Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Eibach Pro-Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-06, 05:11 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
I’d like to see some good tests on the springs like stop distance, slalom and later G differences. Its kind of funny, I never see these kinds of tests on stock Vs aftermarket springs. I put these on my old TL Type S and it made the ride more “bouncy” but it did help performance.

The ride was more bouncy because you increased your spring rate while the rate of dampening (that's what the shock is there for... to quell the oscillation of the spring) stayed the same.

So the shock was being badly overworked. Typically, people that put lowering springs on stock shocks end up with blown shocks much sooner than they otherwise would have for this reason.

In general, lowering springs sold on their own are purely for cosmetics. While they might decrease things like body roll and slalom speeds (lower center of gravity), it's ultimately a poor excuse for a good set of matched shocks and springs (no, that doesn't mean coilovers, which are complete overkill for 99.99% of the population who's cars will never see a racetrack).

The reality is that good suspension work costs money. A set of springs is the cheap way to drop the car, but it's typically done at the expense of ride control and comfort.

(Please resume the thread discussion now... I've said my piece, and I know no one really cares, because they just want to lower the car ).
Old 01-26-06, 05:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by heffergm
The ride was more bouncy because you increased your spring rate while the rate of dampening (that's what the shock is there for... to quell the oscillation of the spring) stayed the same.

So the shock was being badly overworked. Typically, people that put lowering springs on stock shocks end up with blown shocks much sooner than they otherwise would have for this reason.

In general, lowering springs sold on their own are purely for cosmetics. While they might decrease things like body roll and slalom speeds (lower center of gravity), it's ultimately a poor excuse for a good set of matched shocks and springs (no, that doesn't mean coilovers, which are complete overkill for 99.99% of the population who's cars will never see a racetrack).

The reality is that good suspension work costs money. A set of springs is the cheap way to drop the car, but it's typically done at the expense of ride control and comfort.

(Please resume the thread discussion now... I've said my piece, and I know no one really cares, because they just want to lower the car ).
some very good insight on springs/shocks there
Old 01-26-06, 05:29 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

I agree 100% with you Heffergm

I have H&R Sport springs and Bilstein shocks on my 01 Audi S4. I dont understand people that just buy springs and dont get the shocks to match.

I will tell you this though, im not dropping my IS350 when it comes in. Driving around in a lowered car is a pita. you scrape on all the speed bumps, getting into parking garages sucks, you have to be very careful pulling into parking spaces, getting in and out of spots that have severe inclines/declines is aweful, and god forbid you have to have your car towed.... just make sure you have a valium with you (and dont watch)

anyways
Old 01-26-06, 07:02 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NotFatBoy
I agree 100% with you Heffergm

I have H&R Sport springs and Bilstein shocks on my 01 Audi S4. I dont understand people that just buy springs and dont get the shocks to match.

I will tell you this though, im not dropping my IS350 when it comes in. Driving around in a lowered car is a pita. you scrape on all the speed bumps, getting into parking garages sucks, you have to be very careful pulling into parking spaces, getting in and out of spots that have severe inclines/declines is aweful, and god forbid you have to have your car towed.... just make sure you have a valium with you (and dont watch)

anyways
I had Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks and struts on my Camaro. Handled great.
Old 01-26-06, 07:17 PM
aznevoviii
Pole Position

I know this is stupid, but here are some info about Tein, for you JDM freaks including meee!!!
http://www.tein.com/ti/l90.html
superstreet coilover kit.

Also, H-tech and S-tech is in-development, and they will be out in anytime now..
Old 01-26-06, 07:22 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by heffergm

I totally agree with you heffergm!!! You couldn't have said it any better. Believe it or not though, I'm one of those that if I purchase the 20s (which I eventually will, if I ever get the car ), I will definitely lower it, because if you don't do it, the car looks like a freakin' SUV... HORRIBLE!!! I have heard good things about the Tein suspension, and the Eibach suspension is pretty good too....as long as one gets the appropriate shocks!!
Old 01-26-06, 07:24 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aznevoviii
I know this is stupid, but here are some info about Tein, for you JDM freaks including meee!!!
http://www.tein.com/ti/l90.html
superstreet coilover kit.

Also, H-tech and S-tech is in-development, and they will be out in anytime now..
Are the Tein coilovers out already??? I e-mailed them about a month ago and they said that they were still testing them....
Old 01-26-06, 07:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Hey guys we're talking about the Eibach springs. not Tein or other suspension setups. This is Pinoychris' thread, stop the threadjacking. Talk about the other stuff in a new thread!
Old 01-26-06, 07:42 PM
sbasinger
Rookie

I was under the impression the kit was already out, atleast according to this site...

Pro-Kit:
http://www.hopupracing.com/ei1drfrand1d35.html

Sportline:
http://www.hopupracing.com/ei1drfrand1d36.html
Old 01-26-06, 08:21 PM
tim817
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sbasinger
I was under the impression the kit was already out, atleast according to this site...

Pro-Kit:

Sportline:
I called them last week and they told me the springs won't be available til Feb. I don't know why people would put it for sale and they don't even have them in stock and don't even know the exact date when they will be availble
Old 01-26-06, 08:23 PM
pinoychris
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sbasinger

Pro-Kit:

Sportline:
It hasn't been out as I am the test fitter for eibach for the IS350. They aren't even most likely going to make a sportline kit which is coming from the mouth of their R&D guy.
Old 01-26-06, 08:30 PM
tim817
Intermediate

I think if you only lower the car just 1 inch, you don't really have to change the shock. I understand if you drop the car a lot like more than 2 inches you really have to change the shock. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-26-06, 09:04 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Originally Posted by tim817
I think if you only lower the car just 1 inch, you don't really have to change the shock. I understand if you drop the car a lot like more than 2 inches you really have to change the shock. Just my 2 cents.

ya, I think there guys are over exaggerating it. I said my Tl was a bit more bouncy but its performance was better. I ran with those springs for 35K miles with no problems or degradation. I’ve heard a lot of people talk like this over the years, it seems like its backed by the strut manufacturers over real fact. Sure it wears them faster but on a decently built car… not much.
Old 01-27-06, 04:54 AM
dnszoom
Pole Position

Nice post, thanks for hold out, hehe.

Does anyone think that the Eibach anti-roll kit (when mated to the stock Lexus sport suspension) will have any appreciable handling gains?

I'm not looking to 'style' with lowered swrings and not looking to autocross or track it but would like just a bit more...

http://www.hopupracing.com/eiankitfrrea27.html
Old 01-27-06, 04:59 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dnszoom
Nice post, thanks for hold out, hehe.

Does anyone think that the Eibach anti-roll kit (when mated to the stock Lexus sport suspension) will have any appreciable handling gains?

I'm not looking to 'style' with lowered swrings and not looking to autocross or track it but would like just a bit more...

http://www.hopupracing.com/eiankitfrrea27.html

Upgrading to adjustable sway bars allow you to tune for understeer/oversteer. A bigger rear bar/smaller front bar will increase oversteer relative to the opposite combination, which would lend itself to understeer.

Sway bars can be used to tune some body roll out of the car, but it's done at the expense of suspension independence. A swaybar links the right and left suspension together... this is good up to a point, but a gigantic swaybar that takes all independence out of the rear suspension is like slapping on a solid rear axle... Mustang anyone?

So basically, from the desciption on the Eibach site, I can't really tell if their bars are adjustable or not (it sounds like they are, but they don't explicitly say so). If they aren't, I wouldn't bother. If they are, you should be able to dial in some more oversteer. I haven't had occasion to push the car yet, but I would suspect like just about every factory car, it tends towards too much understeer at the limit.

Quick Reply: Eibach Pro-Kit