Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need help .... suspension moron

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-06 | 02:42 PM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Default Need help .... suspension moron

I have a 99 GS400 (65K miles) with a completely stock setup except for 17" wheels. When I purchased the car a mechanic examined the suspension and said everything was "good". I plan to keep the car for many years and want to make improvements that will last. Under the assumption that the suspension will need replacing before too many more miles I read the stickys and it sounds like the Tein CS is what I want. I am more interested in a great ride with whatever handling improvement that comes along with it. I am not interested in lowering the car and I see no reason for the EDFC control. Would I need any other modifications? Could I accomplish the same results with new shocks or something besides coilovers? I do not want to make any modifications that would compromise the integrity or longevity of other suspension parts, etc.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 02-03-06 | 02:52 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Well, to me it seems like staying with factory parts is best for you.

You dont want to lower and you want factory ride. Then there is really no point in spending all that money on a coilover setup unless you want adjustablity.

Just keep your eye on your suspension parts and just replace your shocks when needed to.

Maybe use the money and get the Daizen Control Arm Bushings insead.
Old 02-03-06 | 04:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

maybe you can just stick with stock springs and stiffer shocks and see if that helps.

with the tein cs you can still keep the stock ride height no problem, and performance will be greatly improved, of course.

and if you want you can also get sway bars. i have the daizen. it doesn't really degrade the ride, but it helps handling tremendously too

daizen bushings will help too of course, but i would only change them when yours are worn out
Old 02-03-06 | 04:54 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Default my suggestion

Since you are not interested in lowering and want to keep your ride quality :

Stock springs
Bistein HD shock absorbers(2nd choice--KYB GR-2 )
Daizen sway bars
Old 02-05-06 | 05:38 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

I'm in the same boat as you (99 GS4 with 77k miles), but when I do replace the struts, I'll be sticking with the stock setup. Please keep us posted on what you decide to do.

e

Last edited by e-man; 02-05-06 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-06-06 | 06:30 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

I really appreciate the input on this subject. Can someone tell me how to determine when I might need to replace either the shocks or the bushings? What would it feel like? From what I am reading in your responses I might should try the Daizen setup with bushings and maybe sway bars and see if that satisfies me before I replace the shock absorbers or try coilovers?

Also, what would the approximate cost be for parts and labor for the following items?

Blistein HD shock absorbers
Daizen control arm bushings
Daizen sway bars

I really don't care anything about lowering the car but if I can improve handling (I don't drive it real hard but would like to reduce any "roll" as long as I don't have to sacrifice very much "ride quality") without spending too much extra then I am all for it. I primarily need help determing at what point I should consider replacing parts and what would best accomplish my goals?

Last edited by OutlawTita; 02-06-06 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-06-06 | 11:43 AM
pavster
Driver

If all you want to do is reduce roll, all you need are the sway bars. They will run you $500.

You need control arm bushings if you cannot keep your car going straight because it keeps wondering off. They are $100, but installation is $1000+.

Shocks -- you may or may not need them. Personal preference only. The sway bars will give you more improvement than shocks, in my opinion, and the shocks will definitely make the ride less smooth. The Bilsteins will run you around $500 I believe. To know whether you actually NEED them, look for leaks on your stock shocks; also perform a test at each corner of your car -- push it down and release -- the car should bounce up, then settle back in the middle. If the car keeps bouncing, you need new shocks.

-pavel.