline setup back in the box and DAMN..it was HEAVY!!!I guess at least a 30lb difference.
Old 11-15-05, 06:20 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by GSXLEX
They used the stock ones.The mech said they were in great condition and fit..So far so good..This is what I shoulda done in the first place!
Great! That is the way to go. I used the stock ones too. Oh those Bimmers, 350z's, G35's are in for a big suprise in the twisties
Old 11-15-05, 06:42 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Great! That is the way to go. I used the stock ones too. Oh those Bimmers, 350z's, G35's are in for a big suprise in the twisties
damn sean you blowing up youve got coilovers and rims since i saw you at todds house. i wanna grow up to be like you and carlos
Old 11-15-05, 06:43 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

nice very nice glad to see the bilstein group growing by leaps and bounds

if it feels good to you now imagine driving in mine with daizen sways , toms front and rear lower brace and toms 6 piece links and a fat a$$ rear 285 tire (soon to be 295/30) in the rear..

the looks on the bimmer guys faces while i sit on their bumpers on their every move is priceless
Old 11-15-05, 06:46 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I can tell you NYC streets and highways are one of the worst in the USA in terms of potholes dips, bumps etc. I can tell you that the Bilsteins are excellent over rough surfaces. It does not jar you around like the Teins Superstreets, Flex, HA. I been in Gsoups car with Superstreets and it is stiffer, but too stiff for me for the everyday. The bilsteins are a hair stiffer than stock. It is self dampening and adjusts to the road surface. It actually dampens the bumps better than stock. I am riding on 19's now and the ride has not changed from the 17's. I highly recommend them for urban use.
you and gsx just took over the thread from tone ..LOL
Old 11-15-05, 06:48 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexforlife
nice very nice glad to see the bilstein group growing by leaps and bounds

if it feels good to you now imagine driving in mine with daizen sways , toms front and rear lower brace and toms 6 piece links and a fat a$$ rear 285 tire (soon to be 295/30) in the rear..

the looks on the bimmer guys faces while i sit on their bumpers on their every move is priceless

i'm almost there...with the daizen sways/tom's and the fatty setup ... coming jan-feb 06
Old 11-15-05, 06:51 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sha4000
damn sean you blowing up youve got coilovers and rims since i saw you at todds house. i wanna grow up to be like you and carlos
i'm trying to be like you... i have almost finished my LS front conversion on my gs . Now all I need is to add an additional 2000lbs somewhere...

hey sha where you been your missing in action...
Old 11-15-05, 07:50 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

ive been down to atlanta alot b/c thats where the wife is working and im still up here for the time being so my weekends are booked up btwher and the kids. plus i got to get my ride tight b4 i roll around with you fly guys.i got my kit now i need some wheels and a drop
Old 11-15-05, 07:57 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

sean is the pimp daddy these days... i'm just rollin with the masses...
Old 11-15-05, 11:53 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

All I need now is a LS400 with a fur interior and painted hot purple. Where can I get a feather hat to match?
Old 11-15-05, 09:27 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I voted for the Teins because of its flexability. You can adjust both height and dampening. As for the stiffness, they are about the same. One advantage that Tein has is not only the 16level dampening, but the ride height can be much lower than the Bilsteins.
Old 11-16-05, 10:58 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dashocker thanks for the reply of the PSS's. Well I ordered a set today from shox.com! All this based on your quote that they are "a hair stiffer than stock". I can live with that easily - I just hope you are right! Actually I've read everything posted about these shocks from pearlpower to dave's review etc...

You seem pretty certain that they are not too rough. I was going to get a set of the HKS LS+'s - but there were none in stock and I didn't want to wait 6 weeks to have them shipped from Japan. HKS had a set of the regualr LS's but they are not adjustable and I just thought for $850 why not try the Bilsteins with the lifetime warranty. If it works I will have saved a nice chunk. I have the Tein SS's on my MR2 Turbo, you mentioned the PSS doesn't bounce around as much as these and I know how these feel - so for the GS400 this would be a good thing. I'll post and let everyone know my opinion of these once they are installed. Thanks again all.
Old 11-16-05, 11:47 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott1258
Hey Dashocker thanks for the reply of the PSS's. Well I ordered a set today from shox.com! All this based on your quote that they are "a hair stiffer than stock". I can live with that easily - I just hope you are right! Actually I've read everything posted about these shocks from pearlpower to dave's review etc...

You seem pretty certain that they are not too rough. I was going to get a set of the HKS LS+'s - but there were none in stock and I didn't want to wait 6 weeks to have them shipped from Japan. HKS had a set of the regualr LS's but they are not adjustable and I just thought for $850 why not try the Bilsteins with the lifetime warranty. If it works I will have saved a nice chunk. I have the Tein SS's on my MR2 Turbo, you mentioned the PSS doesn't bounce around as much as these and I know how these feel - so for the GS400 this would be a good thing. I'll post and let everyone know my opinion of these once they are installed. Thanks again all.

congrats on your purchase but i the bilsteins ride no where close to stock bro.. they are firm and as they break in and find their range of damping they will get firmer.. no mistake i love mine , i like that bmw firm feel .. but again they will get much firmer , imo they are about 75% firmer then stock period

Quick Reply: Bilstein PSS or Tein Super street?