Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

painted brake calipers and decaled

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-06, 07:13 PM
daltexlex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default painted brake calipers and decaled

decals peeled off immediately after the first time the car was washed. how do you prevent the brake caliper decals from peeling off?
Old 02-09-06, 07:18 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm interesting, i'm not too sure, but i just got mine done recently as well... did you put a few coats of clear over the decals?
Old 02-09-06, 07:20 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,255 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Put a few coats of high temp clear spray over the decals once they're on. You can find it at your auto parts store with the engine paints
Old 02-09-06, 07:44 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

or how about a white basecoat.
Then stick the sticker on. spray over it with whatever color you want your calipers to be.
Then peel off the sticker to reveal the basecoat.
It'll be on there permanently
Old 02-09-06, 07:46 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i never cleared over mine i just applied when the paint was still tacky an i never had any problems even when pressure washed
Old 02-09-06, 07:55 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikal
Then stick the sticker on. spray over it with whatever color you want your calipers to be.

Awesome idea.......
Old 02-09-06, 08:01 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Put a few coats of high temp clear spray over the decals once they're on. You can find it at your auto parts store with the engine paints
This is what I did too. 4 coats of black, decal, then 3 coats of clear.
Old 02-09-06, 08:33 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikal

That's a great idea
Old 02-09-06, 11:08 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

while we're on the topic..and since i dont feel like masking off the whole front of the car or taking the brakes apart....i was in advanced auto today and in the paint section they had a "duplicolor brake caliper painting kit" in like every different color..they give you a spray cleaner to get the crap off the calipers, wire brushes, some sand paper, a can of the color paint you want and a brush for it, and then some sort of sealer to finish it up..all for $15. the buy sounds awesome and it would definitely kill the issue of having to mask off the car since its brushed on..and obviously also make it unnecessary to remove anything other than the wheel to do this up... please let me know if anyones ever used this stuff because im about to give it a shot before i throw the new wheels on..i have a white gs and a set of the silver axis milano 20s, so i was thinking of painting the calipers a dark silver or gunmetal and use these lexus and L stickers i have in black on top of that.
Old 02-10-06, 04:58 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
This is what I did too. 4 coats of black, decal, then 3 coats of clear.
Did the same too with Dupli-Color hight temp clear.
Old 02-10-06, 05:41 AM
ginjuice
Driver

GREAT 411!!!!will do my calipers with decals soon!!!!!!THANXS CL
Old 02-10-06, 09:39 AM
tkracing
Lead Lap

I would clear coat over them.
Old 02-10-06, 10:19 AM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
while we're on the topic..and since i dont feel like masking off the whole front of the car or taking the brakes apart....i was in advanced auto today and in the paint section they had a "duplicolor brake caliper painting kit" in like every different color..they give you a spray cleaner to get the crap off the calipers, wire brushes, some sand paper, a can of the color paint you want and a brush for it, and then some sort of sealer to finish it up..all for $15. the buy sounds awesome and it would definitely kill the issue of having to mask off the car since its brushed on..and obviously also make it unnecessary to remove anything other than the wheel to do this up... please let me know if anyones ever used this stuff because im about to give it a shot before i throw the new wheels on..i have a white gs and a set of the silver axis milano 20s, so i was thinking of painting the calipers a dark silver or gunmetal and use these lexus and L stickers i have in black on top of that.

I used that on my Miata. Just take off two wheels at a time. You have to wait 10 minutes between coats, and it takes about 6 coats to start to smooth out and flow right. I just rolled back and forth between the front and back wheel until I was done. took a while, but looks great.
Old 02-10-06, 01:28 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chpsk8
I used that on my Miata. Just take off two wheels at a time. You have to wait 10 minutes between coats, and it takes about 6 coats to start to smooth out and flow right. I just rolled back and forth between the front and back wheel until I was done. took a while, but looks great.

awesome. i just picked up the kit in silver, and im going to use the black decals someone here gave me a while back...and i guess a can of the high temp clear for a few coats when everything else is all dry..im gonna hold off for a little while though, supposed to be getting a FOOT of snow this weekend, yeah right. i was hoping it was almost over with already
Old 02-10-06, 01:32 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
im gonna hold off for a little while though, supposed to be getting a FOOT of snow this weekend, yeah right. i was hoping it was almost over with already
Is the car outside? Otherwise, if it is in a garage, this is the perfect time since the car is down anyway.

Quick Reply: painted brake calipers and decaled