Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear brake Install ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-05, 10:17 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Rear brake Install ?

I posted this in the brake section but no replies... Mods..Please leave here until tomorrow thanks

Whats the easiest way to tackle this? I'm planning on doing this tomorrow.... Along with my new wheels hopefully.... This isn't to much of a dumb question just thought i would get some input on this....

Does this sound right?

Unbolt caliper
take out old pads
Push piston back
Install new pads
rebolt caliper

I'm i missing anything..... Thanks guys

Tony
Old 12-04-05, 01:58 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

I guess no one has replaced there rear brakes before here on CL....
Old 12-04-05, 02:18 PM
1st-Lex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not done brakes on my GS yet,but baring that the rear caliper pistons are not the kind that need to be Screwed in you got it right.This is whai i would do different,i would take the top off of the mastercylinder when depressing the calipers,but make sure you depress the piston SLOWLY so you dont squirt brake fluid out of the resivour,while doing the actual depressing i would also leave the old brake pad in the caliper to push against so that you donk make a mark in the piston,if you tear up the piston the brake will hang up.
Old 12-04-05, 02:31 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by 1st-Lex
I have not done brakes on my GS yet,but baring that the rear caliper pistons are not the kind that need to be Screwed in you got it right.This is whai i would do different,i would take the top off of the mastercylinder when depressing the calipers,but make sure you depress the piston SLOWLY so you dont squirt brake fluid out of the resivour,while doing the actual depressing i would also leave the old brake pad in the caliper to push against so that you donk make a mark in the piston,if you tear up the piston the brake will hang up.
Thanks for the reply Just wondering whats the purpose of unsrewing the mastercylinder cap. Is it to take air out of the lines or something.... I like the idea of using the old brake pad to push against..

Tony
Old 12-04-05, 02:59 PM
1st-Lex
Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Thanks for the reply Just wondering whats the purpose of unsrewing the mastercylinder cap. Is it to take air out of the lines or something.... I like the idea of using the old brake pad to push against..

Tony
The idea of taking off the cap is because the brake system is a sealed unit,& when you depress the piston the fluid will fill the mastercylinder,with the top on you will have to apply more pressure to colapse the piston.Just be sure to put it back on tightly when your done.
Old 12-04-05, 03:22 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do the same with the master cylinder. It makes pushing the caliper back in very very easy. I also am not sure if the piston is screw in or push in. My Miata has screw in pistons and is a pain to replace the pads.

Just go real slow when puching in the piston. I use a C-Clamp and the old pad and slowly turn down the clamp.
Old 12-04-05, 03:40 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I posted this in the brake section but no replies... Mods..Please leave here until tomorrow thanks

Whats the easiest way to tackle this? I'm planning on doing this tomorrow.... Along with my new wheels hopefully.... This isn't to much of a dumb question just thought i would get some input on this....

Does this sound right?

Unbolt caliper
take out old pads
take off caliper bracket
take off rear rotor
resurface rotor

Push piston back
Install new pads
rebolt caliper

I'm i missing anything..... Thanks guys

Tony
what u forgot in bold
Old 12-04-05, 05:24 PM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

I never resurface rotors, just replace the pads until the rotors are too thin, then replace 'em.
Old 12-04-05, 05:29 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

There is no need to resurface rotors when you do a brake change. Go to any dealership and see if they do it. Usually a resurface doesnt need to be done until about 50-60k. And at that point, you should consider replacement instead as they are starting to get mighty thin.

Other than that you got it down to a T.
Old 12-04-05, 05:40 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Thanks guys.... everyones been a big help.... I'm replacing the whole rotor with a pair of brembos and I'm not resurfacing.... thanks again for the tips...

Tony
Old 12-04-05, 07:56 PM
sociodcali
Driver School Candidate

If your removing the stock rotors, make sure you have two M7x 12mm or M8 x 12mm scews ( I can't remember which one it was, so I bought both). The stock rotors have two threaded holes. Use these holes to help push out the rotor. Good luck..
Old 12-05-05, 04:23 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by sociodcali
If your removing the stock rotors, make sure you have two M7x 12mm or M8 x 12mm scews ( I can't remember which one it was, so I bought both). The stock rotors have two threaded holes. Use these holes to help push out the rotor. Good luck..
Thanks a bunch
Old 12-05-05, 09:08 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

its exactly like the front except the spring kit that pushes the pads apart is a little harder to take off...

also if u want to remove the rotor view my post on this thread... at the bottom

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=147021&page=3
Old 12-05-05, 09:50 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

forgot to add some anti-squeal paste between the new brakepad and metal pad plate.
Old 12-05-05, 05:35 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stage3
There is no need to resurface rotors when you do a brake change. Go to any dealership and see if they do it. Usually a resurface doesnt need to be done until about 50-60k. And at that point, you should consider replacement instead as they are starting to get mighty thin.

Other than that you got it down to a T.
holy cow where do u take ur work done.
that dealership's csi must be very low. probably lots of comebacks with brake sqeeks.

heres what could happen if u dont resurface the rotors

uneven brake wear
the life of the pad wont last very long
puslation
brake sqeek

and yes i know my spelling sucks

Quick Reply: Rear brake Install ?