Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

i think i just got scammed...!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-05, 09:48 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i think i just got scammed...!

okay so my front brakes started grinding metal to metal really badly this Saturaday to the point where i practically had no stopping power left. so i drive to my uncle shop to get it done but he was closed.... i couldn't go anywhere until i got them fixed so i decide to go to another shop.... Oily's Lube & Tune in Fullerton. the owner seemed really cool and said he could do the front for 165. so i left my car there... then he calls me a couple hours later and said i needed to replace both my front calipers because they were both rusted out and one side the preasure plate wouldn't retract and the other side, he broke one of the bolts because it was rusted in. i go there to see it for myself and they were really rusty. he said he would give me the new calipers at his cost... $58 each. and no labor charge. i had no choice... he couldn't put my car back together without it so i said okay. i asked if i could take my old calipers so i can have my uncle take a second look... maybe even rebuild it since the ones he was going to be putting on weren't oem. but he said that he needed it for the core replacement or it would cost another $50 each to keep em. in the end, i paid close to 300. Did i get screwed??? i mean, yeah i got new calipers, but could mines have been saved??? he said they were extremely rusted out like my car has been in snow or something. and i know for a fact my car was originally from Jersey so i know my car may have these issues. but everything else under my car was spotless... owhat just happened here???
Old 11-28-05, 04:43 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you got scammed.
Old 11-28-05, 05:11 AM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe not. If you woul dhave done it yourself, you would have saved lots of money, but since you brought it to a local shop, you were charged the norm for labor, pads, calipers, fluids, etc.
Old 11-28-05, 08:32 AM
totrider
Lead Lap

It sounds about right for labor, pads, calipers, fluids - How long did it take them to do all that?
labor is usually about $50-$80 an hour ( at least down here in south florida)
I have friends & family that are mechanics.
Old 11-28-05, 09:24 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Done yourself, with simple hand tools, would have costed you under 100 bux.

Also if you had rims to fit it, LS400 calipers are only $45 at autozone with exchange (your sc300 calipers of course lol).
Old 11-28-05, 10:00 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
Also if you had rims to fit it, LS400 calipers are only $45 at autozone with exchange (your sc300 calipers of course lol).
They are???? Where can I find this in writing?? If that's the case I'll take my old SC calipers out of my garage and exchange them this weekend for LS ones and throw those on my brother's SC.

...But for some reason I don't think this is in effect in Los Angeles.

Give me more info on this one bro.

And BM, you just paid the normal going rate to have a shop do your brakes, that's all...at least you have a warranty
Old 11-28-05, 10:46 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Just walk into Advanced Auto or Autozone.. LS4 are in the $40s, and SupraTT's last i checked for $56 (2-3 weeks ago). Napa is about $20 higher. If i were you i'd got a junkyard and get some random calipers that look similar and are dirt cheap. Unless you have all the supporting parts to go along with those calipers (rotors, shim kit, etc), youll want to keep ur stock calipers til u get everything needed
Old 11-28-05, 12:03 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Unless you have all the supporting parts to go along with those calipers (rotors, shim kit, etc), youll want to keep ur stock calipers til u get everything needed
I have all my old stock crap from when I did the LS upgrade on my SC.

I thought it was "calipers for calipers+cash" though?...but it's actually LS calipers for SC calipers, rotors, shims, AND cash? I'll call and see, thanks bro...
Old 11-28-05, 12:17 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Around here, all u do is walk in, pay like $90-100 each (half is core charge), come back 20mins later, make sure its a female or someone thats dumb at the counter with some unknown stock cores in the box, and get your core $$ back. Just make sure when you buy em, u give em false address, and pay with cash so theres no chance it will come back and haunt you.
Old 11-28-05, 12:47 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

make sure its a female or someone thats dumb at the counter
wow

that whole switcharoo is shady bro
Old 11-28-05, 12:52 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by /Aerostar\
wow

that whole switcharoo is shady bro
yeah it is shady, but it works, every time. $100 for rebuilt calipers with warentee and pull the old switcharoo at autozone, or you can pay someone off supraforums or ebay $400 for used calipers that might need to be rebuilt. I'm already going to hell, so the choice is easy
Old 11-28-05, 07:05 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

Done yourself, with simple hand tools, would have costed you under 100 bux.

yeah i should have... but it being a holiday weekend, i had tons of family things to do so i just didnt have the time. but $45 for LS4? damn! shoulda just done that instead.......
Old 11-29-05, 01:57 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

sounds like fraud with the ol switcharoo
Old 11-29-05, 05:14 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Autozone had a good(great) price when I went to get a pair of calipersfrom them, problem was they just couldn't produce the goods/permanent back order/reality.
Old 11-30-05, 11:49 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SCV8
Autozone had a good(great) price when I went to get a pair of calipersfrom them, problem was they just couldn't produce the goods/permanent back order/reality.
i just checked last night, the local autozone has both supra and LS in stock!!

Quick Reply: i think i just got scammed...!