Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front rattle over small bumps--wierd

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-06, 12:33 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Chi-TownGS
I just replaced the front mounts. The mounts didn't really have a bushing per se on them. The mounts are like 97% metal and then in the middle of them, where the strut connects to them, there's a small amount of hardened rubber. Quite frankly, given that the mounts were metal and didn't crack I didn't think they were faulty. However, maybe that rubber part goes bad and causes the noise. I don't know. But I do know that it fixed the problem.

The old mount had some thin gasket material on it where it connects to the strut tower. The new mounts didn't come with a gasket, but I made my own with some gasket material from Autozone. Then I tightened everything to O.E. specs and I was good to go.
Interesting. Were you able to take a look at the old strut mounts? Was that little piece of rubber worn or cracked?
Old 02-28-06, 12:32 AM
pianovt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chi-TownGS
Removal and installation of the struts is actually pretty easy.
Chi-Town,

Did you have to remove the lower control arm at both ends to get the strut out? Is it possible to just remove the lower shock bolt and the three strut mount nuts at the top and then work the strut out without removing any bolts on the lower control arm? Thanks,

VT
Old 02-28-06, 05:06 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by pianovt
Chi-Town,

Did you have to remove the lower control arm at both ends to get the strut out? Is it possible to just remove the lower shock bolt and the three strut mount nuts at the top and then work the strut out without removing any bolts on the lower control arm? Thanks,

VT
My Lexus tech told me that it is possible to do it this way. He says you can slide the strut right out without removing the control arm (or other pieces of the suspension).
Old 02-28-06, 11:53 AM
pianovt
Rookie

Originally Posted by e-man
My Lexus tech told me that it is possible to do it this way. He says you can slide the strut right out without removing the control arm (or other pieces of the suspension).
Thanks, e-man. I was looking at it and it seems like it could just barely work, but I couldn't tell for sure.

VT
Old 02-28-06, 03:40 PM
pianovt
Rookie

Originally Posted by BklynGS
If you hear the rattle when going up or down driveways from the street, check your strut mount on that side. i had the same problem with my GS. At the dealership twice and they told me nothing was wrong with the suspension. Took it to my girlfriend's uncle, who owns mechanic shop, and he found the problem right away. Open your hood and have someone just let the car roll down the driveway onto the street, and put your ear close to the strut mount, you will hear the noise coming from there if thats the problem. Take off that plastic cap on the strut mount first, you should even see the top of the strut moving a little when going down the driveway or over bump. The strut mount is like $70 bucks, don't know how much for labor (he didn't charge me )
Anyway, good luck finding the noise, i absolutely can't stand noises in my car.
I think you guys are onto something!

First of all, my car is a 2002 GS300, completely stock, only 29,000 miles. The car was never driven hard. There is no evidence of any problems with bushings or ball joints, all is tight.

I was just thinking of taking the front strut out when I read all these posts and it crossed my mind to do a simple experiment. I loosened the shock nut at the top of the strut mount about one or two turns and took the car around the block riding slowly over some bumps that usually cause the noise. Of course, with the nut loose, the noise was really loud. My idea was to let the shock find a place in the strut mount and then tighten it. After I tightened the nut, all noise was gone, but it's too early to tell if the "repair" will last.

This is a really easy thing to do. You need a 17mm wrench and either a 10mm open wrench or a small crescent wrench. When you turn the lock nut with the 17mm wrench, hold the shock rod in one place with the 10mm wrench so that the rubber bushing in the upper strut mount doesn't get twisted. Don't do it with the wheel off the ground, you want the shock to find its proper spot in the shock mount.

As Lexoos said in a previous post, maybe these mounts were defective from the factory, but they do not look obviously broken.

I just hope that fixed the rattle.

VT
Old 02-28-06, 08:16 PM
amul
Rookie

I was thinking of a brilliant idea....

Can we have a "strut / mount replacement" day ? Kinda like a "tupper ware party" my wife always reminds me of when I go to my s2000 meets.

I think Chi-townGS has got it down, and maybe he may be willing to offer his expertise on doing this job right.

I have the basic tools, but nothing close to what's needed to compress springs.

Maybe someone here can reccomend a shop we can work with and get a group discount on labor if we get it done at the same time.......oh ,,,,,I thought this was a Chicago post....sorry for alienating pianovt and the other guys.