Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How do you adjust coilovers???

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-05, 06:19 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default How do you adjust coilovers???

I know this may sound stupid but I've read a couple places about how folks who have Tein CS Coilovers on their cars have the adjustable ones? How are they adjusted? I'm seriously considering getting a 2nd gen GS and I'd like to do the coilover suspension among wheel upgrades as soon as I get the car. I'm the kind of person that likes to tweak things to perfection at times and I'd like to figure out how these things are adjustable. Like do you have a **** in the car somewhere like how the Lex suspensions are setup or do you have to go under the car and adjust them from there? I have no clue in this area. Thanks in advance
Old 12-18-05, 06:35 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coilovers have 2 perches (nuts) on the bottom of the spring that you turn in one direction to lower and the other direction highers it.
Old 12-18-05, 06:35 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mike,

adjusting coilovers is easy but can be time consuming since you have to take off your wheels everytime you want to adjust.

adjusting is very simple..on the coilover, there are threads on the shock shaft which you can adjust with a wrench..you turn the nut on the shaft either clockwise or counter clockwise to raise or lower your suspension..thats it..once you get to your desired height, tighten everything up nice and you're done.

i would get coilovers over springs and shocks anyday..
Old 12-18-05, 06:39 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

mike,

here is a picture of a coilover setup..i think they are tein flex..but you can see the two nuts used for adjusting the height of a car.

Old 12-18-05, 11:54 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Calvin and rgarjr! I want to go with Coils when I get the next car. I hate the stock shocks/struts especially the ones I have on my ES. The worse thing about all of this is that after I took off the SC wheels for the winter, my struts have gotten worse. Like I hear bock sounds coming from the passenger front when I go over bumps now and the spring on the back left is weaker vs the right one back there (it would rub when I had a passenger sitting rear left only when I would have the SC430s wheels).

Now with my sub back there and my car kinda tilts a little lower in the back due to this 40lb sub box but I think that's normal? IMO, the coils look alot stronger vs. the stocks and I'm hoping they would solve some of these small headaches. Will I put them on the ES? Now that part that I'm not too sure since they run like 1300.00 a set and I don't plan on keeping this car too much longer

My stats: ES300 1999 Coach Ed. Bought it earlier this year at 71K now I just hit 79K and its mostly highway and some in town driving and I do whatever I can to avoid pot holes and bad bumps etc

Last edited by tiguy99; 12-18-05 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12-19-05, 06:52 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

mike,

don't spend anymore money on the es if you're going to sell it. take out all the aftermarket items and sell your car stock. you may want to advertise your car just a bit below market value to get people to come and look at your car.

good luck with selling your es and finding a gs..you won't be dissapointed when you get your gs!!