Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

PS pump replaced still no power

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-06, 11:45 AM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default PS pump replaced still no power

I recently replaced my old power steering pump with a reman after more than a year without power steering and the power steering still doesn't work. I'm thinking I have to replace my rack. What causes a steering rack to stop working? Anyone else had this problem?
Old 01-20-06, 11:35 AM
TexasSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I may have the same problem. My steering is a bit tight...like I have little power steering. I notice it the most after I've driven about 20 miles at high speeds...say over 65mph, then when I take an exit, I have to turn the wheel really hard to make it. Then sometime when this happens, all of the sudden the steering will break loose and be fine...well better than getting a forearm workout. It goes back to the one step better than no power steering level.

I had my SC400 in a shop that specialized in Lexus for this. They said there was a filtering screen of some sort. I can't remember where it was located on the car, but its didn't take them any time to clean it out. It didn't solve my problem. Maybe it would solve yours.

I've recently purchased Front End Lower Control Arm Bushing from Andrew Vlamos in Austrailia and getting ready to install them this next week. I also bought rack bushings that he suggested. I'll let you know if this solves my power steering problem.
Old 01-21-06, 06:58 AM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Default A Solution???

I want to share my experience with the power steering to see if it Might apply to your situation.
We all know about the High Pressure P/S hose. Well, there seems to be another small hose in the same area going either into or out of the P/S pump. It is a short hose but cost $20.00 to buy at Lexus. My mechanic replaced it because it was leaking. When I first got this car (1992 SC400), it had what I thought was power assist in the steering. After Shannon replaced this other hose, I now have true power steering. When I got the car back after this change, I had to re-learn how to steer it. The P/S is Very sensitive now.
Is this your problem?? I do not know and I am sorry that I do not have more precise info, but since you are working in that area, I suggest that you replace that other hose also.
Old 01-21-06, 01:03 PM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure its not a filter screen or the bushings. I had all my front control arm and rack bushings replaced the other week and that fixed the loose steering I had but I still have a slight play in my steering wheel. As far as the power steering hoses go I don't know how similar the setup is on a SC4 compared to a SC3 but I'll probably look into that. Anyone else have any experiences of no power steering with a perfectly good pump?
Old 01-28-06, 09:05 PM
balticbsc3
Rookie

Default What hose is it?

CompuMan what hose was this that you are talking about? I just replaced my pump and hoses, but the power steering is still not as sensitive as my friends ls400. Could this hose help?
Old 01-30-06, 06:25 PM
blknfury
Driver

not to take over your thread, but i have this sqweeking noise coming from my power sterring. i think it may be a leak in the power sterring pump or either the pulley is worn out?
Old 11-21-07, 06:25 PM
tehc0w
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blknfury
not to take over your thread, but i have this sqweeking noise coming from my power sterring. i think it may be a leak in the power sterring pump or either the pulley is worn out?
I had the same problem as well but figured out it was the p/s fluid getting on the belt/pulley. If you wanna check you could jack the car up and dry off the belt and zip tie a cloth to the low and high pressure hoses. let it run for about 5min and see if the squeeking sound comes back.

Hopefully that helps