Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Daizen Steering Rack Bushings Install *56K Warning*

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-11, 07:26 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cartmill
i got the R2R bushings.

i could not install the big "strap down" bushings that goes around the body of the rack. it was too thick.
is the supra rack a slightly smaller diameter?

other than that, it was super easy. took me less than an hour, even piddling with the big bushing.
I thought the r2r were direct replacements. I just ordered a set i hope they arent diff size racks!
Old 01-21-11, 05:04 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking this up the SC300 and Supra have 2 different part numbers for the steering rack. I'm going to do some more in depth research into this.
Old 01-24-11, 03:37 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, yeah, sc300 part number would be a lexus part# and supra would be a toyota part# so they'll obviously be different. The strap-around bushing does seem to be a bit small though; the ends of the bushings don't touch each other. I'll probably end up just running em anyway.
Old 01-26-11, 08:41 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ArodDaLob
well, yeah, sc300 part number would be a lexus part# and supra would be a toyota part# so they'll obviously be different. The strap-around bushing does seem to be a bit small though; the ends of the bushings don't touch each other. I'll probably end up just running em anyway.
I went with MVP motorsports, they have it specifically for the lexus sc 3/4. So if it doesnt fit i can complain and get a discount and still use them!
Old 12-24-12, 02:17 PM
ScWift92
Intermediate

Bump To An Old Thread I Just Took Out Old Bushings And The battleversion bushings have to be tapped in they dont just drop in ill show pics alittle later any body have an easier way to do it im doing it in my driveway as we speak ??

Last edited by ScWift92; 12-25-12 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-01-13, 03:57 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I will be doing this in the next week.
Old 01-01-13, 06:27 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ScWift92
Bump To An Old Thread I Just Took Out Old Bushings And The battleversion bushings have to be tapped in they dont just drop in ill show pics alittle later any body have an easier way to do it im doing it in my driveway as we speak ??
I've done it in Raines SC when we swapped his rack and pinion, and the bushings slid off easily and came back on with no resistance. We actually waited til the rack was on its place before putting on the bushings cause they kept on sliding out. You just need to find the perfect angle for it to slide in, unless the "ears" of the rack are slightly bent or damaged...
Old 01-07-13, 11:59 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

A trick I done today on this install. I noticed that when you put the rack back together, the driver side top nut is very hard to day due to limited space, especially if you have huge hands, like me. I super glued the nut to the flat washer and it was much easier to install that way. Ta da! It worked. Should have had it welded from the factory.
Old 01-24-13, 08:04 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
A trick I done today on this install. I noticed that when you put the rack back together, the driver side top nut is very hard to day due to limited space, especially if you have huge hands, like me. I super glued the nut to the flat washer and it was much easier to install that way. Ta da! It worked. Should have had it welded from the factory.
Did you take any pictures of your install by chance? I know you like pictures
Old 07-01-13, 10:50 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Installed the Daizen kit, it for sure eliminated my knocking when I turn at full lock because now I actually have a bushing in there. (I didn't before) and when I pulled the ones off the driver side the top one was completely deteriorated. Sleeve just popped out and saw nothing more. I just did this in my garage, two jack stands and a jack by myself, took me awhile. I have come across a vibration when I turn my wheel to the left, idk if I over tightened the bushings or because my PS pump also managed to run dry that same time.

Steering feels the same though still, nothing's really changed except that vibration when I turn left standing still.
Old 07-01-13, 11:58 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Plenty of info on this here in CL. You're one lucky SOAB though for not getting jacked by Daizen. Make sure to get an alignment afterwards.
Old 07-01-13, 04:34 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Plenty of info on this here in CL. You're one lucky SOAB though for not getting jacked by Daizen. Make sure to get an alignment afterwards.
won't be getting an alignment until i pick up my coilovers and new "used" lower control arm from the junkyard, my ball joint is the culprit for making all the clicky noises. I got my car up on a lift earlier today, to check for what leaks i have, I for sure need a new AC Condensor, and PS pump. thats why i was getting the vibrations when i turn my wheel. So far i have noticed that my car doesnt pull to the right anymore on uneven roads. Steering rack bushings were shot so it was a good investment.
Old 07-01-13, 04:41 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pjurisprudencia/9186299084/http://www.flickr.com/photos/pjurisprudencia/9186299084/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/pjurisprudencia/, on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pjurisprudencia/9186296318/http://www.flickr.com/photos/pjurisprudencia/9186296318/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/pjurisprudencia/, on Flickr
i have driven without that bushing for a good week i pulled it out on accident lol. I was scared i was going to hit a bump hard enough and smash my steerking rack open lol.

Last edited by SC4Paulo; 07-01-13 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-05-13, 08:14 PM
SuperwetSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
the rack is held to the body(technically the cross-member) via bolts. the bolts are isolated with bushings. this is done on a luxury car to eliminate any type of vibration feed back to the steering wheel. this is also a bad thing for a sporty car since you get very limited, mushy feed back.

when the bushings wear out they are no longer tight in the rack hole. this can cause noise, clunking, inability to make proper alignment, and the car wondering all over the road. if the bushings are worn out the rack will literally move with respect to the car. just imagine turning the wheel and the car doesnt turn. what happens is that when you turn the wheel the rack moves first instead of the wheels. when the hole that the bushing should sit in contacts the metal of the bolt THEN the wheels turn. you will have a huge delay in steering response.

the bushings in the rack are really not necessary. i machined my own steel inserts to replace the bushings and the car feeling 10,000 times better. its more responsive. basically imagine the steering response of a miata or pretty much a go cart

this is the ones i made a while ago.

the daizen bushings are a cheap alternative and they work...that is if you can get the hold of the guys in charge there
Do you have the specs of the inserts?
Old 12-05-13, 08:22 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cartmill
i got the R2R bushings.

i could not install the big "strap down" bushings that goes around the body of the rack. it was too thick.
is the supra rack a slightly smaller diameter?

other than that, it was super easy. took me less than an hour, even piddling with the big bushing.

old quote, but should help someone one day.

yes some supra rack is smaller in diameter.

Quick Reply: Daizen Steering Rack Bushings Install *56K Warning*