Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I want to go lower!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-05, 12:00 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXISM
doesnt need to be that soft .... just not stiff as hell
Well, I guess you can give the DFs a try then.
Old 11-17-05, 12:07 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so how much lower should I expect to go w/ the DF Springs ?
Old 11-17-05, 12:13 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Now if I go w/ these Springs should I get new shocks also?
Old 11-17-05, 12:34 PM
Neo
The One

If the L-Tuned shocks are not too old, it should be fine. As for drop, i actually don't think it will be much more. I think the Espelir drops either 1.7" or 1.9" in the front. I can't even remember the rear specs. The DFs for the GS400 is 2.0" front and 1.5" rear.

The interesting thing of note on the Tanabe specs is that the spring rates for both the NF and DF are pretty much the same. There is a .1 difference in the rear. The spring construction is a bit different to allow the DFs to go lower and maybe that is contributing to the slight additional harshness in the DFs.
Old 11-17-05, 02:10 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
If the L-Tuned shocks are not too old, it should be fine. As for drop, i actually don't think it will be much more. I think the Espelir drops either 1.7" or 1.9" in the front. I can't even remember the rear specs. The DFs for the GS400 is 2.0" front and 1.5" rear.

The interesting thing of note on the Tanabe specs is that the spring rates for both the NF and DF are pretty much the same. There is a .1 difference in the rear. The spring construction is a bit different to allow the DFs to go lower and maybe that is contributing to the slight additional harshness in the DFs.
When the DFs settle and break in, they actually settled in at 2.7 in the front and 2.3 in the rear.

ps, the ride is no where near harsh! I sold my DF's to a member here named sfkid
If you want a second opinion, try pming him. good luck.
Old 11-17-05, 08:53 PM
sfkid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whatsup funguy! :D

Lexism, funguy hooked me up with his old springs cause i didn't want to spend too much, but wanted low and somewhat comfy ... since he ran them for a while, the spings were prettle settled. The car is very very low. I use the description that rominl (henry) and other use here.. it is zero finger gap. you can kind put your finger between the tire and fender at a 45 degree angle, but that is all, running 19s.

I never took any decent pics, but here is a side one to check out.. I have 19s with Falkens St115s, with Ltuned shocks (kybs). The ride is like almost stock except, say minus 15%, for medium large and bigger bumps in cali freeways. When driving in mucked up San Francisco streets and construction areas, it is noticeable and bottom out once a while. Yep, I have the bumper stops cut in half. Although, I notice bumps more when driving than as a passenger. Overall, it is smoother than I thought it would be, and the 19” ST115 are more comfy than 17” Mich AVS.

To compare to other types of cars… I drive rentals across the western US all the time, and my car is more comfortable or solid than Hyundai Sonatos, Chevy Malibus, Chevy Caprice, Mazda 6, Mazda 626, Nissan Xterra, Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota 4 runner (but not highlander), not as floaty as large Lincolns and Camrys. List goes on…
Attached Thumbnails I want to go lower!!!-cropped-3.jpg  
Old 11-17-05, 09:59 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sfkid
Lexism, funguy hooked me up with his old springs cause i didn't want to spend too much, but wanted low and somewhat comfy ... since he ran them for a while, the spings were prettle settled. The car is very very low. I use the description that rominl (henry) and other use here.. it is zero finger gap. you can kind put your finger between the tire and fender at a 45 degree angle, but that is all, running 19s.

I never took any decent pics, but here is a side one to check out.. I have 19s with Falkens St115s, with Ltuned shocks (kybs). The ride is like almost stock except, say minus 15%, for medium large and bigger bumps in cali freeways. When driving in mucked up San Francisco streets and construction areas, it is noticeable and bottom out once a while. Yep, I have the bumper stops cut in half. Although, I notice bumps more when driving than as a passenger. Overall, it is smoother than I thought it would be, and the 19” ST115 are more comfy than 17” Mich AVS.

To compare to other types of cars… I drive rentals across the western US all the time, and my car is more comfortable or solid than Hyundai Sonatos, Chevy Malibus, Chevy Caprice, Mazda 6, Mazda 626, Nissan Xterra, Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota 4 runner (but not highlander), not as floaty as large Lincolns and Camrys. List goes on…
thanks for your post

wow if you bottom out w/ 19's.....imagine w/ my 20's

i have to think about this

your car looks clean though
Old 11-17-05, 10:07 PM
beez43
Pole Position

acutally you have less chance of bottoming out with 20's because they really do make the car a bit higher... when i moved from my 16's to 19's, i didnt scrape as much at the same height but my stocks were a bit smaller with the tires... so if you got 20's i wouldnt be as worried..
Old 11-17-05, 10:34 PM
sfkid
Driver School Candidate

Lexism, just for clarification...I bottom out my shocks once in a while, not scraping the ground. Here is another look at the height from a differnt angle..
Attached Thumbnails I want to go lower!!!-cropped-2.jpg  
Old 11-17-05, 11:48 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by FunGuy
When the DFs settle and break in, they actually settled in at 2.7 in the front and 2.3 in the rear.
Their specs is really misleading then. Getting them for a 2" drop and then getting 2.7" is quite a difference.
Old 11-18-05, 09:54 AM
DruMnBaSS
Lead Lap

airrunners man!!!!! only problem i see with "performance driving.. is bottoming out on front fender while turning.. happened to me ..
Old 11-18-05, 12:10 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DruMnBaSS
airrunners man!!!!! only problem i see with "performance driving.. is bottoming out on front fender while turning.. happened to me ..
$4,400 versus $135. Damn thats a huge gap. YOu could lower 32 2nd gen gs's here .