Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Having a hard time choosing between Coilovers and Shock Spring combo.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-05, 06:21 PM
SharpCreas
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having a hard time choosing between Coilovers and Shock Spring combo.......

Yeah guys its been killing me to choose between the both. I've done every search possible and still can't find the answer I want(guess i want too much lol). But seriously, alot of you guys say that coilovers are the way to go but when i ask people that work in performance shops, they tell me that the coilovers will be a worse ride than a shock spring combo because of the width of the spring versus coil. They tell me that the spring is wider, therefore has a more comfortable ride. I know i know, i know,,,, i shouldn't take advise from performance shops that do most suspension jobs on hondas and other imports but it kinda makes you wonder if their right. I rather take you guys advise since this is a actual sc forum, plus you guys always gave me the better advise.

Anyway, I narrowed it down between the Eibach and Tokico or the Tein superstreet. I have a 93 SC400 and i'm puting a lips body kit all around plus im gonna get a staggered 19" setup on the wheels. I'm NOT gonna use it for track perposes,,,,, only street and daily driving so i want the ride quality to be very close to stock. Also, im not looking to slam the car either, just a 1 or 2" drop mabey to make it look even and nice. Which of the two setups sounds like the one to go with given the info about what im looking for????????? Thanks BTW, if you have any other suspension setup reccomendations please feel free to list them for me.
Old 12-23-05, 06:53 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a good ride, go for shocks spring combo, i personally are not too keen about the Tein SS.

If you decide to go for coilovers anyway, then go for the Tein Flex or CS.
Old 12-23-05, 07:08 PM
SharpCreas
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't they stop making the Tein CS
Old 12-23-05, 07:10 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Angry

Man we all already went through this.

You even asked the same question and got an answer.

Just put your money up for the real thing. Get the Tein SS and be happy with your decision. You cannot get any better over-all well-rounded coilover like this. You get the balance of performance, streetability with a pretty smooth ride. Tein CS is probably too much money for you and so are the flex. Trust me, with the money that you want to spend, just get what most have been suggesting. We all want different things with our different budgets.

No matter what if you get 19's, you're going to feel something in the road. I don't understand why you always ask the same questions, do something with the money you want to spend and throw it down.
Old 12-25-05, 05:11 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SharpCreas
..when i ask people that work in performance shops, they tell me that the coilovers will be a worse ride than a shock spring combo because of the width of the spring versus coil. They tell me that the spring is wider, therefore has a more comfortable ride. I know i know, i know,,,, i shouldn't take advise from performance shops that do most suspension jobs on hondas and other imports but it kinda makes you wonder if their right..
I never take advice from anyone who is mostly honda experienced, or anyone that has never touched an SC. I think Coilovers are wayyyy better than spring/shocks but then again it has a little to do with prefrence. Yes prefrence. Some people here on the forum fix up their SCs for show of just to cruise around in. So most of them prefer the shock/spring combo because its costs less and the ride is great. I myself dont have a problem with them but I'd prefer the Coilover setups. Other people who go out and like to have fun on the twisties and take turns hard, or just want their car to sit low to the earth, like to get coilovers or dampers because you can adjust them in so many ways.

The Tein SS are perfect! I cant remember how many ways adjustable they are but they are definetly a great buy. They are EDFC compatible and if you are looking to get them at a great price just go to L-tunedparts.com. They are great!

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=200