Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Forget the drop, how would you describe the different suspension setups?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-06, 10:10 AM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forget the drop, how would you describe the different suspension setups?

Like a bunch more people on here, I am forced to drive around in completely crappy streets and roads thanks to the state of California. The streets in Los Angeles, are complete crap, which is why I ended up going with a mild suspenion upgrade when I needed replacements.

I choose the Tokico(used with supposevly 8-10k on them), and the eibach setup.

It's been a few months and the suspension has more then anough time to settle.

This ride is still completely all bumpy and the driver and passenger still recieves alot of impact from the road.

How would you describe this setup versus other setups? I went with the most OEM-like replacements without buying stock parts and I'm very impressed on flat roads, but the car usually is driving short distances around the city.

Is there a better suspension setup anyone can recommend?

My car is a 93, I changed to the diazen front bushings, is that passing on alot of impact?
Old 03-19-06, 12:57 PM
hitsolid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was considering the Tokico and the Eibach setup for my 93 SC300 and then spoke with Todd at TM. I ended up with Tanabe (NF210) and Tokico blues. While the drop may not be as much as some like (I estimate the front at 1.25 to 1.5, rear about 1.25), the ride is better than I hoped. It seems actually smoother over LA freeway expansion joints and the overall ride is improved. No more of the floating effect at speed (75 to 90) and no real drawbacks on bad highways. I've put aftermarket springs/shocks on every car I've ever owned (VW's, BMW's), and I have never been more satisfied.
Old 03-19-06, 10:51 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I've only had experience driving extensively on one brand of spring and that was Espelir. Very nice ride but bottomed out on ruts in the road (I blame this on the ride height though, for some reason my ride height seem to be a bit lower than a few others that had Espelirs?).
Old 03-20-06, 07:17 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what you are going to want to look at is shocks in this situation. springs only hold the car off the ground with a specific "rebound" while the shocks are where your dampening of bumps and the road in general are dealt with. i suggest looking into a more aggresive shock than the tokico blues and you will have less bottoming out and bump steering. look at koni, bilstein etc. almost anything that is an upgraded stock replacement should work better. i may be biased but for every car that i have ridden in with blues they seem like stock shocks with blue paint and not a performance shock as they try to sell them.