Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Eibach Pro-Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-06, 05:03 AM
dnszoom
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heffergm
Upgrading to adjustable sway bars allow you to tune for understeer/oversteer. A bigger rear bar/smaller front bar will increase oversteer relative to the opposite combination, which would lend itself to understeer.

Sway bars can be used to tune some body roll out of the car, but it's done at the expense of suspension independence. A swaybar links the right and left suspension together... this is good up to a point, but a gigantic swaybar that takes all independence out of the rear suspension is like slapping on a solid rear axle... Mustang anyone?

So basically, from the desciption on the Eibach site, I can't really tell if their bars are adjustable or not (it sounds like they are, but they don't explicitly say so). If they aren't, I wouldn't bother. If they are, you should be able to dial in some more oversteer. I haven't had occasion to push the car yet, but I would suspect like just about every factory car, it tends towards too much understeer at the limit.
Succinct and informative, thank you.
Old 01-27-06, 06:54 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NotFatBoy
I agree 100% with you Heffergm

I have H&R Sport springs and Bilstein shocks on my 01 Audi S4. I dont understand people that just buy springs and dont get the shocks to match.

I will tell you this though, im not dropping my IS350 when it comes in. Driving around in a lowered car is a pita. you scrape on all the speed bumps, getting into parking garages sucks, you have to be very careful pulling into parking spaces, getting in and out of spots that have severe inclines/declines is aweful, and god forbid you have to have your car towed.... just make sure you have a valium with you (and dont watch)

anyways
Same here, and I have a base 350. In my 3000GT, I hated that I would have to worry about speed bumps and curves. I couldnt even make it up the driveway at my moms house. The 3000 is lowered 1.5 inches with KYBs.

Even worse, with the drop... a lot of people would say "Man you need to lower the car"

In the IS, I think I would rather get fatter sidewall tires in the front rather than lower the car(IE I want 23-24" Diamete tires, currently the tire diameter is 22f/25r).

About the IS. I have noticed that the car has an unbelievable smooth suspension. I dont know if upgrading the shocks is a good idea. With 225/40/18 fronts, the car can hit small potholes without much impact on the driver.

In my 3000(245/40/18), if I drive on one of those Roads made of rocks(you see them in the country), I feel like my teeth are going to shatter.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 01-27-06 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-27-06, 08:22 AM
lexus27
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tim817
I think if you only lower the car just 1 inch, you don't really have to change the shock. I understand if you drop the car a lot like more than 2 inches you really have to change the shock. Just my 2 cents.
tim817, I agree with you. I just want an inch drop. My friend has a 2003 IS300 with 1 inch drop and no other mods whatsoever and he drives the car alot. He said he has not had any problems with the suspension with the 1 inch drop. So I might just do the same thing.

Does anybody have any horror stories with dropping their cars 1 inch with stock shocks?
Old 01-27-06, 09:31 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexus27
tim817, I agree with you. I just want an inch drop. My friend has a 2003 IS300 with 1 inch drop and no other mods whatsoever and he drives the car alot. He said he has not had any problems with the suspension with the 1 inch drop. So I might just do the same thing.

Does anybody have any horror stories with dropping their cars 1 inch with stock shocks?
No. I'm answering for the entire population because there's no way anyone here has put anywhere near enough miles on their car to notice any issues with aftermarket spring/stock shock combos. When people start hitting 50k miles, the stories will start rolling in... mark my words.
Old 01-27-06, 10:23 AM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus27

I dropped my CL just over an inch with H&R springs and stock shocks at 35k miles. Put an additional 25k hard miles on the car in one year and had no problems.
Old 01-27-06, 10:52 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think it really depends on the springs and how much you lowered the car. if you lower your car more your shock needs to work more. if you lower just a bit i think it will be fine.

what will happen to people without sport package and get the sportpackage sping on their car?? will that work?? it's just a spring right??

i rather have coilover than spring from my experiences cuz you can do a lot more rather than just lower. i can adjust the damper, lower, and raise up the car when ever i want it to.
Old 01-27-06, 10:57 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

If you buy a 1990 Honda Civic and *cut* the springs to drop the car 2 inch's... you should seriously consider struts... heck... you should have your license revoked.

Its funny watching cars like this run around with their rear end bouncing up and down a good foot at any change in acceleration.
Old 01-27-06, 09:09 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

is it me or the IS on the tein website looks better with the drop than the eibach? is it because the tires?
Old 01-28-06, 01:20 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by heffergm
No. I'm answering for the entire population because there's no way anyone here has put anywhere near enough miles on their car to notice any issues with aftermarket spring/stock shock combos. When people start hitting 50k miles, the stories will start rolling in... mark my words.
I've had Tein coilovers on my car for about 50k miles now (my car is a 04 IS300 w/just under 80k miles currently). I don't have the issues you're talking about. It's obvious you can't speak for my experience.

Again we're straying off topic here. We're talking about Eibachs. Everything else needs to go to a new thread if you want to talk about what you think is wrong or right about suspension setups.
Old 01-28-06, 03:37 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
I've had Tein coilovers on my car for about 50k miles now (my car is a 04 IS300 w/just under 80k miles currently). I don't have the issues you're talking about. It's obvious you can't speak for my experience.

Again we're straying off topic here. We're talking about Eibachs. Everything else needs to go to a new thread if you want to talk about what you think is wrong or right about suspension setups.
Hello!?! Read what I wrote again. I didn't say anything about coilovers. I'm talking about people putting lowering springs on stock shocks. Coilovers are an adjustable, matched spring/shock combo.
Old 01-28-06, 02:14 PM
johnnyboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
is it me or the IS on the tein website looks better with the drop than the eibach? is it because the tires?
they look kidn of the same to me, but enough with how it looks.. they need to release these suckers