Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bushing breakdown: control arms & sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-05, 04:22 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bushing breakdown: control arms & sway bar

I know this may come off as a strange question but I couldn't find an answer in the forums and I don't know if anyone can even answer this question other than Todd (doublewoosh).

Speaking of the Daizen lower control arm bushing kit, does anyone know if any of the other various bushings that are included in the kit are th same as the Daizen sway bar bushings? I have a box of leftover Daizen bushings at home and wanted to see if I could use the bushings in applications other than the lower control arms. I believe the sway bar bushings are 14MM bushings based on my research but I want to be certain before trying to use a few of these lca bushings on my rear sway bar.

Anybody know? anybody have any ideas? I only used 2 bushings total from the kit on my lca's so I wanted to see if I could put these other bushings to use somewhere other than my front suspension. Preferably the sway bars. I know it's a long-shot but hey...we need some fresh ideas around here! lol.

Holla and let me know what you all think.
Old 11-17-05, 04:45 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mike where you able to figure out the leaning on the driver side from the suspension? - philip -
Old 11-17-05, 04:50 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Suspension threads go in the suspension forum you newb.

Old 11-17-05, 04:52 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.

poor mike, an honest mistake right
Old 11-17-05, 05:03 PM
SCV8
Instructor

They are different, I'd probably put them in the other two holes in the front control arms.
Old 11-18-05, 12:37 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pilip99
mike where you able to figure out the leaning on the driver side from the suspension? - philip -
Philip, I thought I was having the same issue as Howie had (see his thread) and I jacked up my car and didn't see anything unusual. When I lowered it back down to the ground everything was even! So I thought maybe gravity pulling down on the wheel while the car was in the air might have made things "get right" on their own...so all was fine for a day and then my greedy azz messed the car up again by going to get some pizza from another strip mall with a steep driveway Clunk! by the time I parked my car was lopsided again and I was cussin' up a storm (again). I'm gonna jack the car up again tomorrow and see what's what. I need to get in touch with Todd to get some sway bar bushings as I want to install those and flip the end links around to get a little more clearance...this is all assuming I have the exact same problem as Howie. We'll see.

Not a mistake damnit. I posted it in the main SC forum so it would get more views. What I'm trying to do is see if we can use the other bushings that come in the DST lower control arm bushing kit in other applications on the car, specifically in the rear sway bar. When I bought my Daizen bushing kit it came with approx. 10 or so various bushings, of these I only used 2 so I still have the rest of these bushings just sitting up. I now want to add the DST sway bar bushings to my car and was curious to know if they were the same as any of these other remaining bushings I have sitting up, hence this thread. The only person I know for sure can answer this question is Todd, but I haven't been able to get in touch with him recently.

So, now you know...my goal was to get as many views from people who have experience with the Daizen sway bar bushings and the Daizen lca bushings and have them chime in. Trust me, I know where the suspension forum is B, lol...I spend too much time in there as it is!

Now then...chime in damnit!! Papa Mike needs answers!!
Old 11-18-05, 03:01 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

lol, so it became even then it became uneven again?? let me know what happens im curious to know too why the car gets uneven and even sometimes

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
Philip, I thought I was having the same issue as Howie had (see his thread) and I jacked up my car and didn't see anything unusual. When I lowered it back down to the ground everything was even! So I thought maybe gravity pulling down on the wheel while the car was in the air might have made things "get right" on their own...so all was fine for a day and then my greedy azz messed the car up again by going to get some pizza from another strip mall with a steep driveway Clunk! by the time I parked my car was lopsided again and I was cussin' up a storm (again). I'm gonna jack the car up again tomorrow and see what's what. I need to get in touch with Todd to get some sway bar bushings as I want to install those and flip the end links around to get a little more clearance...this is all assuming I have the exact same problem as Howie. We'll see.

Not a mistake damnit. I posted it in the main SC forum so it would get more views. What I'm trying to do is see if we can use the other bushings that come in the DST lower control arm bushing kit in other applications on the car, specifically in the rear sway bar. When I bought my Daizen bushing kit it came with approx. 10 or so various bushings, of these I only used 2 so I still have the rest of these bushings just sitting up. I now want to add the DST sway bar bushings to my car and was curious to know if they were the same as any of these other remaining bushings I have sitting up, hence this thread. The only person I know for sure can answer this question is Todd, but I haven't been able to get in touch with him recently.

So, now you know...my goal was to get as many views from people who have experience with the Daizen sway bar bushings and the Daizen lca bushings and have them chime in. Trust me, I know where the suspension forum is B, lol...I spend too much time in there as it is!

Now then...chime in damnit!! Papa Mike needs answers!!
Old 11-18-05, 04:52 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

So, now you know...my goal was to get as many views from people who have experience with the Daizen sawy bar bushings and the DAizen lca bushings and have them chime in. Trust me, I know where the suspension forum is...I spend too much time in there as it is!
My goal is to keep threads related to suspension in the suspension section.

Don't make me go get the gimp
Old 11-29-05, 01:55 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

My goal is to keep threads related to suspension in the suspension section.

Don't make me go get the gimp
Okay okay okay, lol. No gimp please.

Well, I think I figured out what the problem is. It appears that the sway bar end link on my driver's side is bent and the boots are split. Just great huh? The sway bar end link is actually "bowed" more than being bent.

I jacked the car up and decided to really look over every aspect of the rear sway. I bought some Daizen sway bar bushings and plan to install those within a week or so. Just so you know they aren't like any of the other bushings in the front lower control arm kit that Daizen makes, just FYI. Upon inspecting the end links I could see that on my driver's side the little ball joints are completely shot. The boots are split and the whole end link looks drunk. I plan to buy brand new OEM parts and also install those when I do my sway bar bushings. I guess I'll report back once I install all this stuff and let you all know what was improved. I'm about 99% sure this is what was causing my problem. When the new end links go on I will also flip them around to create more clearance so they don't get hung up on the struts, this is a problem when you lower your SC...and I was told that in some cases this will happen to a stock suspension SC as well.

At least the problem appears to be minor and can be fixed in my driveway in little time.
Old 11-29-05, 02:59 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

Okay okay okay, lol. No gimp please.

Well, I think I figured out what the problem is. It appears that the sway bar end link on my driver's side is bent and the boots are split. Just great huh? The sway bar end link is actually "bowed" more than being bent.

I jacked the car up and decided to really look over every aspect of the rear sway. I bought some Daizen sway bar bushings and plan to install those within a week or so. Just so you know they aren't like any of the other bushings in the front lower control arm kit that Daizen makes, just FYI. Upon inspecting the end links I could see that on my driver's side the little ball joints are completely shot. The boots are split and the whole end link looks drunk. I plan to buy brand new OEM parts and also install those when I do my sway bar bushings. I guess I'll report back once I install all this stuff and let you all know what was improved. I'm about 99% sure this is what was causing my problem. When the new end links go on I will also flip them around to create more clearance so they don't get hung up on the struts, this is a problem when you lower your SC...and I was told that in some cases this will happen to a stock suspension SC as well.

At least the problem appears to be minor and can be fixed in my driveway in little time.

sounds good mike, i'm gonna check the ball joints on mine soon too
Old 11-29-05, 03:49 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pilip99
sounds good mike, i'm gonna check the ball joints on mine soon too
yeah man, they're little but still clearly visible by looking behind the rear wheels. I didn't even really need to jack my car up to see it. One side is clearly straight and the other is arced, not a good look...and I'm sure the worn out ball joints is what's causing the suspsnsion noise. Damnit. At least the endlinks are only about $75 each from Lexus, which means it should be slightly cheaper by ordering them from Carson Toyota
Old 11-29-05, 03:51 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

Default .......

yeah man, they're little but still clearly visible by looking behind the rear wheels. I didn't even really need to jack my car up to see it. One side is clearly straight and the other is arced, not a good look...and I'm sure the worn out ball joints is what's causing the suspsnsion noise. Damnit. At least the endlinks are only about $75 each from Lexus, which means it should be slightly cheaper by ordering them from Carson Toyota
mike post some pics when ur suspension is fixed, Dang 75 bucks for endlinks are expensive !! , carson should be cheaper hopefully
Old 11-29-05, 11:23 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

They are a rip of. I just put new front end links on because mine were toast.
Old 12-04-05, 07:16 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you order from Carson yet? I was going to change both since I couldn't get my driver side off to change the LCA, but with $75 each I might just replace just that one . I thought that when we chage these thing it should go in pair like everything else. Let me know how much Carson charge you.

Thanks,