Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

control arm / ball joint = combined??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 09:24 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default control arm / ball joint = combined??

I was at tire world today getting an alignment and they told me that my control arm/ball joint assembly is loose? I told them I already have new balljoints on the way and they said I need a new control arm also? I ordered my ball joints from sewell lexus and it doesn't say anything about control arms? I don't know what to do? do I need new control arms? how do I know if I need new control arms?

the things I thought I needed to rebuild the front suspension is: outer tie rods and ball joint assemblies [lower].. is this it?
Old 04-06-06, 10:49 AM
pavster
Driver

Maybe they meant the upper. It's one assembly -- control arm + balljoint. The lowers are definitely separate, and there is nothing really to be loose in the arm except maybe the bushing.

-pavel.
Old 04-06-06, 10:55 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

hmm.. yeah i think they mean the upper ball joint also, because they quoted me like $500 for the driver side assembly.. they said that it's loose and there's a lot of play there and that's why they said they weren't sure how good the alignment would be.. so is this something i need to worry about or not?

i ordered the daizen control arm bushing kit already, but haven't installed it yet... could that be the problem?

i wonder if anyone else has had to replace their upper ball joint assembly
Old 04-06-06, 10:59 AM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From what I understand the control arms don't go bad just the rubber bushings in them. New control arms are expensive when I priced them.
Old 04-06-06, 11:01 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

ok so then after i the daizen control arm / castor arm bushings it should be all good? the actual ball joint on the control arm doesn't go bad?? i hope this is the problem 'cause the new control arms are around $450+ each lol
Old 04-06-06, 09:44 PM
pavster
Driver

There should be a simple test to see if your upper ball joint is loose. Like grab the top of your one of the front wheels with both hands and shake really vigorously. If you hear rattling coming from near the top of the tire -- the balljoint is loose. Most likely you do just need the bushings, and your Daizen kit is exactly that.

-pavel.
Old 04-06-06, 09:56 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

yea i think it's just the bushings.. so i hope that'll fix it...
Old 04-07-06, 12:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by pavster
There should be a simple test to see if your upper ball joint is loose. Like grab the top of your one of the front wheels with both hands and shake really vigorously. If you hear rattling coming from near the top of the tire -- the balljoint is loose. Most likely you do just need the bushings, and your Daizen kit is exactly that.

-pavel.
that's a good way to test it. usually unless you hear clicking sound, your ball joints are still ok

but the bushings do wear out though.
Old 04-07-06, 11:36 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

a clicking sound? when i go over bumps and such i hear a clicking sound from my front driver side area (which is where they said i need a new ball joint) - is that the sound? or could it just be the bushing? is there anyway to see for sure if it's the ball joint vs. the bushing?
Old 04-07-06, 02:31 PM
lightwave76
Lexus Test Driver

Kharizma,

that clicking you hear is your upper ball joint. And if you are replacing that no need to do the Daizen bushings, since the whole arm will be replaced. I just came from Custom Alignment today and they said my upper ball joints are bad because my car sits so low and that makes them wear out pretty bad. Thing that sucks for me is not only do I need to get 2 new arms, but I did the Daizen bushings last year in August. So it has been a expensive ride to be sitting low... But thatis the cost for handling and looks eh?

I wish they were not combined, it would be cheaper for us both.

Chris
Old 04-07-06, 04:12 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

its not really a clicking now that I drove around and was paying specific attention to the sound, its like a clunking? and it doesn't always make the sound either... damnit I don't know, I think I might just get the entire set up, I found a pretty good price
Old 04-07-06, 10:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Kharizma
its not really a clicking now that I drove around and was paying specific attention to the sound, its like a clunking? and it doesn't always make the sound either... damnit I don't know, I think I might just get the entire set up, I found a pretty good price
that could be the ball joint. i have driven a car with ball point that's almost out, and i heard quite a bit of clunking noise in the front when turning or going up / down driveways
Old 04-09-06, 04:04 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just went outside to test this on my gs.

i didn't jack the car up or anything and i grabbed the upper spokes of each front wheel and shook it towards me and away from me for several seconds like what Pavster instructed.

i heard a very faint clicking sound like a paper clip tapping against an empty soda can.

I guess my ball joints are screwed up. Thankfully I have a set coming in from Sewell Lexus this week. I just had the local dealership replace the front and right lower control arms 3 months ago so swapping in my daizen bushings is a moot point now. Guess I can save the money I was going to pay Todd (tmengineering) for my Tein CS installation instead.

Well- that and to pay for the install of the new ball joints.