Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Daizen Steering Rack Bushings Install *56K Warning*

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-13, 01:43 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

come to think of it, my big bushing didn't see as thick as the old one but it fit in there mostly and tightened down. may have to double check that bushing haven't messed with it since install and its been a while on there.
Old 03-11-14, 12:50 PM
uras300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bumping this thread since it was very helpful when tackling steering rack bushings replacement.

After I've installed the Daizen bushings, the dreaded "no response between 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock" symptom was completely fixed. Additionally, I've noticed bump steer elimination, and straight line stability improvement from the replacement. Now my SC drives like it's on rails.

I'll add to the testimony that it is possible to do this replacement on jack stands as I've done it in my garage. From start to finish, it took me about 2 hours since I've replaced sway bar bushings at the same time. Over all, an awesome mod and I recommend it to any SC with 100,000+ miles on it.
Old 03-29-14, 12:59 PM
Albatross
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed bushings from MVP motorsports and my steering clunk went away but more importantly when im cruising at highway speeds it feels like i'm driving a lexus now instead of a 1986 toyota corolla.
Old 06-11-14, 10:04 AM
vnaicker91
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replaced my steering rack bushings, 93 sc300, last summer with the R2R kit from MVP. Its a good set of bushings and fixed the sloppy steering feel. There was really not much left of my bushings so these made a HUGE difference. This fixed the excessive steering wheel play issue of turning the wheel and not getting immediate response from the rack.

I think even if my rack bushings were not bad i would still take them out and replace them with the R2R ones just because its so easy to do and well worth the $$.
Old 06-11-14, 01:08 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I replaced my steering rack bushing with Whiteline kit......I did this when the engine was out so it was much easier....I did notice that the steering doesnt have as much plan in as before.....but my old bushing were completely gone....

Old 12-03-14, 04:11 PM
Dtaylor3
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great DIY!
Ive been trying to fix that play in my wheel for awhile now. It actually feels like a sports car again
Old 01-31-15, 10:23 PM
Equalizir
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be tackling this job sometime this year. I've looked at the pictures quite a few times and I was wondering is the wood really necessary? I don't understand what it's purpose is. Maybe it'll make sense once I'm under the car and looking at it.
Old 01-31-15, 11:46 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Equalizir
I'm going to be tackling this job sometime this year. I've looked at the pictures quite a few times and I was wondering is the wood really necessary? I don't understand what it's purpose is. Maybe it'll make sense once I'm under the car and looking at it.
It appears to be a spacer so you can knock (not "know," as written in the steps) the bushing out the back side. You could probably do it with just the pry bar, but that makes for an increased chance of: a) tools slipping unless you have a spare set of hands, and b) metal on metal damage.

I had my rack & pinion replaced around 190k miles and the mechanic said the bushings still looked pretty good. Judging from how tore up other peoples' are, maybe that means a previous owner already replaced mine?
Old 02-02-15, 11:23 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey I was wondering, can you just clip the "lip" of the old bushing with diagonal cutters and just push them through easier? It is ok to leave the rack hanging while you work? The tie rods hold it up, right?

For the install do you coat grease on the inside and outside of the bushing? What about the "strap" one, put grease on both sides as well?
Old 02-02-15, 12:03 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
I had my rack & pinion replaced around 190k miles and the mechanic said the bushings still looked pretty good. Judging from how tore up other peoples' are, maybe that means a previous owner already replaced mine?
I just replaced my entire steering rack at 160k. The bushings on my steering rack looked better than the "brand new" bushings that came with my steering rack. I bought Whiteline bushings anyways, so it didnt matter, but I was rather surprised with how well my old bushings looked, and I had PS fluid leaked all over my old bushings too so I dunno.

Last edited by eknine9; 02-02-15 at 11:20 PM. Reason: mistyped mileage
Old 02-02-15, 12:40 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

lots of lexus owners who are never on the forums have the steering issue and the dealer or mechanic reccomends replacing the entire rack which comes with new bushings, so if your bushings look newer and you have lots of miles you probably have a new steering rack. Previous owner told me when I bought mine they had put a new rack on it before I bought it.
Old 08-04-15, 11:59 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I am going to try to do this, I got my bushing from figs (made by super pro in Australia)

Does anyone know if the wheels can remain on ground while doing this in a pit.. (e.g. on ramps)
or wheels need to be off the ground e.g. jacked up
Old 08-05-15, 09:25 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
I am going to try to do this, I got my bushing from figs (made by super pro in Australia)

Does anyone know if the wheels can remain on ground while doing this in a pit.. (e.g. on ramps)
or wheels need to be off the ground e.g. jacked up
I've never actually tried it with the wheels on the ground, but I'm going to say no. You need to be able to move the rack around, so if the rack is still attached to the knuckle, it needs to be able to move too.
Old 08-07-15, 09:46 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm installing Whiteline bushings tomorrow. Do you guys recommend an alignment after?
Old 08-07-15, 12:21 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Yes, an alignment is highly recommended. The position of the rack won't be the same, so the toe will be off.

Quick Reply: Daizen Steering Rack Bushings Install *56K Warning*