Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

General Suspension Questions (please read!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-06, 06:52 PM
Fourcaratz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question General Suspension Questions (please read!)

Hey guys, I just want to know the list of things that can affect the GS handling, as far as front suspension. I'm referring to a stock setup (not dropped, OEM rims 16,17''). The reason why I ask is because I told a mechanic that I know that I believe my ball joints and castor arm bushings need to be changed, as well as shocks. I described the feeling I had (that floaty ride, too much front end dip on turns, clunk noise up front), and asked what esle could make it feel crappy. He said it could be bad bearings (?). Now I've read alot of threads relating to suspension, and no one has mentioned any "bearings". Most of the talk is focused on bushings/ball joints/shocks/tie rods. I told him that I'm gonna change all those regardless, as a precautionary measure. My car has 85k on it (1998), so I think it'll be justifiable to do these fixes "just cuz". He pretty much said that I'd be silly to just change those out, when it could just be these famous "bearings". So what I ask from my fellow knowledgeable GS owners is let me know if there is more to the front end feeling terrible than just the parts I've mentioned. Keep in mind my symptoms. He wants to do the work for me, and he's never touched my car. I just didnt like the fact that he couldn't understand my theory on this subject. I mean when it's all said and done, it's MY money thats being spent,. I can understand him saying this as a "I'm just trying to save you some cash" comment, but I feel he should still relate in some way...maybe I'm wrong...
Old 01-26-06, 06:27 PM
WillieGS3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front suspension top hat is usually wore out quicker depends on your driving habits and road condition where you live. Since you planning for bilstein shocks? Change your top hat with new
sets.
Old 01-29-06, 11:18 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bad bearings will usually make a constant or cyclic howling or grinding noise.

Not too common for Lexus wheel bearings to go out before 200K or so.