Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Daizen Steering Rack Bushings Install *56K Warning*

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 10:38 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just replaced my bushings last weekend for my '96 SC400. The old bushings were in excellent shape. This whole thing took me a good 2+ hr.
Now that I have a chance to drive it for two days my take on this is it was a futile operation. My steering was tracking perfectly straight before, now it's crooked and I have to spend $90 to get an alignment. There is no difference in feeling. No "night and day difference b.s. @#@#"

If your steering is fine don't mess with it. This is one of the mod I regret.

Last edited by sc400; 07-28-09 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 06:17 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sc400
I just replaced my bushings last weekend for my '96 SC400. The old bushings were in excellent shape. This whole thing took me a good 2+ hr.
Now that I have a chance to drive it for two days my take on this is it was a futile operation. My steering was tracking perfectly straight before, now it's crooked and I have to spend $90 to get an alignment. There is no difference in feeling. No "night and day difference b.s. @#@#"

thats probably because you had a 96 and your bushings should have been fine still.
Old 07-29-09, 10:28 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...There is no difference in feeling. No "night and day difference b.s. @#@#"

So your steering is EXACTLY identical to before?

I'm only asking because I've had a set of these sitting around for two years now, just hadn't gotten around to putting them in. Because the Daizen upper and lower C.A. bushings I put in a couple years back gave me so much more of a harsh ride (feeling every little crack in the road), I feared that I'd end up getting even more bumps transmitted up through the steering wheel by switching to the Daizen steering rack bushings too.

Can anybody confirm or deny my concern?
Old 07-29-09, 05:01 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SuperCoupe400
So your steering is EXACTLY identical to before?

I'm only asking because I've had a set of these sitting around for two years now, just hadn't gotten around to putting them in. Because the Daizen upper and lower C.A. bushings I put in a couple years back gave me so much more of a harsh ride (feeling every little crack in the road), I feared that I'd end up getting even more bumps transmitted up through the steering wheel by switching to the Daizen steering rack bushings too.

Can anybody confirm or deny my concern?
Yes, it'se pretty much the same. It's true that the steering wheel might absorb a bit of vibration from the road but I fail to see to see a noticeable difference.
Old 08-01-09, 06:30 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ever heard of "if it aint broke, dont fix it" ????
Old 08-03-09, 11:10 AM
sc400
Lead Lap

Yeah I've heard it before. But it sounds like you don't get why people upgrade their sways, brakes, or suspensions even though their stock's version are fine.
Old 08-11-09, 10:31 PM
RjBLayz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just did this and one of the bushing was kinda worn and the steering feels tighter then it was
Old 08-14-09, 07:51 AM
guod
Driver

were the pictures from an sc400 or 300?
Old 08-15-09, 07:39 PM
guod
Driver

just did this modification on my car...

sadly, I think I have to agree with "sc400"

When I took my bushing out, I did not see that they were all rotted or worn out but thought it would improve the feel of the steering. It did not improve it nor change the way it felt. The car feels exactly the same, does not seem to need an alignment, but I guess my car just didnt need new bushings. At $55 shipped, I guess its just good to know that I have brand new bushings and never have to worry or wonder when they are going to go out.
Old 08-16-09, 02:09 PM
SC34M3
Advanced

^ you change it when its all smashed and ripped.

this mod looks easy but on a lift...anyone done this with a jack?
Old 08-16-09, 04:35 PM
That-Guy
Pole Position

replacing the control arm bushings on a car is not a walk in the park. Like you mentioned, without a jack its a PITA! and it takes a ****load of work. You have to either take a torch to the old bushings and or make inserts to press them out. (Either way you will still have to F*(K around with a press to get the new ones in properly)

My bushings were absolutely SHOT, i mean gone. I will take some pics to show what i'm talking about but it was dangerous. Literally half the rubber was gone on one side and the whole inner tube was rocking around.
I bought the daizen set but opted against it after realizing how much work it would be to install them properly in my own garage. I know it can be done, and done right. Its just a matter of how much time, energy and money you're willing to throw at it. I was looking at 60-70 bucks to have a shop do the press work for the front and rear control arms, 2 bushings an arm, so 8 total. I decided to sell the bushings and bought brand new supra lca for about 200 a piece. Total bill for the fronts was only like 412 shipped and they work like new... because they are.

I'm sure the daizen bushings are great, that's why i got them in the first place, but sometimes its easier in the long run to just buy a whole new assembly.
Old 08-19-09, 12:14 PM
FutureSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got the install done on ramps. It was pretty tough considering that the rack frame was still 3 inches above my face while laying down on my back.... Yeah, my SC is too low. I think on a jack would be nearly impossible trying to maneuver around the jack on the underside of the car; however it wasn't too horrible on the ramps.

My bushings were gone.... all three of them, just the metal tubing jarring back and forth in the sleeve. The daizens were definitely the best 50 dollars I have ever spent on a car. Took out all of the play in the steering: previously my SC didn't turn until roughly 10 or 2 o'clock (pretty horrible) but this completely fixed it.

At SC34M3: without a lift, you kinda have to have smaller hands to get up on top of the rack to pull out the bolts. Entirely possible but a headache, got it done though
Old 08-19-09, 12:30 PM
guod
Driver

did mine on a jack with jack stands..about 45 mins
Old 08-25-09, 07:47 PM
jdm93400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow thnx mann
Old 09-04-09, 08:49 AM
asnatlas