Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Painted Brake Calipers ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-06, 09:39 PM
DRIVEN1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted Brake Calipers ?

I have a Yungsten Silver IS350 with the Sport package and I will be installing new rims in the next few weeks. On my GMC Denali Yukon XL, I installed 22" rims and had the factory brake calipers painted Ferrari red and it looks great. How do you think this would look on my Silver IS350, especially since the front factory caliper is so big? I am leaning towards doind it, but I wanted some input.

Thank you!
Old 02-08-06, 09:43 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-08-06, 09:50 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Seems to be more of the style of those on my.is...

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=281708
Old 02-08-06, 10:09 PM
DRIVEN1
Driver

Smile

TimboIS - Thank you for the thread. I did a search before I posted and came up with no hits. Sorry for the duplicate. Your thread was perfect since it had the pictures and great input. I am going to do this with G2 paint and get Flatline Graphix.
Old 02-09-06, 05:42 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Painted calipers look RICEed-out to me...........But it's your car.

What's really funny is when I see the "powered by ******* racing " type cars running around with the drum brakes painted fire engine red.......now that's pure comedy!
Old 02-09-06, 05:44 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by unit74
Painted calipers look RICEed-out to me...........But it's your car.

What's really funny is when I see the "powered by ******* racing " type cars running around with the drum brakes painted fire engine red.......now that's pure comedy!
I'm sorry, but this is a ridiculous argument. I'd agree that BADLY painted brake calipers look "ricey", but come on... Porsche, Ferrari, some Merc's and Jag's, the list goes on... they've all got painted calipers, and I think the last word you'd use to describe them would be riced-out.
Old 02-09-06, 06:08 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Yea....That's what I meant.....

I can see the high end cars painted and such. But when a car is not sporting the goods and you try and make it look expensive, that's what's retarded. The pic of the black on white pots looks OK. it brings out the logo in them. But red, orange, purple blue......c'mon.......that's moronic.
Old 02-09-06, 06:15 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by unit74
Yea....That's what I meant.....

I can see the high end cars painted and such. But when a car is not sporting the goods and you try and make it look expensive, that's what's retarded. The pic of the black on white pots looks OK. it brings out the logo in them. But red, orange, purple blue......c'mon.......that's moronic.
I don't necessarily disagree, but what goods is the IS350 missing? It runs to 60 in well under 6 seconds, which is certainly in line with other high end cars that would have painted calipers. Is there a Painted Caliper God, who determines exactly what "goods" are required to have them?

Hell, plenty cheaper sporty cars are coming with painted calipers these days. VW R32 I think had them, the new VW GTi may, etc. I mean it's just paint.... I don't really think there's a price/performance restriction limiting its use.
Old 02-09-06, 07:06 AM
QikSilvr
Driver

Individual choice.

Two points:
a. If you use the wrong paint, it can cause heat buildup in the caliper.
b. This will be just one more point the dealer could deny if you did have a problem.
Old 02-09-06, 07:26 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"G2" paint is highly recommended with good results.
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/g2/caliper_paint.jsp
Old 02-09-06, 07:34 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it necessary to remove the caliper from the rotor to paint it or can you just leave it on while painting?
Old 02-09-06, 07:39 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SGT
Is it necessary to remove the caliper from the rotor to paint it or can you just leave it on while painting?
You could do it with the caliper on and mask everything off, but it's not going to turn out good. Mainly because good paint work requires meticulous surface prep. You can't do that with the caliper still on the car.
Old 02-09-06, 07:52 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by heffergm
You could do it with the caliper on and mask everything off, but it's not going to turn out good. Mainly because good paint work requires meticulous surface prep. You can't do that with the caliper still on the car.
Thanks, I guess I'd have to take my car into the shop for that as it sounds a bit complicated to remove.
Old 02-09-06, 07:54 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

the IS's calipers don't have logos on them to stand out like those on Porsches and Ferrari's.
Old 02-09-06, 07:56 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SGT
Thanks, I guess I'd have to take my car into the shop for that as it sounds a bit complicated to remove.
Actually, it's pretty simple provided you have the right tools and you know what you're doing. Since it sounds like you don't though, please don't attempt it... you'll have the bleed the brakes when you're done, and again, if you don't know what you're doing it's easy enough to make the car dangerous to drive.

Quick Reply: Painted Brake Calipers ?