Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Installed TRD Sway bars and got ABS and VSC Lights.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-06, 01:19 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soldering cables

If you wish to try this method, it has apparently been done before by another member on the forums. But.....Read the instruction very carefully because you only get once chance at it.

I also did try to do this, but was unsucessful as I really didnt know what I was doing and ended up grinding away too much black plastic sheathing. My wires ended up being so short that I could not get a good solder contact.

I ended up buying the cable after 2 hours of unsuccessful soldering.

At least if you take your cable apart, you will indeed see how delicate the wire is (very thin) and how it did separate from the sensor, even while the cable appeared fully intact.

peace
b
Old 01-04-06, 08:44 AM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

if toyota knows that people r breaking these wires very easily .. even trained mechanic i just dont see why they dont beef it up or redesign how it is situated...ya kno?
Old 01-04-06, 10:57 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam2562
if toyota knows that people r breaking these wires very easily .. even trained mechanic i just dont see why they dont beef it up or redesign how it is situated...ya kno?
Well, swapping out sways are not common work that most owners (beyond enthusiasts) do. Now that the car is out of production, a redesign is not going to happen. The info is here on CL so hopefully enthusiasts can take advantage of it and avoid the problem.
Old 01-04-06, 02:41 PM
GsUnit
Rookie

yup i bet its the abs sensor, they must have puLled on it or somethin. it wiLL run you about $250.00 if u do it yourself.
Old 01-04-06, 04:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
Well, swapping out sways are not common work that most owners (beyond enthusiasts) do. Now that the car is out of production, a redesign is not going to happen. The info is here on CL so hopefully enthusiasts can take advantage of it and avoid the problem.
and i hate to say, a good well-trained mechanic shouldn't run into such errors of pulling hard on that delicate wire
Old 01-05-06, 12:01 AM
BadAssGS3T
Driver

One of my ABS sensors was bad and the mechanic that works on my car was able to figure out which one went bad by using an ohm meter . Apparently the resistance of the sensor needs to be within a certain range. If the resistance (or was it the voltage) measured is not within the prescribed range for a particular sensor, it simply means that the sensor must be replaced. There is a program called alldata, that they use at that shop, which should be able to provide you with the exact numbers. I don't have it myself but If anyone here has that program, may be they won't mind looking at the values for you. Once you have the values, you should be able to do the testing and conduct the replacement on your own. Al least you won't have to spend your money blindly replacing both sensors as they are fairly expensive. Good luck.
Old 01-05-06, 06:41 AM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

hey man, where have you been, i havent seen the car since i was in veagas, would like to see some update pics as i know CL would too.. come on!!!!!
Old 02-02-06, 07:54 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAssGS3T
One of my ABS sensors was bad and the mechanic that works on my car was able to figure out which one went bad by using an ohm meter . Apparently the resistance of the sensor needs to be within a certain range. If the resistance (or was it the voltage) measured is not within the prescribed range for a particular sensor, it simply means that the sensor must be replaced. There is a program called alldata, that they use at that shop, which should be able to provide you with the exact numbers. I don't have it myself but If anyone here has that program, may be they won't mind looking at the values for you. Once you have the values, you should be able to do the testing and conduct the replacement on your own. Al least you won't have to spend your money blindly replacing both sensors as they are fairly expensive. Good luck.

I recently rebuilt one of mine. The sensor should be around 1.6-1.75k ohms. Most however will show nothing as the wire is broken. Also pulling the DTC code by using a simple wire will give the code corresponding to the defective sensor such as LF, LR, RR, RF.
Lee
Old 05-17-06, 05:37 PM
cartechpr
Driver

HOw did you rebuild your sensors?