Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Daizen Steering Rack Bushings Install *56K Warning*

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-09, 10:27 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just curious do you have to remove the tires to install these?
Old 04-05-09, 11:53 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

I just ordered the LCA and steering rack bushings too.Yeeeey !!!
Old 04-05-09, 12:42 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sup2jzgte
I'm just curious do you have to remove the tires to install these?
no you do not.
Old 04-05-09, 01:05 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was the engine shot necessary on a steering rack bushing replacement?

lol
Old 04-06-09, 07:32 PM
rykwebb
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Spooled
engine shot necessary on a steering rack bushing replacement?

lol
But of course.
Old 04-13-09, 05:10 PM
jdm93400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wats the true purpose on changin ur bushings for the rackand pinon. i dont see wat it would do with better bushings. no squeakin .
Old 04-13-09, 05:22 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jdm93400
wats the true purpose on changin ur bushings for the rackand pinon. i dont see wat it would do with better bushings. no squeakin .
the rack is held to the body(technically the cross-member) via bolts. the bolts are isolated with bushings. this is done on a luxury car to eliminate any type of vibration feed back to the steering wheel. this is also a bad thing for a sporty car since you get very limited, mushy feed back.

when the bushings wear out they are no longer tight in the rack hole. this can cause noise, clunking, inability to make proper alignment, and the car wondering all over the road. if the bushings are worn out the rack will literally move with respect to the car. just imagine turning the wheel and the car doesnt turn. what happens is that when you turn the wheel the rack moves first instead of the wheels. when the hole that the bushing should sit in contacts the metal of the bolt THEN the wheels turn. you will have a huge delay in steering response.

the bushings in the rack are really not necessary. i machined my own steel inserts to replace the bushings and the car feeling 10,000 times better. its more responsive. basically imagine the steering response of a miata or pretty much a go cart

this is the ones i made a while ago.

the daizen bushings are a cheap alternative and they work...that is if you can get the hold of the guys in charge there
Old 04-19-09, 09:35 AM
spencerfun
Driver School Candidate

I just replaced them this weekend. It took about 5 days for me to get them from TMengineering. My old bushings were worn down to nearly nothing. They were practically destroyed so the metal sleeves just fell right out. The steering is so much better and I feel like I have so much more control. I don't feel like I need an alignment at all because the car drives straight. I can't believe Goodyear was trying to get me to replace the whole steering rack for $2,200 and a mom and pop shop told me $1000. I want to kick the Goodyear guys in the ***** or at least get in a good donkey punch.

Thanks
Old 04-22-09, 08:06 AM
St3alth_GS
Driver School Candidate

man you guys peer pressure lol. Just ordered me a set! im in need of an alignment so getting it all done at once.
Old 04-22-09, 08:36 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
the rack is held to the body(technically the cross-member) via bolts. the bolts are isolated with bushings. this is done on a luxury car to eliminate any type of vibration feed back to the steering wheel. this is also a bad thing for a sporty car since you get very limited, mushy feed back.

when the bushings wear out they are no longer tight in the rack hole. this can cause noise, clunking, inability to make proper alignment, and the car wondering all over the road. if the bushings are worn out the rack will literally move with respect to the car. just imagine turning the wheel and the car doesnt turn. what happens is that when you turn the wheel the rack moves first instead of the wheels. when the hole that the bushing should sit in contacts the metal of the bolt THEN the wheels turn. you will have a huge delay in steering response.

the bushings in the rack are really not necessary. i machined my own steel inserts to replace the bushings and the car feeling 10,000 times better. its more responsive. basically imagine the steering response of a miata or pretty much a go cart

this is the ones i made a while ago.

the daizen bushings are a cheap alternative and they work...that is if you can get the hold of the guys in charge there

Did you also do the big bushings that wraps around the rack?
Old 04-22-09, 08:53 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

I need to do mine and want to know if you did the wraps also. Also did you measure the insert that I could get something placed in there...
Old 07-27-09, 11:01 AM
joliroger4
Driver School Candidate

Is there a way to diagnose bad rack bushings? I pried on the rack with the car on ramps and there was no obvious movement. Do the wheels have to be off the ground or you jsut can't tell until you pull the old bushings?
Old 07-28-09, 06:27 PM
FutureSC
Lead Lap

Just bought some hopefully they'll get here soon
Old 07-28-09, 08:01 PM
jdm93400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wats the purpose of changin these bushings do u know
Old 07-28-09, 09:07 PM
FutureSC
Lead Lap

The purpose is to take the slop out of your steering. If you are hearing a clunk every time you turn the wheel, it is most likely the steering rack bushings which aren't tight in the socket anymore. The steering rack is moving freely before the wheels actually turn, thus creating slop in the steering. When you replace the bushings, the rack sits tightly in place and doesn't move from destoyed bushings.

Well that is the idea anyway. When I get them, I'm sure I will be pleased.

Quick Reply: Daizen Steering Rack Bushings Install *56K Warning*