Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-06 | 10:01 PM
exarus
Driver School Candidate

Default Steering Problem

My car battery got drained last night from leaving the light on, so today I had to push my SC3 out of the garage in order to hook it up to another car battery. In doing this, I had to turn the steering wheel in its full range without power steering. Afterwards, I noticed that the car would shake/twitch when I made hard left turns from a standstill - like when pulling into a parking spot. I can feel it for about a second while the car is making the turn.

The car runs fine in any other condition than the one stated above, like driving on the roads, or making turns milder than one that you would make pulling into a parking spot.

I haven't noticed this before, and I've experimented with both left and right turns, and so far only the left exhibits this problem.

Does anyone else have this experience or have any guesses as to what's happened?

Thanks lots!

Last edited by exarus; 03-27-06 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-27-06 | 11:39 PM
D1GP
Instructor

Originally Posted by exarus
My car battery got drained last night from leaving the light on, so today I had to push my SC3 out of the garage in order to hook it up to another car battery. In doing this, I had to turn the steering wheel in its full range without power steering. Afterwards, I noticed that the car would shake/twitch when I made hard left turns from a standstill - like when pulling into a parking spot. I can feel it for about a second while the car is making the turn.

The car runs fine in any other condition than the one stated above, like driving on the roads, or making turns milder than one that you would make pulling into a parking spot.

I haven't noticed this before, and I've experimented with both left and right turns, and so far only the left exhibits this problem.

Does anyone else have this experience or have any guesses as to what's happened?

Thanks lots!
Hmm, maybe loosen your upper control and lower control arm bolts and tighten them back up. When turning your steering wheel w/o power steering might have cracked your stock rubber bushings. It can also be your steering rack bushings. Might have put too much stress on the steering rack w/o the power steering. Check that too
Old 04-01-06 | 09:20 AM
exarus
Driver School Candidate

After a couple of days, the problem dissapeared. A friend of mine said some air got into the fuel pump, and will get pushed out eventually, so I'm not sure if that's what happened but it doesn't do that shaking thing anymore.

whew!