Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Which Big Brakes are the best for the bucks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-06, 06:13 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
is the supra setup heavier than stock?
Yes, they are heavier. There are posts out there comparing weight for several big brake calipers, rotors, etc if you care to search for them.

Oh ok, here's one of the posts found by searching for 'supra caliper weight'
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...caliper+weight
Old 01-03-06, 06:21 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Rotors are a little heavier. Calipers are about the same. Braking difference is dramatic. However based on your post you may just want to go with better pads such as Hawk HPS and some rotors.
Lee
Old 01-03-06, 08:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Rotors are a little heavier. Calipers are about the same. Braking difference is dramatic. However based on your post you may just want to go with better pads such as Hawk HPS and some rotors.
Lee
yeah, the calipers alone they are about the same between stock and supra tt.

and lee, i have the hps for my ap racing right now as well. man i love those stuff! it's really right in the middle. not much brake dust and braking is very good!
Old 01-03-06, 10:52 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah, the calipers alone they are about the same between stock and supra tt.

and lee, i have the hps for my ap racing right now as well. man i love those stuff! it's really right in the middle. not much brake dust and braking is very good!
Hmmm Henry, sounds like someone needs rear brakes.
Old 01-03-06, 11:22 PM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

supra tt brakes sounds the best for now. i would love to get som AP Racing BBk... but their not in my budget at the moment. i still need to get rims before i get some brakes.
i learned so much about bbk's thanks everyone
Old 01-04-06, 07:32 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
IMO you can get 85% of the performance of big brakes with upgrades to your OEM system (high end pads, synthetic fluid, stainless steel lines)
Pads, fluid and lines make that much difference? When you do lines, do you need to do all four?
Old 01-04-06, 08:34 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea it makes that much of a difference for real!
Yes you do all 4 lines at once, all the kits I have seen include four lines. YOu can buy just the lines from Tire rack
Old 01-04-06, 11:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Pads, fluid and lines make that much difference? When you do lines, do you need to do all four?
definitely do 4..... doing 2 is a big big mistake, basically you are putting most pressure in the other 2 rubber lines, which is not good at all

and yes, especially pads, they made HUGE difference
Old 01-05-06, 12:27 AM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Henry, any recommendation for brake pads & brake fluid?
Old 01-05-06, 12:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

personally i have tried pigid racing pads, then ebc green stuff, and now i am on the hawk hps. the pigid racing pads are really for racing, when it's cold, the brakes are stupid -- they don't stop, but when they are warmed up, they stop crazy. but they eat up rotors like no tomorrw too. the ebc green stuff are ok, braking power was much reduced, but much less dust

i have the hawk hps now and i have to say i love them the most. good performance warm and cold (warm is better of course), and almost no dust as well. that's my new love

and about fluid, i have the motul 600 fluid (stillen recommended them when i got my ap racing). good stuff, i don't have problems, and from what i read they are among the high end list
Old 01-05-06, 12:51 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Xlnt recommendation Henry. 100% in agreement. Hawk HPS are very nice pads. Motul is well known as well. Man we need to setup a SC430 meet. wait..wrong forum.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 01-05-06 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-05-06, 01:00 AM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the info guys......
Also, how about the rotors? Do rotors play a big factor in stopping? And what is the difference between 1-piece & 2-piece rotors?
Old 01-05-06, 01:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

rotors don't really play role (given the same size) in breaking, however, you need good ones to withstand the heat and also the friction from the pads. put on a bad one and it gets too hot and doesn't dissipate heat fast enough causing warpage. also aggressive pads will cut into bad rotors way too fast and also cost warpage.

that's why if you get good pads, you need to get good rotors to make sure they are "matching"

and 2 piece rotors in general are better for couple of reasons
1) they are usually lighter (for the same size), since the center part is made of aluminum (the hat) so it's lighter than one piece
2) if designed correctly, it also helps to dissipate heat faster
Old 01-05-06, 01:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oh and before you ask, personally if someone come and tell me they want less expensive upgrades, i would really suggest BLANK brembo rotors, good pads, and ss lines. yes, blank rotors. imho slotted and drilled, they are more for look and doesn't really do that much for street use. might as well spend less money and get good brembo blank rotors for like 60 or 70 bucks. it goes a long way
Old 01-05-06, 01:39 AM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
rotors don't really play role (given the same size) in breaking, however, you need good ones to withstand the heat and also the friction from the pads. put on a bad one and it gets too hot and doesn't dissipate heat fast enough causing warpage. also aggressive pads will cut into bad rotors way too fast and also cost warpage.

that's why if you get good pads, you need to get good rotors to make sure they are "matching"

and 2 piece rotors in general are better for couple of reasons
1) they are usually lighter (for the same size), since the center part is made of aluminum (the hat) so it's lighter than one piece
2) if designed correctly, it also helps to dissipate heat faster

Henry, so do u think I should keep my OEM calipers and upgrade them or I should get a new BBK kit?

Quick Reply: Which Big Brakes are the best for the bucks?