Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Does your SC have crappy handling?
Yes
47.30%
No
52.70%
Voters: 444. You may not vote on this poll

Does your SC have crappy handling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-08, 08:01 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Another local sc300 na-t owner raved about how much better his sc300 handled after the Lance toyota alignment specs as well. The only thing I'm concerned about is when you said this:
Originally Posted by WICKED SC4
...I looked down the other day I took a 90 degree corner @ 60mph. Holy cow what a difference!!!!...
90 degree turn at 60mph? What were you smoking and where did you do it?
Old 02-19-08, 09:13 AM
WICKED SC4
Driver

Originally Posted by dejacky
Another local sc300 na-t owner raved about how much better his sc300 handled after the Lance toyota alignment specs as well. The only thing I'm concerned about is when you said this: 90 degree turn at 60mph? What were you smoking and where did you do it?

Actually I can usually do that, but now it's so easy it's subconcious. The nose of the car goes exactly where you point it... I can hit apexes within a inch or two now, versus before 6 inches would be about norm. The LSD is going to make the handling razor sharp. When the 6sp manual tranny goes in this spring, man oh man, I'll take out Supras, Porsches and Ferrari's with suspension and tire. Those are not easy to take down.

I would not consider a stock SC sporty handling at all compared to my car now. Now I see what all these people are talking about that it handles poorly. Actually it is a great chassis. It just needs to be extracted.

I was completley right this time- the bad handling is subject to open diff, sloppy automatic, bad alignment, under-sized tires, engineered for comfort steering, and worn out suspension bushings and shocks.

I can't get over the steering! It is still light, but it is so percise now, and doesn't bite back! The car is wholly fun to drive fast now like the Supra was to me. The overall limits are lower, but that can be changed easily.
Old 02-19-08, 05:17 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wickedsc4, I hate to ask but how much is a TRD, LSD,installed. Ballpark.
Old 02-25-08, 06:28 AM
WICKED SC4
Driver

Originally Posted by over40driv
Wickedsc4, I hate to ask but how much is a TRD, LSD,installed. Ballpark.
LSD was $940 and the shim/seal/bearing kit you need to install it was $240.

Labor differs if you are willing to take the pumpkin off the car and just go to a diff shop or have a shop take it off for you and do the work. Big diff.

~$300 hand diff shop your pumpkin and LSD
~$1200-$1500 if you walk into a shop and have them do everything.

BTW, if your car is old the rubber couplers on the driveshaft can be cracked and busted. IT would be a good time to replace them too. Mine were so bad you can see light through them. If those fail, you can crash and hurt you and people around you. They are ~$150 for the aluminum Supra ones.

Last edited by WICKED SC4; 02-25-08 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-25-08, 07:27 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats not the first time Ive been warned to check the cond. of the driveshaft coupler. As soon as warm weather gets here, Im pulling my car in on the ramps and getting a strong flashlight and checking it out.
Old 02-25-08, 07:37 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by over40driv
Thats not the first time Ive been warned to check the cond. of the driveshaft coupler. As soon as warm weather gets here, Im pulling my car in on the ramps and getting a strong flashlight and checking it out.
one of mine was literally falling apart as well... contributed to a driveline vibration at certain speeds...

definitely check them both out...
Old 03-17-08, 11:19 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Negative ghost Rider...

All i have is Tein basics, some custom made Frame Bracers, and polyurethane Bushings...

I work at a ferrari and exotic car dealership... Iv driven everything from 512s to spyders, SC Still handles better, You can really Rocket it threw turns.

Once you get the feel for the car and how its a little longer then normal, You can really cut corners and power it threw
Old 03-20-08, 08:01 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
Negative ghost Rider...

All i have is Tein basics, some custom made Frame Bracers, and polyurethane Bushings...

I work at a ferrari and exotic car dealership... Iv driven everything from 512s to spyders, SC Still handles better, You can really Rocket it threw turns.

Once you get the feel for the car and how its a little longer then normal, You can really cut corners and power it threw
you are crazy... I think my SC handles great, and it does... but its nothing compared to a Ferrari 360... I've also driven a 348 challenge, and it is probably the best balanced, handling cars I've driven...

again, not saying any SC is a slouch by any means, but it definitely needs more work to compare to the exotics in terms of cornering...
Old 03-20-08, 02:38 PM
camberSC
Lexus Champion

I'm glad I went with Stance Coilovers... They handle like a champ!!!
Old 03-20-08, 05:05 PM
Konnan101
Pole Position

I'm thinking about a set of stances as my next upgrade...either those or an LSD if I can find one...how do you like em so far? hows the every day ride?
Old 04-04-08, 09:50 AM
sgunitkc
Driver

I just got my set of STANCE coilovers...will be installing this weekend
Old 04-21-08, 01:34 PM
WICKED SC4
Driver

Originally Posted by Konnan101
I'm thinking about a set of stances as my next upgrade...either those or an LSD if I can find one...how do you like em so far? hows the every day ride?
Personally, I would do a alignment and LSD. I would just throw on some bilstiens from a Supra and call it a day.

I drove through Topanga canyon in LA two weeks ago, raced some sports cars in the twisties. Downright handed a Vette and a BMW M6's @$$ to it in the twisties so bad they gave up.

IT WAS GLORIOUS!!! BWAHAHAHH.

Really though it was the most fun I have had in a car since high school. I was cutting apexes and powering through corners so naturally and easily like it was second nature. My passenger was freaking out so bad at first, but when he saw the car stuck like glue even on crappy tires he said, "Whoa this thing sticks in corners WAAAAY better that I thought it would!! I want to get one! This car handles amazing! way better than the BMW's I have driven!"

Nuff said.

my $0.02

My only regret with the car is I should have spent a little more and got the mucho better carbonfiber LSD. Lasts 10x longer work 70x longer service life than a metal one. No worries though the TRD one is never known to break and works like a charm.

Here is the one I would have got:
http://www.importedinnovations.com/p...oducts_id=5251

Last edited by WICKED SC4; 04-21-08 at 01:39 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 04-21-08, 02:05 PM
WICKED SC4
Driver

Cool

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
you are crazy... I think my SC handles great, and it does... but its nothing compared to a Ferrari 360... I've also driven a 348 challenge, and it is probably the best balanced, handling cars I've driven...

again, not saying any SC is a slouch by any means, but it definitely needs more work to compare to the exotics in terms of cornering...
I have driven exotics and actually most mid engine ferrari's I have experience with have touchy handling at the limit. They are neutral until you get close to 9/10th's or more then they bite. I have also driven 996 turbos, SL55, AMV8 Vantage, Diablo VT TT, Bentley GT, BMW M5, BMW M3, Ford GT, Carerra GT, CL65AMG, Murcilago, Viper TT, Cobra TT/SC, Supra Single turbo, GTO TT, Z06 TT, (can you tell I like cars?) and I think my SC400 is probably at the top or close to the top of my list of great handling cars NOW. That is, my TUNED SC400. Stock? Never. Handles like S#$%. I wasn't impressed by the handling in the least when I first got the car.

I agree with that guy, it does handle as well as those exotics or better than them TUNED. My car is neutral, well balanced, transitions well, progressive, forgiving, light on it's feet, grips, controllable in a slide, and stable at speed. Most of those exotics are a handful at the limit. ESPECIALLY the mid engine Ferrari's. Lambos are a handful in the twisties too. Tuned SC's have a nice balance of sporty handling, I have NEVER gotten beat in my AutoX class!!! I am usually two or three seconds off AWD slicks suspension turbo cars and Lotus elises with slicks. Before I did ANY mods. Bone Stock. (now I only have springs, LSD, and alignment with stock rims and tires-I still have blown shocks right now.)

Some new shocks, sway bar, and bigger rims and slicks, I bet $$ I could beat or match all the cars out there no matter what they are, even before I touch the engine, drivetrain, dig into the suspension seriously, and aero.

Benjamin
Old 04-21-08, 03:13 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
Negative ghost Rider...

I have the almost the same set-up and must throw a BS flag at you.

- Tein Basics
- Daizen CA bushings
- Daizen steering rack bushing
- Energy suspension front roll bar bushing
- 18x10s all around.

My car still handles like CRAP!
My friend's X3 i've been driving around has a better handling than my junker.
Old 04-21-08, 03:43 PM
ecstaticSC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SC does not have great handling, it might be good for a heavy car, but it will not do well on a serious track or autocross.

If you want something that hadles well get a s2000, mr2 or something along those lines.

Quick Reply: Does your SC have crappy handling?