Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Installed TRD Sway bars and got ABS and VSC Lights.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-06, 02:25 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed TRD Sway bars and got ABS and VSC Lights.

So installed TRD sway bars everything was fine. About 15 min into driving the car I got ABS and VSC and VSC off lights come on.

What do you guys think it may be? I'm not sure where to start execpt the ABS sensors? How do I reset the fix when I do find/fix the problem.

Thanks
Old 01-01-06, 03:03 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man,

I gave in and bought an OBD2 scanner. You should look at getting one. Check your codes and clear them

Jonny
Old 01-01-06, 03:06 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Hey man,

I gave in and bought an OBD2 scanner. You should look at getting one. Check your codes and clear them

Jonny
how much $$ ?
Old 01-01-06, 03:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm seems like something got loose during the install? o2 sensor?
Old 01-01-06, 03:13 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
how much $$ ?
I paid $200+ tax for it.

It came with connectors for all cars so I can use it for my Expedition as well. Lets you see present codes, pending codes, freeze frames and also lets you clear them.

I got mine because I got a supercharger and knew I would run into some CEL problems. No problem there - but then I bought a Ford and knew I would need it

Jonny
Old 01-01-06, 04:29 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

hahaahhhaahah ford... the only ford i would buy is a turbo diesel
Old 01-01-06, 06:48 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Hummm. Thats odd I dont have any CEL on? But my ABS and VCS and VCS off lights are all on. I went to auto zone and had them pull the codes via OBDII but noting came up? Not sure what to do now.

Does anyone have any idea's?
Old 01-01-06, 07:09 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

ummm i would take a look and see if anything got loose..i dont see how u could of knocked an abs sensor during install..
Old 01-01-06, 09:04 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

Default Sway bar install - Speed Sensor cable

I have come across other threads here where folks had mistakenly installed their sway bar upside down which did not allow enough clearance for the ABS/Speed sensor cable when going over bumps. After going over a bump, the top of the sway bar hit the sensor cable and broke it, hence the lights you mentioned come on.

Two solutions for you to try. Perform a search on the Club lexus to see whether you have your sway bar mounted upside down. In the threads, you will find photos of a properly mounted sway bar. If that is the case, have it re-installed properly, and this should fix your problem with the cable. If a shop was the ones who improperly installed the Sway bar, they will probably have to pay to redo the repair and pay for your cable.

Another possible scenario is that your Sway bar is mounted correctly but the speed sensor cable is not properly reattached, or got severed during the install. It is really hard to know if your speed sensor cable is working broken because it breaks internally, thus by looking at the cable itself, it still will appear to be fully intact. When it breaks, its the tiny wires inside which are damaged and the whole cable has to be replaced. Fortunately, itis very easy to fix yourself with just a 10mm wrench and a phillips screw driver (when the car is jacked up and the wheel removed). 20 minute job and the part can be ordered at Carson Toyota for under $200.

Once the cable is replaced, your VSC off, VSC on, and ABS lights will turn off. It should be noted that you currently do not have VSC or ABS until you get fixed.

Good luck
b
Old 01-02-06, 12:29 AM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

ok cool problem solved thanks to red baron and this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=Sway+bar

The bar was install upside down so after 20min I installed it the right way. but the VSC and ABS lights are still on. So the speed sensor cable was damaged. I wonder if the dealer will have that part?
Old 01-02-06, 12:33 AM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Also how do I know which side was damaged? Or should I just replace both?
Old 01-02-06, 01:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LasVegasGS
ok cool problem solved thanks to red baron and this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=Sway+bar

The bar was install upside down so after 20min I installed it the right way. but the VSC and ABS lights are still on. So the speed sensor cable was damaged. I wonder if the dealer will have that part?
oh man this could be bad. so it's the speed sensor damaged not the abs sensor right? i don't know how you can determine what's damaged, but if it's say the abs sensor it's pretty costly
Old 01-02-06, 07:45 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

well if ur handy try and see if u can solder the wires back together... never hurt to try
Old 01-02-06, 09:26 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

see if the abs sensor cables are pinched where the sways hit. try to loosen the line and push them back together and it may work. most likely the sensors were pinched when the car decompressed like going down a driveway or speedbump.
Old 01-02-06, 01:13 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

Default ABS Sensor = Speed Sensor

Its going to be really hard to know which side got broken. The best place to purchase the cable is Carson Toyota (steve ganz). They will get you the best price hands down. I had to replace one side speed sensor cable on my car when my ball joint broke. Fortunately It was obvious which side cable i needed to replace and shopped around for the cable. Carson Toyota had the best price.

It should be noted that the ABS Sensor and Speed Sensor are the same cable. If you're really not sure which side broke, you could just order one side and replace it. If it fixes the problem than thats great. If it doesnt fix it, you will have to order and replace the other side as well. Doing this will take additional time, but might save you around $175 by not having to replace a part which is not broken. As this is not a maintenance part, I would only replace what needs to be replaced.

Anyhow, glad you figured out that your cable was improperly installed. Hope you can get your cable fixed.

Peace
b

Quick Reply: Installed TRD Sway bars and got ABS and VSC Lights.