Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

squeaky brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-06, 12:35 AM
lxlplaylxl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeaky brakes!

I have about 3300 miles on my 250 and my brakes are squeaking!! I took her to the dealership and they say they couldnt duplicate the problem. I drove the car and the squeaking went away 2 days later the squeaking is back... wtf? is anyone else having this problem?
Old 02-16-06, 09:09 AM
x2mkx
Driver

nope i havent had any such problem..but i have noticed that everytime i wash my car my brake pads seem to rust. still i have to do is use the brakes a few times and the rust comes right off...no squeak though
Old 02-16-06, 09:15 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by x2mkx
nope i havent had any such problem..but i have noticed that everytime i wash my car my brake pads seem to rust. still i have to do is use the brakes a few times and the rust comes right off...no squeak though
The pads don't rust, the rotors do. They iron. It's normal.
Old 02-16-06, 11:26 AM
Aclarke
Driver

Originally Posted by lxlplaylxl
I have about 3300 miles on my 250 and my brakes are squeaking!! I took her to the dealership and they say they couldnt duplicate the problem. I drove the car and the squeaking went away 2 days later the squeaking is back... wtf? is anyone else having this problem?

I am facing the same issue with my 250 AWD... It seems to only occur when Im slowly coming to a stop... hit the brakes a bit harder and I dont hear anything. I was hoping that it would just go away on its own but so far no good...
Old 02-16-06, 12:59 PM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

Im also having this issue. I have about 500 miles on my car now, I will wait till about 1000. If it doesnt go away by itself I will bring it to the dealership to fix.
Old 02-16-06, 05:59 PM
GSE25
Lead Lap

My brakes squeak when they are cold and/or wet.
Old 02-20-06, 12:44 PM
cricket1
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the same issue. Brought it to the dealer and they couldn't replicate (even took me out in the car after they had it all day and I didn't hear any squeaking). Two days later, squeaking again. Like another poster, I hear the squeak only when braking slowly. Faster braking, no squeak. Has anyone with this issue gotten a fix?
Old 04-30-06, 11:21 PM
lcchris
Driver School Candidate

yeah exactly same problem. only occurs when i break slowly. has anyone found a solution to this problem?
Old 05-01-06, 08:16 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My post from another squeeky brake thread:

You might also try bedding them in. Go to an open stretch of road or highway when/where there is very little or no traffic. Take the car up to 60 (you can start at a faster speed but I'm not advocating any speeding ) and brake hard until you're down to about 10-20 mph. Immediately accelerate back up to 60 and repeat perhaps 8-10 times (less if you're doing it from a higher initial speed.) Try not to come to a complete stop during all of this and try to brake as hard as you can without invoking ABS.

If you're doing this during the day, repeat as many times until you notice the brakes starting to smoke in between the braking and accelerating. You should also stop if you feel your any brake fade occuring.

After your last run, drive around for another 10-15 minutes without using the brake to let them cool off evenly and keep the newly formed brake pad deposits in the rotor.

Disregard any of the above it if it would put you in the slightest bit of danger.
Old 05-01-06, 11:06 AM
teracon
Driver

The dealer replaced my front pads and resurfaced the rotors. It still squeaks, but not nearly as noticeable as before.
Old 05-01-06, 11:34 AM
Ichigo
Pole Position

I have the same problem at slower speeds. Figure Ill get it checked out when I go in for my 5K service. Ill try that bleeding the brakes thing too... hopefully it will help.
Old 05-01-06, 01:20 PM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Had a similar problem. There is a hi spot on the rotor, need to indentify which one. Have them turn the rotor and problem solved.
Old 05-01-06, 03:41 PM
kenne74
Rookie

I've tried the bedding in process on previous cars and it really never seemed to do anything for me except wear down my pads faster. But results my vary.
Old 05-01-06, 05:33 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have not had the problem with my IS but did have this problem recently immediately after brakes were replaced on my wife's Toyota Sienna. The brake squeal was so annoying, my wife was embarrassed to drive the van. I called the dealer--he said oh, brake squeal is very common on the Sienna, I'm not sure I can do anything about it. I told him I had five cars including a Lexus IS and none of the brakes squealed. He took the car in resurfaced all of the rotors and magic, the squeal is completely gone (I don't think they resurfaced the rotors the first time they replaced the pads). In your case, it is possible that hard braking during the first couple of hundred miles caused the problem--I guessing here; I would take it back to the Lexus dealer once your confident they can replicate the problem; tell him no one else you know with a brand new IS has squeaky brakes.
Old 05-04-06, 11:33 AM
archaic
Driver School Candidate

I was having this problem as well. I took it in and they said to rotors we warped. They turned them and the work order had something about an anti-squeal kit too that they installed.

Quick Reply: squeaky brakes!