Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need Help!!!! Caliper Bolts came out!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-06, 10:20 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Need Help!!!! Caliper Bolts came out!

Hey Guys/Gals!

I was doing my normal monthly walk around my car and notice something very scary! My front right Caliper was sliding off the pads! Upon removal of the wheel I found that the top bolt is missing and the bottom one was loose. I immediately inspected the rest of my calipers and noticed they were all loose and the left rear was missing its top bolt as well!

I had my brakes changed about 10 months ago and think that they didn't use Locktite when reinstalling the bolts (Toyota Dealership).

My question is, are these common to find bolts? All the auto parts stores say they are mail order through Lexus only.. I checked with Lowes and Home Depot and they don't have anything that will work.

I know that several of you have swapped your brakes out, does anyone happen to have extra of these Bolts lying around?? I'm in quite a pinch right now as this is my only ride...

They appear to be 7/10" long Metric 14mm #10 bolts with a fine thread.

I need 2 but would like 4 (extras).

Thanks!!!!

Last edited by IronCobra; 03-12-06 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-12-06, 11:46 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dealer new bolts .... try to stay away from used, they are already stretched and prone to snap off. Original equipment bolts are torqued to 25 Ft Lbs front, 20 Ft Rear, I do believe. Be sure to preset the flats correctly..(you'll see what I mean) A 3/8 Torque wrench with 14mm socket should be the head size.
Old 03-12-06, 12:00 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tammy
Dealer new bolts .... try to stay away from used, they are already stretched and prone to snap off. Original equipment bolts are torqued to 25 Ft Lbs front, 20 Ft Rear, I do believe. Be sure to preset the flats correctly..(you'll see what I mean) A 3/8 Torque wrench with 14mm socket should be the head size.
Preset the flats? not sure what you mean. I have removed and reinstalled some of these bolts already and don't quite follow.. Please explain.

Thanks!
Old 03-12-06, 01:08 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Locktite is unnecessary, just properly tighten them. Also, you can go to a Toyota Dealer for the bolts, the 94-98 Supra N/A and TT should be identical to the SC300.
Old 03-12-06, 06:15 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

These caliper bolts hold the caliper sliders with boots in place. The sliders have flat spots that fit a machined area on the caliper... preventing them from turning as you torque the bolt tight.
Additionally, if expense and availability prevail, replace all eight bolts with new. They are expendables and a new bolt won't wring off like a streached one might..
Old 03-12-06, 10:42 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tammy
These caliper bolts hold the caliper sliders with boots in place. The sliders have flat spots that fit a machined area on the caliper... preventing them from turning as you torque the bolt tight.
Additionally, if expense and availability prevail, replace all eight bolts with new. They are expendables and a new bolt won't wring off like a streached one might..
do you work at a Lexus service center? If so, could you see if you have these in stock and how much they are?

Thanks!
Old 03-13-06, 05:28 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Humbly No, I don't work for Lexus.

Last edited by Tammy; 03-13-06 at 05:42 AM.
Old 03-13-06, 01:08 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

I have a motto..

Why pay some idiot teenager at the dealership outragous amounts of dollars to fix my car, when i can do just the same as them myself in my driveway. 90% of the time the mechanic working on the car is dumber then the car owner to begin with.
Old 03-13-06, 03:44 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

The bolts aren't that expensive from Lexus. More than anything from home depot of the same size (i know they dont have what will work, but comparitavely speaking). They are probably around $2-$3 each. They dont take long to get in either, but I see this is your only ride.

I'd go back to the Toyota dealership where you had your brakes done and say look obviously you put something back wrong and now my car is undrivable because of it. I kno its an uphill battle this much later, but if they were too lazy to tighten them right, this is something that can cause an accident, serious injury or even worse.
Old 03-13-06, 05:17 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

I actually would have done the work myself, but I was in the middle of moving, so I had them do it for time saving purposes only.

I ordered the bolts from North Park Lexus in San Antonio for $3.10 ($1.00 higher per bolt than Hendricks in Charlotte)..

THEN I found out that my local Toyota dealership can get them by tomorrow for only $1.10 each!

So needless to say I cancelled my order with Lexus and ordered them from Toyota.

Part # is 90080-10129 in case any of you run into the same issue..

BTW.. I can't really go back to the dealer who did the work, they are 5 hours away.
Old 03-13-06, 05:38 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Yeah, I had the dealer do some work to help me save time; never again.
Old 03-13-06, 07:36 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IronCobra
I ordered the bolts from North Park Lexus in San Antonio for $3.10 ($1.00 higher per bolt than Hendricks in Charlotte)..THEN I found out that my local Toyota dealership can get them by tomorrow for only $1.10 each!
So needless to say I cancelled my order with Lexus and ordered them from Toyota.
Every owner of the SC300 needs to realize that they can work with Toyota for parts on darn near everything having to do with the engine, drivetrain, suspension and brakes of the MKIV Supra n/a from a similar year as their SC because the most Supra parts are direct cross overs to the SC300, especially on the obd1 non vvti engines.
Old 03-13-06, 08:09 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Toyota dealerships can order the exact same parts as Lexus, even if its specifically from a Lexus car and wouldn't work on any Toyota. All the parts ship from the same locations, etc.
Old 03-14-06, 08:53 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TMaxxTim
Toyota dealerships can order the exact same parts as Lexus, even if its specifically from a Lexus car and wouldn't work on any Toyota. All the parts ship from the same locations, etc.

I realize that, but the Toyota Dealership said they had to order the part from the Lexus dealership. So I called the Lexus dealership for the part number to order it from Toyota..

BTW, they sent me the wrong bolts.... I had to reorder and nobody has them in stock.. So I called my good friends at IronToad and Ryan has 16 in stock for $0.80 each!!! They are on their way Next day air...lol $35.00 s/h