Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

LOTs of PICs. 20in Rimz+ 2inch drop= rubbing and scrubbing. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-06, 07:37 PM
rcracer_tx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you decide to go to 19's, i will buy your rims
Old 02-22-06, 07:43 PM
pimpmobile
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
3) Get the correct sized tires for the 20" wheels

The SC has very shallow front fenders, and 255 width 20" tires are a pain in the butt on lowered GS's much less coupes. You need a different sized front tire. There are options, but they can get pricey.

You can try to go cheaper with a Hankook 225/35, but you would probably be better served with a Continental 235/30-20

(there's the freebie fitment info allocation for the month!
Great IDEA.

Oh i forgot to tell you guys that it happens only when i hit a pot hole and do massive steering (like 180 degree turn)
Old 02-22-06, 10:42 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pimpmobile
Great IDEA.

Oh i forgot to tell you guys that it happens only when i hit a pot hole and do massive steering (like 180 degree turn)

yeah i think your going to need to get new tires buddy.... i don't think the 35's are going to cut it..... you probably need 30's and if you could 245 or 235's
Old 02-23-06, 01:06 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If that’s all the rubbing you have id just keep it there, I have 18's and I was dumped soo much that I wore out the top portion on the fender lining (from 11 o’clock to 1 o’clock pos) lol if that made sense. and that was a pain in the butt. and come to think of it that is probably why my abs light has been going off, dam it.
Anyway Id say if you’re only rubbing there then your good to go man there’s nothing behind that anyway, your harness is right above the wheel, if you rub there then you’ll have problems.
Old 02-23-06, 08:01 AM
svtdubs
Lead Lap

miss the potholes and dont turn 180 degrees... problem solved! jk
Old 02-23-06, 09:10 AM
pimpmobile
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexiss_sc400
If that’s all the rubbing you have id just keep it there, I have 18's and I was dumped soo much that I wore out the top portion on the fender lining (from 11 o’clock to 1 o’clock pos) lol if that made sense. and that was a pain in the butt. and come to think of it that is probably why my abs light has been going off, dam it.
Anyway Id say if you’re only rubbing there then your good to go man there’s nothing behind that anyway, your harness is right above the wheel, if you rub there then you’ll have problems.
Yea your right....after thinking about it the rubbing wasnt so bad. Im thinking about shaving(rolling) the fenders just for the heck of it on the front and rear because i see little lining rubs on the tires from the fender lip.

LOL. damn dude....ur only doing like a 40degrees turn. dats major.
Old 02-23-06, 11:00 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sambo; I want my wheels back...They look freakin awesome.... Now I'm regretting ever getting rid of it....

In regards to your technical difficulties;

My advice to you is to get some coils and raise the car about 1 inch....Believe it or not, 19s will give you the SAME rubbing issues..Your issue here is NOT the wheel/tire combo, it solely rests on your ride height...19s with 30 series sidewall will give you horrible ground clearance with the car so low....I know you want to go with a body kit in the future so your best bet is getting some coils...Whatever route you choose to go do some research first or contact me first..

As I said before, the driver side wiring harness needs to be relocated..(I will supply you a picture of my relocation at a later time).. When the car hits a bump, your wheel rubs the top of the fender lining it also rubs against all the ECU, airbag and hood release wires...It is an imperative that you relocate the wiring before the tires chew through all your fender lining..

Your saggy suspension doesn't help with the rubbing either..Everything your car hits(bumps, dips and uneven road), the suspension will dip into these unevens due to excessive bushing/suspension wear...Since the car is getting older as we speak, I would also advise you to change your upper and lower control bushings for more suspension support..As of right now, your springs and struts are pretty much the only thing holding up the car..I can almost guarantee you that your bushings are almost done with....On the other hand, this can get expensive so the most efficient way is to get some coils..

Speaking from my personal experience, your issue here has definitely nothing to do with rolling your fender lips or rim/tyre size...I've experimented with a lot of setups already and this is what will work for you...

Last edited by One HoT; 02-23-06 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-23-06, 03:40 PM
pimpmobile
Rookie

OneHot

Sambo; I want my wheels back...They look freakin awesome.... Now I'm regretting ever getting rid of it....

In regards to your technical difficulties;

My advice to you is to get some coils and raise the car about 1 inch....Believe it or not, 19s will give you the SAME rubbing issues..Your issue here is NOT the wheel/tire combo, it solely rests on your ride height...19s with 30 series sidewall will give you horrible ground clearance with the car so low....I know you want to go with a body kit in the future so your best bet is getting some coils...Whatever route you choose to go do some research first or contact me first..

As I said before, the driver side wiring harness needs to be relocated..(I will supply you a picture of my relocation at a later time).. When the car hits a bump, your wheel rubs the top of the fender lining it also rubs against all the ECU, airbag and hood release wires...It is an imperative that you relocate the wiring before the tires chew through all your fender lining..

I paid $450.00 to get the wheels repaired, repolish the lip, strip the original paint and have them powder-coat it Hyper Silver. They were suppose to charge me more because they have to unbolt every single nuts and bolts to disassemble it and i brought them tires mounted on the rims so they had to dismount it and remount after the recondition is done. All that for $450 which was not bad at all. They do look freaken awsome. I totally love em. HAHA. its so damn clean.

i was thinking getting tiens coilover, but i just recently got these espelir springs/ tokico shocks and they ride pretty nice and i wouldnt want to raise my car any higher, but then again i might invest in one in the future.

so where would i relocate the wiring harness?

switching tires size wouldnt help at all?

i checked under the fender lining and theres no sign of rubbing......only infront of the tires as shown in the pictures.

if i get coil i might be tempted to lower the ride even more.

Last edited by pimpmobile; 02-23-06 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-23-06, 05:36 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT

You can try to go cheaper with a Hankook 225/35, but you would probably be better served with a Continental 235/30-20

(there's the freebie fitment info allocation for the month!
A 30 on the wall would be an improvement. But I think 225 on a 9inch. wheel is stretching it dont you think? I think 245/30 would be ok. What kind of springs are you using? They look like Espelirs.
Old 02-24-06, 03:22 PM
pimpmobile
Rookie

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
What kind of springs are you using? They look like Espelirs.
Im using Espelirs springs. it gives the ride a really nice drop.
Old 02-24-06, 05:49 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

As am I. Good choice!
Old 02-24-06, 10:20 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

the fronts are a ***** on our SC's for plus sizing. 245/35/19 rubbed like hell

get the smallest tire size you can on the front. I'm going to remove the plastic fender liners.
Old 02-28-06, 07:22 AM
Cmedrift
Rookie

sighs aight guys well if you want dubs on ur sc u need camber that is your answer. get some pillowtop camber plates give it about 3 or 5 degress of camber then take a lot of cardboard i mean alot jack ur car up on a hot day so your paint doesnt crack slowly lower ur car on to the cardboard instand fender flare with ease camber will help clear the camber as well messes up ur tires but small price to pay to tell ur freinds your rollin on dubs ahaha. with camber though too much youll end up rubbing the strut perch so watch that. good luck ive fitted some 15.7 on a ae86 i can fit dubs on a sc ahaha
Old 02-28-06, 03:17 PM
pimpmobile
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cmedrift
sighs aight guys well if you want dubs on ur sc u need camber that is your answer. get some pillowtop camber plates give it about 3 or 5 degress of camber then take a lot of cardboard i mean alot jack ur car up on a hot day so your paint doesnt crack slowly lower ur car on to the cardboard instand fender flare with ease camber will help clear the camber as well messes up ur tires but small price to pay to tell ur freinds your rollin on dubs ahaha. with camber though too much youll end up rubbing the strut perch so watch that. good luck ive fitted some 15.7 on a ae86 i can fit dubs on a sc ahaha
Is pillowtop camber plates similar to camber kit?....cuz i have no idea what that is.
Old 02-28-06, 05:42 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

pillow ball mounts (camber plates) do not work on SC's.

Your options for camber are Daizen 2deg camber bushings front and rear or JIC front upper control arms that will add negative camber.

Quick Reply: LOTs of PICs. 20in Rimz+ 2inch drop= rubbing and scrubbing. HELP!