Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 01:31 PM
Jimmer350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake noise

Hey guys,

I did a search but didn't come up with anything....

After my car sits for a "longer" period of time (over-night , after work, etc) the first time I touch the brakes while moving I hear a "clunk" coming from the front. It's not a deep / low clunk, but a clunking sound for sure. This only happens while I'm moving, the first maybe second time I touch the brakes then not again, and doesn't matter on speed or how firm I am on the brake. This has been happening for about 2 weeks and I have washed the car.

Is anyone else experiencing this?? If not, I guess I'm taking it in...
Old 09-09-06, 07:55 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

I am now having this same exact issue. Taking it to the dealership on Monday, but curious if anyone else has had this problem fixed and knows what it was?
Old 09-09-06, 08:13 PM
2006is350
Driver School Candidate

Mine does it too, I took it to the dealership and was told it was pad shift. Apparently what is happening is the caliper on the 350's is a fixed caliper and the pads shift back and forth in the caliper. It happens when you back up and then move forward and hit the brakes, I think it is just poor design on their part because there are alot of vehicles out there with fixed calipers that dont do this. Let me know what your dealer says about it, they pretty much told me it is normal. I think it is pretty annoying for a $40+k car.
Old 09-09-06, 10:12 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car used to make a popping sound or a crack, not sure if thats the same but it goes away after a while, i dont hear it anymore. It happens after start up and start moving forward.
Old 09-09-06, 11:04 PM
Jimmer350
Driver

Originally Posted by 2006is350
Mine does it too, I took it to the dealership and was told it was pad shift. Apparently what is happening is the caliper on the 350's is a fixed caliper and the pads shift back and forth in the caliper. It happens when you back up and then move forward and hit the brakes, I think it is just poor design on their part because there are alot of vehicles out there with fixed calipers that dont do this. Let me know what your dealer says about it, they pretty much told me it is normal. I think it is pretty annoying for a $40+k car.

This is exactly what I was told too. I agree it's annoying
Old 09-10-06, 07:22 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

so whenever i back up (that's the only time it is happening with me), i start moving forward and then i hit the brakes to create the noise and shift the pad and then i forget about it.
Old 09-10-06, 06:00 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jimmer350
This is exactly what I was told too. I agree it's annoying
So since this is a normal occurance, i assume that pretty much every 350 does this? I hadn't noticed it prior to about 2 weeks ago, but my radio is always loud so maybe it was always there, I just never heard it. Either way, it is NOT a pleasant sound! Whenever I have someone in the car with me, they always ask "what the hell was that clunk?"
Old 09-10-06, 06:42 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

mine does this as well. been doing it since day 1.
Old 09-10-06, 07:06 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxberry
So since this is a normal occurance, i assume that pretty much every 350 does this?
Mine doesn't, at least not yet. I sometimes get a low volume groaning noise when backing up (that wasn't there when the car was new), but no clunking or popping.
Old 09-10-06, 09:03 PM
acl15
Lead Lap

Will service do anything about it if you bring it in?
Old 09-10-06, 09:43 PM
Lupin5
Driver

Mine also does this once in a while. Pretty annoying. If anyone figures a solution, post it up.
Old 09-11-06, 12:32 AM
muzzman1
Driver

every car Ive owned to some extent or another has done this, in order to be able to get the pad(s) in & out of the caliper there must be some clearance and usually a spring is used to tension the pad and center it in place. My 2IS does do it to a much lesser extent than my 1IS, did, other cars as well, but I have learned to not notice it at all....BUT if lexus is willing to give me a new set of pads over it....Ill be happy to bring it in So let us know what the dealer comes up with, those of you who take it in for this...
Old 09-11-06, 05:27 AM
qwerty123
Driver School Candidate

Default Brakes

Survey:
For those of you that have or had this problem, When did you buy your cars?
(Actually receive just month and year).
It seems to me that you all should write up your problem at NTHSA http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ they have a complaint system. Pads should not be that lose in the caliper, sounds like poor workmanship at pad assembly

Last edited by qwerty123; 09-11-06 at 05:28 AM. Reason: too much info
Old 09-11-06, 05:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

my prelude did this, I think my IS does this, brakes make noise when the pad/rotor is breaking grip with each other when you release the pedal slowly thats normal
Old 09-11-06, 02:05 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by qwerty123
Survey:
For those of you that have or had this problem, When did you buy your cars?
(Actually receive just month and year).
It seems to me that you all should write up your problem at NTHSA http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ they have a complaint system. Pads should not be that lose in the caliper, sounds like poor workmanship at pad assembly
I bought my car in 11/05.
As others have already experienced, my dealership explained that the noise is normal when shifting from 'reverse' to 'drive' and hitting the break.

Quick Reply: brake noise