Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What Kind of lowering springs to get

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-06, 07:14 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SC3005SPD1
How low is the drop.... Any camber issues..... Is the ride bouncy..... supra or sc suspension.... and cost
I think it's around 2". had to roll my rear fenders. camber is not too bad. my car is not daily driven. ride is firm but not bouncy. espelir's were $240 and tokico's were $260 I think. Me and a friend did install no cost. I'll be selling this setup pretty soon.
Old 01-13-06, 09:02 PM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what does it mean to roll fenders?
Old 01-14-06, 06:58 AM
Kaukau
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, SC3005SPD1, I take vipsoarer's advice. He is well knowledged.
Anyway, my personal opinion to have a lower springs on our car, aftermarket shocks handle better than OEM shocks for sure. Thats how it designed, I guess. Lower springs sit better on those aftermarket shocks, this is my understanding. Yet, I am not so sure about that...

If you simply want to lower your car, you can change the OEM to a lower springs, Eibach, Tein, Espelier, Tanabe...so forth and keep your OEM shocks with you. I heard that Eibach is the right springs fit sc's in terms of dropping the height properly. 1' drop. If it drops more than 1', I guess we need to have an adjustment on alignment or camber kit. Ohterwise you may see a wear on inside of wall of tires. Hope I am not saying wrong. My setting Supra NA shocks + EIbach gives me a close 2" down on front, 1.3" down. Rear is ok just need a slight adjustment, but the front set up...its just way too low, cant over a big bump like in a mall...I need a camber kit...Please correct me if I am wrong, because I am learning it too. Thank you.

I had Espelier springs before on other car before, it worked great for me. Esp/OEM shocks combo. I did not have much tires rub the tire house issue.
I wait what other people says about this. Thank you

Last edited by Kaukau; 01-14-06 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-14-06, 10:04 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the reason why aftermarket performance shocks are better for a car that has been lowered is that there usually is either one or both things present:

1. more shock travel. because your car is lowered lets say 1" the vehicle can now only compress the shocks the full travel minus 1 inch. with that inch out and you hit a bump you are more prone to bottoming out the shock which can damage them much faster that with a stock spring.

2. better valving/proper valving for a higher spring rate. higher spring rates work the shocks much harder and can blow the seals of a shock body which leads to the fact that aftermarket shocks also usually have a better fatique rate for all the parts in the shocks. be it the springs, seals, any fluid or gas used to dampen.

When you see a car that is lowered and bouncing for what looks like minutes after going over a bump it is usually due to one of the two things above wearing out the shock to the point of it being "broken" by industry standards.

my suggestion is to stay away from stock shocks unless or stock replacement shocks unless you are keeping stock springs or are using a mildly dropped vehicle (around 1" drop) with a low spring rate. remember its the springs job to push back the comrpressed suspension and to hold the vehicle up in the air while the shock is the real tool that will aid in braking performance, launching performance, spring dampening and lastly will be the only part that can really make a vehicle safe with lowered springs/higher than stock spring rate. just remember those old meineke commercials talking about how with improper shocks or damage shocks you can gain up to 20% stopping distance...... safety first fellas
Old 01-14-06, 06:31 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SC3005SPD1
ok... im learning a little now. So stay way from stock struts because of the roads. Now with this camber issue, if i stay above 1" i wont have to deal with negative camber right? How much is a camber kit go for anyway?
But is 1" even that noticable of a drop? I was thinking 1.5" or so with a supra suspension so 1.5 +.5? or am i trying to go too low (this is my daily driver btw)

Ok so stay away from these sets of shocks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKIC...spagenameZWDVW
and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-G...spagenameZWDVW
The stock SC camber/caster can be adjusted for more than 1" for sure. I've lowered the front near 2" and 1.5" rear with no problem on alignment. However, that's the max adjustment since the camber/caster washers are stopped at the notches. These notches allow the washers to turn around for alignment adjustment. You can see this notch if you look near the lower control arm bushings on the cross-member.

For springs & shocks combo, get any springs with adjustable shocks if you can afford them. Most SC springs don't drop too much so any performance shocks should be ok. However, if the springs have the same lowering height front and rear, your car's rear will look lower than the front. Also, keep in mind that many SCs have the problem of lopsided issue. The driver side is usually 0.5" lower than the passenger side. That's why I switched to the coilover to fix this problem.
Old 01-25-06, 08:56 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ~SC~
How about the Bilstein's + TT stock springs? I think TT stock springs lower about .5 inches, and the Bilstein's lower almost an inch. Therefore, together it'll be a little over an inch of a drop. That should cover up the gap between the fender and tire while running on 19 inch rims. Correct me if I'm wrong though. I'm still trying to find out whether Bilstein made their shocks so that you can lower the ride slightly while using stock springs, or if they made their shocks so that you can lift the ride slightly with lowering springs. Which is which?
Well, I don' think the .5" lowered Bilstein with .5" lowered springs will give 1" lowered. When the shocks are compressed under loads, they are all much lowered than their normal heights. The lowered height shocks are to increase more shock travel in case you use really short springs. The springs are the components that make your car lowered or higher.