Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

can pirelli tires cause vibration when braking?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-06, 05:48 PM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have Pirellis P6. I can't say that tires make any tapping, but they are definetily noisy and don't have a good grip with the road. My car floats on them much more than it did on stock. So, I'm waiting when they finally get worn out, so I could get Michellins or BFGoodrich.
Old 02-01-06, 05:51 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Gsoup, AZDesertGS and GSquicksilver are on the money on this one. Cupping is a sure indication of bad shocks. Believe me, I've been doing a TON of research on this over the last month or so. The old bounce test really doesn't work anymore on today's cars. Also, just because a shock isn't leaking doesn't mean it's not bad. At 80k, you're probably due for new shocks. I don't mean to generalize because I am sure there are 80k mile cars out there that don't need new shocks, but shocks are a wear item like tires, brakes, etc. Unfortunately, you won't know for sure whether they're bad until you get them off the car, but given the symptoms you're describing, I'd bet at least 2 are shot.

Hey, GSquicksilver. Could you please shoot me a PM about your experience with the new shocks? I'd say you could post it here, but I don't want to hijack the thread (although I think everyone would benefit from the information). Thanks.

e
Old 02-01-06, 05:55 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a broken wheel bearing does not sound like road noise...it sounds like metal on metal... really loud especially when you turn. it does not sound nice...

The pirelli p6 are very noisy tires... I have them on my LS and the car is noisy... can hear road noise.. it does not provide a lexus like ride either...I'm starting to have a vibration probably because it is cupped so bad that it is now unbalanced. you can research this about these tires on tirerack.com... and this is the main concern with the p6's.
Old 02-01-06, 06:48 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just get Falkens
Old 02-02-06, 07:22 AM
wrw1818
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSquicksilver
i had cupping before and it ruined my michelin pilot sport s/p's.

it WAS caused by bad shocks. no leaks, nothing. took the shocks out, i can press them down with my thumb. installed new shocks, no more cupping, and i have PIRELLI tires too, pzero nero M+S models and they are great. they are even quieter than the michelin's.
you're KIDDING (on the shocks)... since i love the look of these pirelli p6's, it's good to know they COULD work on the car. but at this point i'll probably play it safe and select a similar look in a michellin...

Originally Posted by babyGS3
a broken wheel bearing does not sound like road noise...it sounds like metal on metal... really loud especially when you turn. it does not sound nice...

The pirelli p6 are very noisy tires... I have them on my LS and the car is noisy...
Yeah, I was thinking this bur-bur-bur rumble when braking is NOT symptomatic of bad wheel bearings... and a QUIETER ride? wow, i'll be in heaven for sure...

Last edited by wrw1818; 02-02-06 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-02-06, 08:37 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm dead serious about the shocks. no leaks. passed bounce test. our stock springs aren't as soft as everyone thinks. when i pressed the shocks down, they were so easily pressed by one finger and they actually made squeek noises too.
Old 02-02-06, 01:37 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSquicksilver
i'm dead serious about the shocks. no leaks. passed bounce test. our stock springs aren't as soft as everyone thinks. when i pressed the shocks down, they were so easily pressed by one finger and they actually made squeek noises too.
Your right about the bounce test not working that great. The springs could be nice and tight but the shocks could be shot.
Old 02-02-06, 01:48 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I still think its the shock as mentioned earlier ... if your on a budget go with the KYB GR2 series ...very good shocks... the l-tuned shocks were KYB's rebadged for those that don't know... you can get all 4 for about $400 bucks..www.sparkplugs.com

they're gas shocks by the way...

front 2x $92.49
rear 2x $103.40
Old 02-04-06, 07:32 PM
KRGS4
Driver

If you travel at 65-85 MPH...vibration = tire issues (out of round,cupping, high psi)

If you travel 65-85..start braking...vibration = front brake issues (warped rotors etc)

If you travel 10-35 MPH...start braking....vibration = rear brake issues

Bad wheel bearing sounds like...when you go over a metal bridge..noise "drone-like"

hope this helps.
Old 02-04-06, 08:23 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KRGS4
If you travel at 65-85 MPH...vibration = tire issues (out of round,cupping, high psi)

If you travel 65-85..start braking...vibration = front brake issues (warped rotors etc)

Bad wheel bearing sounds like...when you go over a metal bridge..noise "drone-like"

hope this helps.

I would add to this that vibration through the steering wheel is usually front rotors....
vibration through the car is usually the rear rotors
Old 05-02-06, 02:34 PM
wrw1818
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KRGS4

hope this helps.
Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
I would add to this that vibration through the steering wheel is usually front rotors....
vibration through the car is usually the rear rotors
wow, you folks have awesome virtual troubleshooting skills!

The Final Answer:
shocks => supposedly fine
wheel bearings => no reason to suspect problem
(cupped) tires => not likely they were causing the "brr brrh braking vibration" noise.
rotors => all 4 worn. rear rusted.

The sequence of events (and $$$$) over 2 week period:
  • 1) Lexus did a scheduled svc and said shocks were fine. they again note the cupped Pirellis.
  • 2) I get tires (michelin pilot exaltos, std 215/60/16) and alignment - thinking the problem would go away - NOT!
  • 3) after going BACK to Lexus, they identify rotors: Front rotors were below spec {they'd JUST been turned - by mechanic who'd diagnosed wheel bearings as issue - which never made sense}. Rear rotors couldn't be turned at all. Lexus didn't recommend brake pads b/c pads were so new.

So, with 4 new rotors, there's no more "brrr brrh" braking noise/vibration.

SAD FACT: lexus dealership had stated brakes/rotors were fine in prepurchase inspection last summer, then again during the major svc this April 2006. Their "out" was in having no specific prepurchase checklist last summer/fall. The Svc Mgr blew off my iterative visits (4 in total) on this issue as a svc technician oversight, and stated i would've ended up buying rotors anyway. - an unaccountable response...

Last edited by wrw1818; 05-02-06 at 03:22 PM.