Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Calipers stickin but then they arent, i don't get it

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-05, 07:39 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFaSSter
I have seen brake lines that start to go bad internally and act as a one way valve of sorts. If the fluid in yours was real contaminated that could be a possibility.
What is being said is that the brake lines have an inner and outer tubes. The inner tube cracks and leaks between the two tubes. The inner tube then swells smaller inside than normal, thus, restricting the flow. But as your master cylinder pushes the fluid past the blockage to engage the brake, there is nothing but the master cylinder to suck the cups back. This is the "one way valve". If there is a free flow, this works. But with a restriction, the cups drag since the fluid cannot return to the master cylinder. Sometimes there is a bubble on the line, but not always.

Since this is with three wheels, it points to the brake lines. Hopefully, the system is not contaminated with rust because the fluid was never replaced. With a new brake job installed, the problem has been around a while... again a brake line symptom.
Old 12-26-05, 12:29 PM
GoFaSSter
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tammy
What is being said is that the brake lines have an inner and outer tubes. The inner tube cracks and leaks between the two tubes. The inner tube then swells smaller inside than normal, thus, restricting the flow. But as your master cylinder pushes the fluid past the blockage to engage the brake, there is nothing but the master cylinder to suck the cups back. This is the "one way valve". If there is a free flow, this works. But with a restriction, the cups drag since the fluid cannot return to the master cylinder. Sometimes there is a bubble on the line, but not always.

Since this is with three wheels, it points to the brake lines. Hopefully, the system is not contaminated with rust because the fluid was never replaced. With a new brake job installed, the problem has been around a while... again a brake line symptom.

You said that absolutely perfect.
Old 12-27-05, 06:32 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Thanks!!! THats some great advice....do you know the name of the actual part that might need replacement and price?? Thanks
Old 12-27-05, 09:08 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

go check ur brake fluid reservoir if its dark its time for a change...u probally have sludge built up
Old 12-27-05, 09:41 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

problem solved....temporarily.

Turns out my front calipers bolts were rusted up and didn't have any grease on em. The calipers themselves were good. REar caliper had very little grease bolts but they werent rusted, BUT i think the calipers are starting to go. I cleaned off the rusted bolts, regreased em. My car's temp has gone down, a little bit, feels like there is less drag and RPMs have drasticly gone down.
Attached Thumbnails Calipers stickin but then they arent, i don't get it-bad-bolt.jpg  
Old 01-10-06, 09:20 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Unhappy brake fluid flush? ?? ? ?

So i feel like my breaks are beginning to stick again now that it got below 30 degrees again.

Perhaps my brake fluid has gotten its use out of it and needs to be flushed and replaced. (It thickens up when it gets below freezing) How could i tell??? Any suggestions?