Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

GS owners - are your ball joints broken?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-06, 10:22 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corkycal
that's crazy dude..
Makes me want to drive about 3000 miles to have Todd work on my car. Maybe I can FedEx it to him?
Old 05-17-06, 04:17 AM
2jzfanatic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine broke! I was driving back home to tulsa from dothan alabama when i pulled into the driveway and started hearing a baaad squeaking noise. I got under the car the next day and couldnt see anything. I took it for a spin and nothing. a weekend later i was diving back from babys r us and the car started feeling a little loose in the front end. No sound or anything but weird. I kinda thought maybe i was imagining things. My wife who was pregnant at the time drives the car and took it to work the next day 4 miles away. that evening she left work and pulled out of the lot, made a right turn at maybe 15mph or so she said & it made a loud popping noise the the front driverside of the car collapsed then the car died and she skid maybe 25 feet before hitting a curb. almost 4k in damage. It tucked the wheel under the car and destroyed the front fender. ANyhow thank god she didnt quite make it to the main road. So I definately advise checking it out so this doesnt happen to anyone elses car.
Old 05-17-06, 07:00 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

2jz, how many miles on your car when this happened?
Old 05-17-06, 07:02 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I just changed mine at 80k 2 weeks ago. I was hearing the popping noise in the floor boards (not to be confused with the clicking noise of the brake pads shifting). I had the chance to take a look at them before they were thrown out, and they had quite a bit of vertical in/out play.
Old 05-17-06, 07:06 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine was gone (121k miles). Steering was really wobbly and loose. Popping noise while entering/exiting my driveway (steep). After replaced, steering because stiffer and had more control.
Old 05-17-06, 07:13 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

My problem is that mine were changed out not long ago. Car felt really tight right after that, but now, mayb 20K miles later, it's getting loose again. Don't know if it's ball joints this time, but man....this weak suspension stuff is the only thing that would cause me to go BMW next time. They really need to beef these things up.
Old 05-17-06, 07:30 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by engin_ear
My problem is that mine were changed out not long ago. Car felt really tight right after that, but now, mayb 20K miles later, it's getting loose again. Don't know if it's ball joints this time, but man....this weak suspension stuff is the only thing that would cause me to go BMW next time. They really need to beef these things up.
Maybe the Daizen bushings will tighten it up some more for you.
Old 05-19-06, 04:24 AM
2jzfanatic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by engin_ear
2jz, how many miles on your car when this happened?
at around 109k it did that. Totally sucked! I hate having cars with previous body damage..
Old 05-19-06, 04:27 AM
2jzfanatic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by e-man
I just changed mine at 80k 2 weeks ago. I was hearing the popping noise in the floor boards (not to be confused with the clicking noise of the brake pads shifting). I had the chance to take a look at them before they were thrown out, and they had quite a bit of vertical in/out play.
I mentioned the bad squeaking noise, but now I remember it was a popping noise. I guess i slept since then And yes it was happening when goin up inclines and such. But it would make a little squeaking noise when braking and accelerating maybe a day or two before it went. I just dismissed it because the car had over 100k on it.

Last edited by 2jzfanatic; 05-19-06 at 04:35 AM.
Old 10-13-06, 02:52 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which Ball Joints Did You Change?

Did you do uppers and lowers, or just lowers? I believe the uppers come only with the entire upper control arm, right?
Thanks
Old 10-13-06, 03:56 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

I am going to see Todd in the morning to get my CS installed and am gonna have him look at everything since I will be there. It sounds like I made the right choice.

Mine only has 40k on it so I am assuming I am fine, we'll see.
Old 10-13-06, 06:39 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

I have to make a trip to Japan for the next 2 weeks. My 99 GS4 has 127,000 miles with no problems with the ball joints. I just made a trip to New Orleans, and the bad roads of I-10 and I-20 finally took its' toll. I now hear creaking when I go up and down my driveway, and when going back and forth and lightly tapping my brakes.

I ordered the lower ball joints and tie rod ends from Carson Toyota and will have to buy the entire upper arms on both sides to get the upper ball joints. Real expensive..$357.00 for each upper control arm.

I have the stock 16 inch wheels and my car is not modified, so I don't think I need the DAIZEN bushings. I have had experience with polyurethane bushings in the past, and even they make noise when the get older.

I will do all this work when I get back on the 30th. Do I have another alternative? I wonder what Todd would charge me for installing all stock stuff?

Thanks
Old 10-17-06, 12:24 PM
JCW
Rookie

How do you tell if its the upper or lower ball joints that went bad? I failed NJ inspection because of this. When the car is jacked up, I can wobble the front passenger wheel a little bit. No noise when driving, mainly because I have a 11 mile commute round trip to work...
Old 10-19-06, 03:43 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Default All New Parts

I'm still in Japan, but I bought the entire upper and lower ball joints, arms, and tie rod ends from Carson Toyota. That was a quick 1000 bucks, but once done should give me the ride and peace of mind I want and need. Struts have already been done all the way around. Can't wait to get back and install.
Old 10-19-06, 09:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

i think mine is dead too. Whenever I turn, I hear some clicking/creaking noise. it's drive me nuts because when I was on the freeway, i can wobble my steering wheel and he car would still remain straight. Also on some uneven road, the steering would drift to one side and I have to fight it a bit to keep it on track.

Anyone know how long it takes to replace the balljoint and how easy it is? I can probably look at the manual and do it, but I just need an estimate so I can set out aside a weekend to do it.

Quick Reply: GS owners - are your ball joints broken?