Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Does your SC have crappy handling?
Yes
47.30%
No
52.70%
Voters: 444. You may not vote on this poll

Does your SC have crappy handling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-08, 03:17 PM
WICKED SC4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300STED
The SC does not have great handling, it might be good for a heavy car, but it will not do well on a serious track or autocross.

If you want something that hadles well get a s2000, mr2 or something along those lines.
I AutoX it and am very competitive. I track it too and own there also. I think maybe it might be driver or something like that. . .

NONE of the so called super handling cars like S2000 or ELISE's have touched my times in either roadracing or autox. How ya like dem apples?
Old 04-23-08, 05:26 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

^^ Not taking any credit from you but if guys in s2k's and elise's can't beat your auto sc400 in autox/road racing then they really must suck at driving .
Old 04-24-08, 07:15 AM
WICKED SC4
Driver

Originally Posted by 5spdSC300
^^ Not taking any credit from you but if guys in s2k's and elise's can't beat your auto sc400 in autox/road racing then they really must suck at driving .

Actually all of them are SCCA, PCA and Spring Mountain Driving instructors!
Old 04-24-08, 01:52 PM
WICKED SC4
Driver

5sp sc300, You must not have read pages 12-14 of this thread obviously, we already went over this in detail.

Lightness NOR Feel equals handling.
Just because it feels lighter doesn't mean it goes faster.
Just for PROOF,
Supra TT: 3415lbs
Takes a corner @ .98G's and slaloms @ 69.5mph bone stock 93'. 0-60 in 4.9s
A S2000: 2840lbs
Takes a corner @ .92G's and slaloms @ 68.9mph bone stock 04' 0-60 in 5.6s

I have driven both. The S2000 "feels" lighter and llike it can be thrown around easier, however the Supra can be braked deeper, later, thrown harder into a corner, accelerate sooner out of a corner, LET ALONE the better acceleration than the S2000. S2000 wouldn't have a chance. Still doesn't.

Feel can suck on my left cheek.
So can a S2000.

Official sources:

Supra
http://mkiv.com/publications/motor_t...3/mt893_12.jpg
S2000:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._test/(page)/1
Old 04-24-08, 02:20 PM
Dv8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car handles great. JIC FLT's, polyurethane bushings in the rear, mild weight reduction, light wheels, and the thing that ties it all together; R compound tires.
Old 04-24-08, 03:27 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by WICKED SC4
5sp sc300, You must not have read pages 12-14 of this thread obviously, we already went over this in detail.

Lightness NOR Feel equals handling.
Just because it feels lighter doesn't mean it goes faster.
Just for PROOF,
Supra TT: 3415lbs
Takes a corner @ .98G's and slaloms @ 69.5mph bone stock 93'. 0-60 in 4.9s
A S2000: 2840lbs
Takes a corner @ .92G's and slaloms @ 68.9mph bone stock 04' 0-60 in 5.6s

I have driven both. The S2000 "feels" lighter and llike it can be thrown around easier, however the Supra can be braked deeper, later, thrown harder into a corner, accelerate sooner out of a corner, LET ALONE the better acceleration than the S2000. S2000 wouldn't have a chance. Still doesn't.

Feel can suck on my left cheek.
So can a S2000.

Official sources:

Supra
http://mkiv.com/publications/motor_t...3/mt893_12.jpg
S2000:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._test/(page)/1
No i didn't read the entire thread . I never mentioned that the s2k or elise being lighter equated to better handling. I agree with your PROOF since it was never an issue brought up.

I know the supra can be made to handle pretty damn well. Andi Baritchi's supra did very well in one lap of America. I was just basing my opinion off some personal experience and trusted sources. I know i was def faster in my friends s2k than my bone stock sc300 5speed @ button willow but then again i am by no means a road racer .
Old 04-25-08, 06:56 AM
WICKED SC4
Driver

No i didn't read the entire thread . I never mentioned that the s2k or elise being lighter equated to better handling. I agree with your PROOF since it was never an issue brought up.

I know the supra can be made to handle pretty damn well. Andi Baritchi's supra did very well in one lap of America. I was just basing my opinion off some personal experience and trusted sources. I know i was def faster in my friends s2k than my bone stock sc300 5speed @ button willow but then again i am by no means a road racer .
The issue was that you said,"If you want something that hadles well get a s2000, mr2" and "^^ Not taking any credit from you but if guys in s2k's and elise's can't beat your auto sc400 in autox/road racing then they really must suck at driving"

Implying that the issue was the S2000 and MR2 are better handlers. They both are lighter, which is why I presented the weight and "feel" issue. Common arguing points that are not spoken, but implied. MR2? Have you ever drove one at the limit? I assume you are talking about the turbo one. I race them too. Not too competitive in stock form, modded a different story.

S2000 is a good handling car, but it is not so much farther ahead than a 14year old SC400. I don't think it is farther at all after an alignment, LSD, suspension and tire upgrade...

The engine is one reason, the SC400 makes the same max power, but the powerband is so much bigger and flatter that the torque can be put down easier on the longer wheelbase. It may have the disadvantage on paper, however I actually raced one and pulled it on a straight road. I beat them at the twisties too.

Do Lance's alignment specs on your SC300 and see if you feel the same way about your car
Old 04-25-08, 08:50 AM
Dv8
Pole Position

Do Lance's alignment specs on your SC300 and see if you feel the same way about your car
Where are these magical alignment specifications. I'd like to compare it to what we're using.
Old 04-25-08, 10:36 AM
WICKED SC4
Driver

Caster isn't what wears your tires as much. Toe is. Zero out your toe and your wear problems will go away. I have put in a very good setting at the bottom of this post to go by. You can start from there, it is no race setup but a good street setup with better tire wear than stock. Use it to start from.

You usually have to specifiy the caster and usually an typical alignment shop won't do it other than *factory* specs. You might have to find a racing suspension shop or race shop that is skilled in tuning chassis for the track. They will usually be the ones to give you an accurate setting. Some joe-blow alignment shop will "do" the work and say it is at your spec but it really is not.

Suspension specs:

Front:

Camber - 1.0 degrees

Caster + 5.0 degrees

Toe 0.00 mm

Rear:

Camber -1.5 degrees

Toe in (total) 1.00 mm

(on 255/40R17 tires this rear toe equates to .090 deg, i.e. .045 deg per side)
(on 275/40R17 tires this rear toe equates to .088 deg, i.e. .044 deg per side)

The Front and Rear Toe are critical to tire wear, even small deviations from spec may cause unusual wear patterns or excessive wear.

2. What is the Stock Toyota Alignment?
Front:

Camber - 0.5 degrees +/- 0.75

Caster +3.5 +/- 0.75 degrees

Toe 0.00 +/- 0.080" (2 mm)

Rear:

Camber -1.50 +/- 0.75

Toe in (total) 0.120" (3mm) +/- 0.080" (2mm)

To Calculate Degrees of Toe When Given mm of Toe:
*Note that this is dependent upon the wheel diameter and tire diameter

Formula: Calculate the Wheel + Tire Diameter (in mm) for the stock rear wheel + Tire
Example: (2 * tire width * aspect ratio / 100) + (wheel diameter) = wheel + tire diameter
(2 * 255mm * .4) + (17 * 25.4) = 635.8 mm

Here the goal is 1 mm of total toe in. (This is 0.5 mm on the driver rear tire and 0.5 mm on the passenger rear tire.)

We want to calculate the angle each side wheel + tire must deviate from a line parallel to the centerline of the car.
arcsin(0.5 mm / 635.8 mm) = .045 deg
.045 deg per side * 2 sides = .09 deg total toe in
It's on pg 13 of this thread... read from 12 on to catch up.
This is a start- not an end. I would use this setting as a base...

That goes for you too ChronoJ1...Try it- I think you'll be impressed.

Last edited by WICKED SC4; 04-25-08 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-25-08, 11:20 AM
Dv8
Pole Position

I dont know if I want to read that much LOL. Thank you though.

Those suggested specs are pretty tame.. basic performance upgrade for virtually stock car I daresay. Though I do not know what our cars caster angles were at, the camber and toe was much, much more agressive even for street use with our shop car.. my car just has stock alignment for the time being, as I am waiting for new coilovers / wheels / tires.
Old 04-25-08, 05:31 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

The issue was that you said,"If you want something that hadles well get a s2000, mr2" and "^^ Not taking any credit from you but if guys in s2k's and elise's can't beat your auto sc400 in autox/road racing then they really must suck at driving"

Implying that the issue was the S2000 and MR2 are better handlers. They both are lighter, which is why I presented the weight and "feel" issue. Common arguing points that are not spoken, but implied. MR2? Have you ever drove one at the limit? I assume you are talking about the turbo one. I race them too. Not too competitive in stock form, modded a different story.

S2000 is a good handling car, but it is not so much farther ahead than a 14year old SC400. I don't think it is farther at all after an alignment, LSD, suspension and tire upgrade...

The engine is one reason, the SC400 makes the same max power, but the powerband is so much bigger and flatter that the torque can be put down easier on the longer wheelbase. It may have the disadvantage on paper, however I actually raced one and pulled it on a straight road. I beat them at the twisties too.

You should go back and reread my post. No where did i say "If you want something that hadles well get a s2000, mr2". I did imply that that s2000 and elise are better handling cars with my comment below.
^^ Not taking any credit from you but if guys in s2k's and elise's can't beat your auto sc400 in autox/road racing then they really must suck at driving"
Like i mentioned before, i was just going off my personal experiences and trusted sources. I am not a road racer and don't think i have enough knowledge to debate which is better handling.

Funny you bring up the MR2. I've owned 3 (2 turbos and 1 na) so i've had my share of experiences with them from bone stock turbo to 380whp on 91 pump and over 450whp on race gas.

Now one thing that i do feel comfortable debating about is your comment on how you beat s2k's in straight line. The sc400 is roughly a 15 second car and your going to tell me you can beat s2k's, which are easy high 13 to low 14 second cars, in a straight? Of course im comparing stock times and assuming you have no motor mods.
Old 04-26-08, 08:28 PM
WICKED SC4
Driver

You should go back and reread my post. No where did i say "If you want something that hadles well get a s2000, mr2". I did imply that that s2000 and elise are better handling cars with my comment below.
Like i mentioned before, i was just going off my personal experiences and trusted sources. I am not a road racer and don't think i have enough knowledge to debate which is better handling.

Funny you bring up the MR2. I've owned 3 (2 turbos and 1 na) so i've had my share of experiences with them from bone stock turbo to 380whp on 91 pump and over 450whp on race gas.

Now one thing that i do feel comfortable debating about is your comment on how you beat s2k's in straight line. The sc400 is roughly a 15 second car and your going to tell me you can beat s2k's, which are easy high 13 to low 14 second cars, in a straight? Of course im comparing stock times and assuming you have no motor mods.
Where I live I have never seen a S2000 run anwhere near a 13sec q-mile. Not even the turbo ones.they are not exactly easy to drag race.I have a high stall torque converter. I am not doubting your info,just telling you what my experience was.maybe he couldn't drive.
Old 04-27-08, 06:39 AM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Where I live I have never seen a S2000 run anwhere near a 13sec q-mile. Not even the turbo ones.they are not exactly easy to drag race.I have a high stall torque converter. I am not doubting your info,just telling you what my experience was.maybe he couldn't drive.
2006 Honda S2000 5.5 14.0 (C&D May '06)
1993 Lexus SC 400 7.2 15.4
1995 Lexus SC 400 7.0 15.2

Now going off these numbers, i don't think a high stall torque converter will drop your 1/4 mile time by over a second. That guy must have been a horrid driver to loose a 1 second advantage.
Old 04-30-08, 12:31 PM
WICKED SC4
Driver

Cool

Actually, I copied pasted from your post on the handling comment

I would say I disagree on the TQ converter comment... You obviously have not driven one before and after... Any other 91-96 SC400's that have got a high stall, chime in (insert: Jibby) The reason the SC400 even does a 15 in the first place is becuase of the TQ converter...

Stock: It would roll (literally) off the line and then about 30mph kind of ooze into the power where then it wouldn't fall off power... Lexus did not want the V8 to snap your neck off when you punch it from a stop, so they designed a super sloppy TQ converter to ABSORB the shock of the V8. Now, it doesn't ooze at all. It's more Domestic V8 now than lexus in terms of throttle response.

Now, I can stall it into the powerband and actually spin the tires dry all the way up to 35-40mph. Impossible to do that in the dry with the stock converter. Never falls off power, the 0-60mph time ALONE drops by over a second. I timed my car unofficially 0-60 about ~5.5 sec. If it is true then yes, it would drop not only the 0-60 but the q-mile time by over a second. Anyone with a stock SC400 92-96 that lives by me feel free to contact me to do a comparison test

There is no way a S2000 can run anything close to a 14.0 here at this altitude-(2700ft elevation) nor have I ever seen one do it like I said earlier... Most of them lightly modded run mid 15's all day long. I have seen a turbo one run a 14.2.

Magazine times are not real world times...

Not arguing with you- actually agree with you. Have a great day!
Old 04-30-08, 01:54 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i've seen stock s2k's run pretty consistent low 14's, they are not rockets but they are definetly faster in a standing 1/4 mi then a stock sc400..

now from a roll i guess it could depend, if the sc was in the right rpm range i could see it pulling off from a s2k..

Quick Reply: Does your SC have crappy handling?