Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Noise Problem please help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-06, 01:24 PM
ScCrazy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise Problem please help!!!!!

Hello everyone, i'm new to this club and was wondering if anyone can help. I bought a 92sc400 auto and have about 125k miles on it. Recently i hear noise while i'm driving at low speed, sounds like my caliper is seized and the brakes are rubbing against the rotors the whole time. It goes away when i brake but then i hear squeal when i brake. Pads are fine just can't seem to figure out the problem. Anyone?
Old 02-21-06, 05:01 AM
Vitamin-SC
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default same problem

I havve the same problem in the right rear , mine happens after I drive awhile it actually started when I changed my brakes to ceramic pads . I had the rechecked at a brake shop and they said its not pads also ive has the calipers checked and lubed
,Ive heard that the SC's drive shaft bearings & bushings are also none to go bad and make noise but ,it doest explain why it stops when braking.
any help would be appreciated
Greg
Old 02-21-06, 03:55 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are known issues with some of the semimetallic pads where they squeal normally. Also, the calipers have a floating pad design. SCs have small springs attached to the pads that help them retract after braking. They are a b&%@h to install, but they should be to prevent that sound you are experiencing. The only time they have been installed correctly is when I go to the dealer or when I do it myself. Also pads should be installed with the antisqueal shims and copious amounts of brake grease or you will get squealing. Many places don't reinstall the shims, don't use enough brake grease or not use/install incorrectly the springs, so look for that. Last several times I went to a brake place, they either did't reuse the shims and threw them away or they tried to install the springs and I saw them poking out the side. I've started doing them myself with OEM pads and I haven't have any issues.

Drive shaft issues would make more of a whining sound that changes with speed. Control arm issues usually make themselves known with a resounding "thunk" while turning or going in reverse.
Old 02-25-06, 03:48 AM
Vitamin-SC
Driver

turned out to be my caliper sticking
Old 03-01-06, 03:56 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has just started sticking. How did you fix the problem?
Old 03-01-06, 04:08 PM
Vitamin-SC
Driver

just ordered the caliper rebuild kit from Rock Auto which ill probably do myself heres the link
http://www.rockauto.com/ref/BeckArnl...ml?0717928.jpg
lexus brake caliper rebuild kits at first I was thinking wheel bearing but unitil I droe for awhile it wouldn,t do it , then I noticed if I did some hard braking or pull emerg brake it would happen almost instanly ,very very annoying
Greg
I keep u posted on the outcome