Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front/rear sways and lower chassis brace installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-01, 07:46 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tiny, I'm not going to be able to make the Dallas meet. I thought I'd sent you a PM...maybe not. Anyway, my wife's in Europe so my best friend is wandering into town for that weekend. I'm sorry I'll miss the meet, but I have a feeling we'll have a slovenly good time anyway.
Old 07-30-01, 09:29 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

SCwell,

Thank you for your posts. I was going to do the exactly the same setup as you have. However, after reading your posts, I may have to think twice before I buy the sways. My car is going to be used in the same fashion as you have mentioned. I need to be able to carry passengers with comfort especially when me and my wife need to put the baby (when we have one) in the backseat. Definitely don't want to make the baby uncomfortable in the back.
Anyway, please keep us posted with your observation and comments.

Thanks again for the useful info

kaju

Old 08-02-01, 12:16 AM
David GS400
Pole Position

Hey SC:

I agree with bitkahuna; there are guys lining up to buy the sways. I have the TRD STB/LCB & Sways and love them. Yes it did stiffen up the ride, but the car handles so well now, I'll take performance over a plush ride. I guess it's just what you want to use your car for. I did notice that the STB alone without the sways tightened the front end up quite a bit. But I still had body roll when cornering. The sways took out the body roll but stiffened the ride. So it's a matter of performance over ride. Even though I decided for performance, I wish I could have both!
Old 08-02-01, 05:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally posted by David GS400
... So it's a matter of performance over ride. Even though I decided for performance, I wish I could have both!
The only way to have both is an active or at least electronically adjustable suspension of some kind. The LS430 Ultra has the adjustable air suspension which is cool, and Mercedes has their ABC (active body control) which is awesome (when it doesn't break).

Old 08-02-01, 06:21 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Oh yeah, I agree. I semi-knew what I was getting into. I knew it would be stiffer but didn't know how much more so. Actually after driving on the new suspension for a week I'm pretty certain I'm going to keep it. I think it was just a shell shock at the difference, but now I don't really notice it unless I'm pushing the handling (in a good way) or driving down a crappy road (in a bad way).
Old 08-02-01, 07:40 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

There's a shop called Yoshi's in Fresno, CA importing electronic air adjustable suspension for the GS. You can control ride height and damping from inside the car. He's importing it from his connections in Japan. Guys who show their cars to get that "slammed look" are getting them. They run about $4,000.00 uninstalled.
Old 08-02-01, 07:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by David GS400
There's a shop called Yoshi's in Fresno, CA importing electronic air adjustable suspension for the GS. You can control ride height and damping from inside the car. He's importing it from his connections in Japan. Guys who show their cars to get that "slammed look" are getting them. They run about $4,000.00 uninstalled.
Wow, is there any info about that on the web?
Old 08-02-01, 09:28 PM
RacingAristo

I heard about it before. It's too expansive for my taste.
Old 08-03-01, 12:01 AM
David GS400
Pole Position

Try www.kiyoshismotorsports.com/ and check out the CANOVER air suspension system. It's a fully adjustable air suspension; he has a photo of a GS400 really slammed. They also import Wald kits if anyone is interested.
Old 08-03-01, 09:16 AM
RacingAristo

I believe with TEIN HA, my car can be as slamming as the one uses CANOVER. I've done that before when first time put on the coilover.

Thanks for the info, David.
Old 08-03-01, 03:29 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Default I've decided to keep them on...

After driving with them on for a week, I can't imagine what I was thinking last weekend! Sure, there was an adjustment period, but the extent to which the car just feels dialed in to the road is more that worth it.

If you want a REALLY good blend of tighter handling and comfort, stay with the L-Tuned suspension at most; if you're okay compromising a little (but not as much as it seemed at first) ride quality for REALLY tight handling, add the sways!

Sorry for the waffling. The first impression shocked me, but the lasting impression is SO GREAT!!!

Last edited by SCWells72; 08-03-01 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-03-01, 04:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: I've decided to keep them on...

Originally posted by SCWells72
After driving with them on for a week, I can't imagine what I was thinking last weekend ... The first impression shocked me, but the last impression is SO GREAT!!!
Really glad you like them now. The car with sways doesn't hide road imperfections as well as without, but the improved cornering/steering is really a trip.

The interesting thing is, if you even go in a stock IS300, you'll realize your GS with sways, braces, L-Tuned springs/shocks etc., is STILL pretty soft. Part of that is just the weight in the equation. The GS of course is not a light car.

Old 08-03-01, 05:02 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

bit you read my mind... SC, if you do decide to give them up, let me know, I'll be glad to take them off your hands.
TIA.
Old 08-03-01, 05:08 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

bit you read my mind... SC, if you do decide to give them up, let me know, I'll be glad to take them off your hands.
TIA.
Old 08-04-01, 01:43 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Thumbs up

I agree with you completely Bit!

I had an IS300 as the loaner while they were putting the suspension pieces on my car. Whoa! It handled nice enough that I drove it by my house so the wife could see it too. I was wondering whether the 400 with all the suspension bits would handle the same, it doesn't, but then it does carry more weight as you say.

SCWells72: Glad you finally decided you like the ride. After my first couple of weeks with it I can only reiterate my "strong buy" recommendation but now would also take back my argument that it should be standard on the cars. I could see why people might not like it.

Peter