Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Which is the better coilover?
Bilstein PSS
63.16%
Tein Super street
36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Bilstein PSS or Tein Super street?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-05, 09:08 PM
tone
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bilstein PSS or Tein Super street?

I've thought about it thorougly and came to the conclusion that my next mod is definately going to be coilovers. Now....my 98 gs400 is a daily driver...im not really a racer type...love the slammed look, hate rattles and noises coming from suspension and love a solid, quiet ride...

im debating on which coilovers i should get, seems like they both have their pro's and cons...but id like a little more feedback. For those of you that have PSS...what do you think of them....(and let's not speak wonders just because u own them...if u think they suck tell me lol) ...same goes for the super street owners....is there anyone who has had both and can compare them for me?...would appreciate some help, thanks in advance.

tone.

Last edited by tone; 11-11-05 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-12-05, 08:24 AM
tone
Lead Lap

anyone?
Old 11-12-05, 09:36 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

out of those 2 i would choose the bilstein PSS...if you want teins...go with HA , FLEX, or CS
Old 11-12-05, 09:45 AM
tone
Lead Lap

what do u think is better about the bilstein pss?.. can that go as low as the super streets can?...
Old 11-12-05, 08:52 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How low are you going? What size wheels? You also did not mention comfort. The SS for the GS are stiff.
Old 11-13-05, 12:17 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You rode in both. Which one can you live with day to day in nyc?
Old 11-13-05, 01:59 PM
tone
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Neo
How low are you going? What size wheels? You also did not mention comfort. The SS for the GS are stiff.

i want a nice ride, doesnt exactly need to be a pillow ride... ive got stock 17 inch chromes...and im trying to get at least to a one finger gap...

sean...i only rode in your car for like 2 minutes lol... and carlos' car for about the same time... ide have to ride in them for a whole day to be able to compare them...
Old 11-13-05, 03:02 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Originally Posted by tone
what do u think is better about the bilstein pss?.. can that go as low as the super streets can?...

My opinion...

Bilstein - better warranty, quieter from what I've read of various tein owners complaining about noise

Tein - will go lower, more adjustable with EDFC option
Old 11-13-05, 06:32 PM
tone
Lead Lap

*pulls out hair
Old 11-14-05, 05:31 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tone
i want a nice ride, doesnt exactly need to be a pillow ride... ive got stock 17 inch chromes...and im trying to get at least to a one finger gap...

sean...i only rode in your car for like 2 minutes lol... and carlos' car for about the same time... ide have to ride in them for a whole day to be able to compare them...
Lol.. there is only a two limit time limit for passengers in my ride. On the real, you should go with the bilsteins if your car is your daily driver. It could be cranked down to a one finger gap. Right now I have 19's and it is a one and a half finger gap all around, and mind you, it is not cranked all the way down. I have 3 threads left in the front and 6 in the back. The ride is like stock without the wiggle and jiggle, and that is with 19's. Look at Dave's car he has them on his.
Old 11-14-05, 05:39 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Lol.. there is only a two limit time limit for passengers in my ride. On the real, you should go with the bilsteins if your car is your daily driver. It could be cranked down to a one finger gap. Right now I have 19's and it is a one and a half finger gap all around, and mind you, it is not cranked all the way down. I have 3 threads left in the front and 6 in the back. The ride is like stock without the wiggle and jiggle, and that is with 19's. Look at Dave's car he has them on his.

glad to hear you are enjoying them but agaon give it a couple of months when they settle in , they will get much firmer , just the way i like it .. one thing i do like about them , is at triple digit speeds they seem to get tighter and more responsive.. thats the way i am told bilstein designed them with their special digressive valving that constantly adjusts to road condtions
Old 11-14-05, 05:53 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by lexforlife
glad to hear you are enjoying them but agaon give it a couple of months when they settle in , they will get much firmer , just the way i like it .. one thing i do like about them , is at triple digit speeds they seem to get tighter and more responsive.. thats the way i am told bilstein designed them with their special digressive valving that constantly adjusts to road condtions
Your right about it at higher speeds. I can wring the car in and out of traffic, and it is so solid. So much fund to drive on the highway. I can hang with bimmers, 350 z's, civics with no problems now. Before I got the bilsteins, The car would feel like a 1978 caddy.
Old 11-14-05, 04:12 PM
GSXLEX
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got my Bilstein PSS installed and all I can say is ..Ive fallen in love again!!I thought the s/s setup I had was it but now..I also had the Daizen sway bushings installed and can honestly say I dont need upgraded sways.The ride is pretty firm and the cornering..INSANE.Will have a better feel for it tomorrow when I goto work(100 mile commute)but my first impression is
Old 11-14-05, 09:23 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSXLEX
Just got my Bilstein PSS installed and all I can say is ..Ive fallen in love again!!I thought the s/s setup I had was it but now..I also had the Daizen sway bushings installed and can honestly say I dont need upgraded sways.The ride is pretty firm and the cornering..INSANE.Will have a better feel for it tomorrow when I goto work(100 mile commute)but my first impression is
congrats buddy. Did you use the stock bumpstops or the ones with the kit?

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 11-15-05 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-14-05, 10:42 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dashocker -

What are the PSS's like over rough highway driving? Do they beat you up? I'm in CA and on the freeways that are cement we have these expansion joints like every 20 feet that are hard and the ride is miserable if the shocks are too stiff. Do the pss's absorb bumps or sent it straight into the car and cabin where you get tossed around?

I'm looking for something that is tight and has good performance that also absorbs the rough roads. From what I keep reading here the Tein CS seems to be a little too much like the stock ride for me. I could be wrong, I have not ridden in a car with the CS system. Anyway - more of your thoughts on the ride experience on the pss's would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Bilstein PSS or Tein Super street?