Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

GS400 TRD Mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-01, 09:33 PM
RushGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hey folks, I just took the plunge and got my TRD STB, LCB, Front and Rear Sways installed. I didn't do the lowering springs cause I still want the cushy ride on the freeways. I think this might be a good compromise for others who wants flatter cornering without any additional harshness

For those who have the TRD STB, does yours touches the plastic engine cover? Mine is resting snuggly right on the plastic engine cover and both the STB and plastic cover become somewhat hot to touch after driving. Is that any cause for concern?
Attached Thumbnails GS400 TRD Mods-a-gs010845.jpg  
Old 08-19-01, 10:20 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

The same happens with mine, the strut bar gets pretty hot after driving around, but I am sure this is because of its proximity to the engine rather than through the contact of the plastic engine cover.

Only potential problem I see is that the engine cover would eventually wear a little mark or blemish on the underside of the strut bar where they come in constant contact.

Old 08-20-01, 05:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts
Default Difference?

RushGS - so did you notice any difference after the install?
Old 08-20-01, 09:25 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Install TRD STB

Do you know if you have to remove the black metal ring on top of the strut tower when install STB? Or the STB just sit on top of the ring? THXS!
Old 08-20-01, 12:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

RushGS - my STB sits about 1-2mm above the engine cover. Could be related to my next point.

Shinchan - I'm not sure if it's a black metal ring, but there seems to be a black 'something' between the STB and the top of bodywork. I had the dealer install mine.
Old 08-20-01, 09:28 PM
RushGS
Driver School Candidate

Default Flatter

The difference I feel on the whole setup is that it corners much flatter especially on S-curves and butterfly on-ramps and I can actually feel the suspension do its work as oppose to just leaning over! The GS is one heavy car! The steering seems to be more precise too but that could be my imagination.

On the freeways, I cannot really tell the difference before and after. Of course, the freeways here in CA are quite decent too so that could be part of the reason.

Oh yeah, there were the black rings on mine too but I read somewhere in here to remove them... I guess you will get that extra little spacing if you leave them in.

Bitkahuna, does your STB still get pretty warm after driving with that extra black-ring spacing? And does the hood close properly with it?
Old 08-21-01, 01:59 AM
SilverGSguy
Pole Position

bitkahuna,
i think they prob just mounted it over the ring that was originally there. i think thats the black ring shinchan is talking about. mine was done the same way too.
Old 08-21-01, 02:08 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

That black thingy is called a load plate .

Don't worry about the stb getting hot . Its hot under the hood and your stb being metal = hot stb .

Usually i think they remove the load plates , but if you need clearance it goes back on . I dunno why though.
Old 08-22-01, 07:27 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well according to the TRD and UGO instructions, the plate should be removed...I'm not sure if there are any negative effects of leaving them on there but I followed the instructions...had to loose the engine cover (like a give a rat's *** about the engine cover)...

Aren't STB's great? Now all you need is a Rear STB and it'll get rid of the rear "shimmy" on not-so-smooth turns...