Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-01, 03:03 PM
Y2K1GS4

I've got the L-Sportline Spring/Shock combo - a horrific drop if I might say. whenever I get on it and corner sharply i get a little tire rub - I know im ready for some sway bars to stiffin up the 430. Any suggestions ??
Old 03-02-01, 03:54 PM
hlee1169
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TRD strut tower brace, lower chasis brace, front and rear anti-sway bars. I am very happy with my set. Contact Steve @ Carson Toyota for a set.
Old 03-02-01, 06:55 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the TRD sways bars really worth it since our cars already come with sway bars? I was set on buying the TRD sway bars until i found out my car alread had them stock. I figured instead of spending five hundred and something on them i would spend that money on a SRT/HFI/ECU.
Old 03-02-01, 07:07 PM
hlee1169
Rookie

Default TRD sway bars

Yes, the TRD sway bars are absolutely worth it. In my opinion, the GS400 has more power than what the stock suspension can handle. If you ever drive really fast (90+) and have to make a lane change, you will get this scary floating sensation.

The stock front sway bars are hollow while the TRD one is solid. I didn't compare the rear ones, but I am sure that the TRD one is stronger than the stock one. With these installed, I would say it get rid of 90% of the body roll, and the handling is more sure-footed and a pleasure to drive.

Sure, you can spend the money on the power upgrades, but how often do you need a burst of power? I want to boost my HP too, but I thought handling enhancement is a higher priority for the GS, and I am happy that I did it. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-04-01, 12:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts

1niceride - I agree 100% with hlee. TRD sways probably weigh at least twice as much as the stock ones. Car's much flatter with 'em on.

Old 03-04-01, 02:27 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

I would go with RMM (Intrax) sways and RMM Strut Tower Brace and save yourself some $$$. Fit and finish on the RMM strut tower brace is excellent and for me it's the best looking STB out there. The sways are just as good as the TRD.

Whichever setup you decide to get, it will definitely improve the feel/handling of the car. The stock sways don't even compare to the aftermarket ones. Also, I don't think weight is the issue here that provides better handling, but the additional stiffness and reduced flex of the sways.
Old 03-04-01, 02:47 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

I have the first gen. rmm strut tower brace and it did a good job you can feel the diffrence
Old 03-04-01, 03:12 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb TRD vs. Intrax/RMM

if i could afford it i would go with TRD, because they are TRD and they know their products better than anyone, but i think intrax will do fine since they save me so much money. and the TRD strut doesn't fit the GS3's Intake Manifold anyways, although i think it looks better than RMM
Old 03-04-01, 05:38 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Well from all the comments , i guess sway bars are worth the money. Since i will be buying sways only the best will do. TRD sways all the way. Will be giving Steve a call Mon. or Tues. to put my deposit on them.

As for the RMM stb, it looks awesome. Much better in person then on paper. I got mine from Mariusz last week and will put it on sometime this week.I will post my comments on the added handling once i install it. I will also have a pic maybe if you guys want to see what a RMM stb looks like on a GS 300.
Old 03-04-01, 05:50 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Default How Do U Drive?

I think a better question to ask is "How hard do U drive?' The RMM/Intrax bars are heavier than the factory ones ( & the rear's adjustable ) but not as sturdy as the TRD's. For me ( as I don't have the roads to really enjoy pushing the GS ), the money savings of the RMM bars over the TRD was the deciding factor ( that, plus the availabilty of the RMM's sooner ). If U really lean on the car's cornering ability, I'd recommend stepping up to the more sturdy TRD's but don't think their rear bar is adjustable. There's plenty of choices out there but they should be answered based on what's best for U & YOUR driving style ( plus budget!! ). I'd imagine the ultimate suspension setup would use the TRD bars & braces & the Tein coilovers, followed with the 6 piston brake upgrade from whomever it is that makes that ( Baer? ). As I'm into straight-line performance, I chose the RMM's & put the $ into Mo's TC ( & hopefully the S/C ) in the future.