Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

strange griding noise when fully turned

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-05, 08:43 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
You guys going to Bayridge? Thats my dealer. Hey guys ask for marlon in Service, he is real cool. Bill, how are your ball joints? Could be that.

balljoints all new....installed beginning of summer.
Unless the 19's caused that much damage I highly doubt...I am still puzzled!!
The transit strike in NYC is not making it any better

Originally Posted by RRocket
I think people are missing the most critical part here, as I have the same problem. It can't be bearings, balljoints, etc...because 5 minutes prior when my 18's (and his 19's) were on, our balljoints, and bearings were perfectly fine and there was no grinding. So how in the space of a few minutes do those components go bad?? It's doubtful it's either of those components. Tomorrow when I get my car on the hoist, I'll have a look-see and let you know my findings...
Please let me know. I havent had time to put the car up and fully inspect.
Old 12-16-05, 02:19 AM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

took my passenger side wheel off today and inspected.
The inner side of the rim is scuffed up throughout the rim.
I still have no idea why this is happening.
Is there a remote chance that when I mod the car beginning of summer which was the shocks, springs, ball joint, tie rods, control arm that one of the component was reversed? IE passenger control arm installed on the driver side and etc.?????
Please help.

Last edited by sputniknyc; 12-16-05 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-16-05, 05:44 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

Good thing to do RRockett. I guess it could be the suspension components conforming to the bigger wheels. A perfect analogy would be a fat lady who sits in a chair. The cushion will conform to her fat ***. If you put a thin woman in that chair, it will not conform to her body since the fat lady really broke the chair in.
Old 12-16-05, 01:02 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

another thought...could it be my alignment is bad?
going from 19s to 17 stock started the problem.
any thoughts?
Old 12-16-05, 07:25 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Problem Solved!!

Ok...I put my car on the lift today, and like Sputnik, I have grinding on the inside of the rim. It turns out the tie rod ends are doing the grinding. I also had tie rods done this summer. The tie rods have a slight bend in it, and with the 18" wheels on, the rim is far enough away so that it doesn't scrape. However, with the 16" wheels on, the edge of the rim is closer (2" smaller on diameter), so it touches. What it all comes down to, is the TIE ROD WAS PUT ON WRONG. It appears that the tie rod can go on either way. That is to say the LH side will fit on the RH side and vice versa. And since the tie rod has that slight bend in it, it will run when put on the wrong way. So it appears that Sputnik and myself are victims the tie rods being put on wrong. Problem solved????
Old 12-21-05, 06:41 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RRocket
Ok...I put my car on the lift today, and like Sputnik, I have grinding on the inside of the rim. It turns out the tie rod ends are doing the grinding. I also had tie rods done this summer. The tie rods have a slight bend in it, and with the 18" wheels on, the rim is far enough away so that it doesn't scrape. However, with the 16" wheels on, the edge of the rim is closer (2" smaller on diameter), so it touches. What it all comes down to, is the TIE ROD WAS PUT ON WRONG. It appears that the tie rod can go on either way. That is to say the LH side will fit on the RH side and vice versa. And since the tie rod has that slight bend in it, it will run when put on the wrong way. So it appears that Sputnik and myself are victims the tie rods being put on wrong. Problem solved????

Wow, that's SICK