Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

gosh, hate my Tein Flex

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-06, 02:43 AM
taewonahn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gosh, hate my Tein Flex

I got a Tein Flex coilover with EDFC control from shop. Paid $1550 for whole thing, my friend is owner so got it cheap. They installed it for me too, anyway, EDFC was working with head lights only at the first time, so I took it back. It works now, but I can't keep the memory, once car is off memory is gone. Also ride when the road is nice, nice and comfy but little bit rough road, bouncy bouncy~~ no matter what i set, as stiff setting 0,0 or 16/16. still bouncy. Do u guys all drive like this or is there any solution to make it not bouncy. This setup isn't what I like, I used to love those tokico shock with skunk 2 coilover hehe~. Give me some Idea u experts from CL.
Old 03-25-06, 02:58 AM
ev0ti0n
Driver

That's just how an aftermarket coilover suspension is. Tein Flex are stiff and only are called Stiff because they're the first ones out to work with EDFC to "flex" and change stiffness.

The only way you won't have a bouncy ride is to go back to stock or your strut/coil setup.
Old 03-25-06, 03:04 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know why urs are like that... my basics altho a lil firm are never ever bouncy in any conditions... dunno maybe theres something wrong...
Old 03-25-06, 06:33 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My FLex haved been on for over a year, and they have never been bouncy. I remember that I did raise the car 1/2 inch, and the ride got much more comfortable, even though it was not uncomfortable before. Only problem I got was a bit of a bouncing noise when driving slowly over any road that is not perfectly level. I have not yet figured out how to remove that noise.

Ryan
Old 03-25-06, 09:31 AM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Bouncy = not enough dampening which either means they didnt get the actual edfc boxes on top of the coilovers correct (thus its on the softest setting and when you adjust it via the little box, it really doesnt adjust like it should) or they sold you used blown out shocks.
Old 03-25-06, 10:47 AM
bishoptane
Driver

they left out a wire for the memory settings, take it back and ask them to check the wiring again.
Old 03-25-06, 11:21 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

gosh, you posted in the wrong section

Old 03-25-06, 11:30 AM
SimplyZBes
Masterhater

Default Simplyzbes

No matter what type of coilover you get, it will ride rougher than stock. The more the car is dropped the less area the coilover has to travel resulting in a rougher ride. When you say on a bumpy road it being rough rough rough, does the car recover fast or it keeps bouncing?
Old 03-25-06, 11:36 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excuse my ignorance but whats EDFC control??
Old 03-25-06, 12:06 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EDFC= Electronic Dampening Force Controller.

It is a box that you mount inside the car with it you can push a button and adjust how firm or soft the coilovers are set.
Old 03-25-06, 05:01 PM
Kylestt
Driver

correct on the meaning of EDFC, it allows your 16pt adjustment coilovers to become 32 point adjustables inside the car via electronic button relay.
Old 03-25-06, 08:42 PM
GReddySetG
Pole Position

The FLEX damper is a stiff damper. Its going to be bumpy no matter how soft you set it. If you want a more "comfortable" coilover, go with CS.

As far as the EDFC not working properly. Its a wiring problem. Tell your friend to fix it. The power wire should be off IGN, not the headlights. And there should be a constant 12v signal for it to keep the memory. That constant is not hooked up, its wired into either IGN or ACC. That's why it does not save your settings once you turn the car off.
Old 03-25-06, 10:11 PM
LocknRoll
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kylestt
correct on the meaning of EDFC, it allows your 16pt adjustment coilovers to become 32 point adjustables inside the car via electronic button relay.
or better yet, sell it, its really useless unless your gonna track your car alot.
Old 03-25-06, 10:44 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In regards to your troubles, All "new" coilover systems with under 300-500 miles of the break-in period will be "soft" and bouncy as you have mentioned. You'll need to give it some time, drive it, and break it in, before you get actual stiffness that you are looking for.

Constant bouncing can also be a result of worn out LCA or UCA bushings. If your car has over 130k-150k, then I can almost gurantee that your bushings are completely shot. Lowering your car also puts extra stress on all suspension components as well.

I would bring your car to someone who knows what they are doing. The shop may have hooked you up with a fair deal, however, IMO not enough experience with Tein components.
Old 03-26-06, 12:33 AM
taewonahn
Rookie

Thanks guys for all your reply. I'll try to replace all the bushing first and then I'll see what happens..

Quick Reply: gosh, hate my Tein Flex