Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How do you lowered guys put up with this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-05, 11:20 AM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you lowered guys put up with this?

My car has about 1 1/2 finger gap. It scrapes EVERYWHERE. I cant pull into half the stores/driveways. My bottom is constantly getting scraped. I think I'm going to raise the car a bit. I'm getting my body kit put on soon and I'm sure as hell it will be gone in a week the way this is going. Whats the best way to get up an inclined driveway? What angle should I use? I've tried just about everything but it still scrapes on medium-high inclines.
Old 11-17-05, 11:27 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

turn up the radio and avoid the noises. ha ha ha but honestly if you know its to high and you are coming in at an angle reverse and park on the street or other places that won't scratch you car. a long walk but its good to know you don't cry every time the metal piece on the cat scraps
Old 11-17-05, 11:29 AM
Gibenstein
Pole Position

Are you just on lowering springs ? If so I would suggest getting aftermarket struts for better stiffness... I had this problem with my eibach lowering springs and stock struts . I just said forget it and went with coilovers and dropped it same height but turned up the stiffness and my scraping problems went away but I sacrficed that with a much more hard ride. Turned out fine. Also you will learn on some inclines you have to go sideways up the incline, lol just goes with having your car lowered.

Last edited by Gibenstein; 11-17-05 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-17-05, 11:34 AM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

I'm on Tein He's. As for parking on the streets, most places dont allow that. You HAVE to pull into the parking lot, unless I'm in downtown. When I turn my car in more of an angle my exhaust gets hit and starts blowing white smoke like crazy. When I go relatively straight my front bumper gets smashed.
Old 11-17-05, 11:52 AM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

try to get right next to it, cut the wheel completely and pop that wheel up(if a quick little little curb) that'll get the front up, if you're scraping in the middle area, you're just real low, lol

usually try to have the wheel cut all the way in a direction, it has stopped me from scraping in my g/f's driveway a lot.(even though it's probably 1/10" difference)
Old 11-17-05, 11:54 AM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

bit more: whenever going over speed bumps and such i usually took them at about 45degrees, not because i was too low, but because then only one wheel was going through the cycling process at a time. if i went straight after going over the dump, the springs would compress from the drop and smash the car off the bump.
Old 11-17-05, 12:21 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

my tires actually tuck in with a intrax supra springs and koni shocks on 17in supra TT rims.. I bottom out on speed bumps sometimes, but its not as bad as my car i had before, a 95 trans am with a body kit, that thing was a snow plow
Old 11-17-05, 12:44 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm on tokico blues and espelir's i scrape sometimes on speed humps. just got to take it easy and take bumps etc at angles. It messes u up though I used to drive humvee's in the army the same way lol
Old 11-17-05, 04:58 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what tires sizes are you running?

I've found that with small tires you have to go much lower to eliminate the gap but with larger tires you are ok. I had some 215/45/17 on 17x9 before and had it very low and scraped everywhere (tein basic coilovers)

I'm lowered around 2" and I only seem to rub my 245/35/19 tires on the fender liner in and out of driveways
Old 11-18-05, 03:45 AM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LeXuSrAcIn
I cant pull into half the stores/driveways. Whats the best way to get up an inclined driveway? What angle should I use? I've tried just about everything but it still scrapes on medium-high inclines.
I had the same concerns myself at first. But you will get to know what you can and cant do eventually.
As far as parking lots , Im not sure if I'm the only one that has this problem . But if theres any type of incline or lip to the driveway , I will rub for sure if i take a right turn to enter. So i try whenever possible to come from the opposite direction.
Also another thought, is if you just recently dropped it, you may need to give the suspension time to settle too...... Oh and BTW did you do an alignment after you installed the coilovers? For me, that made a huge difference.
Old 11-18-05, 07:45 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

225 45 17s up front, 255 40 17s in rear. Soon to be 275 in a week. My car is LOWW, i guess it depends on your location in the world.. i know if i had my car where i used to live, maine, i woulda ripped off the exhaust already
Old 11-18-05, 10:06 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's why I went to 97+ bumper.
Doesn't look TOO bad with the rest of JIC kit, either.
Now I can actually go places.
Old 11-18-05, 03:42 PM
AURELIOMK3
Pole Position

ya it can be a pain some times, i am just use to it but the problem is ours cars are so long when you lower them theres more car left when you go up drive way not like a short base car like my miata , its slammed but it doens't scrap cause by the time the front wheels go up the rear are there two. its really prefence if you like to drive like you have a truck with no worries you may want to raise it back up cause when you lower you have to be careful for things good luck