Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Hot News!!! Tein and Road Magnet Coilovers for the 2IS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-06, 08:55 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex350
Can you please post pics of your car with the Road Magnet springs on??

Also, would you mind being one of the "volunteers" for the coilovers?? I'm dying (as well as many people here are) to get some coilovers for my IS and your "sacrifice" will not be in vain

I'll take pics next weekend. I spoke to Mark when I picked my car up and he wasn't sure if they will make coilovers...if you mean the sleeve type. Road Magnet only makes springs, not struts. They have a manufacturing plant right there in Baltimore, and all they do is springs. Only 10% are automotive springs.
Old 04-16-06, 10:28 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrMark
I'll take pics next weekend. I spoke to Mark when I picked my car up and he wasn't sure if they will make coilovers...if you mean the sleeve type. Road Magnet only makes springs, not struts. They have a manufacturing plant right there in Baltimore, and all they do is springs. Only 10% are automotive springs.
Thanks!!! A LOT of people like me would like to see how the car looks with the springs.

Mark told me that if somebody would provide their vehicle, he can come up with a set of coilovers in a relatively short period of time (in part because they already developed the IS springs and have an idea of what spring rates to use, etc.). Mark told me that they don't manufacture shocks, but he would use shocks from other companies and he would recommend those to be used with the coilovers.
Old 04-16-06, 10:33 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NotFatBoy
hmmm... im in MD.... Maybe I'll give him a ring. I have no problem giving them my car to use as a test car for a free set of coilovers. haha
Please do!!! not only will you get a set of free coilovers, but you will also help many of us in getting a set of high quality coilovers for our cars. If I lived in MD, I would have already dropped my car by Mark's shop.

Please contact him and he will be able to give you more details about how the process would work.
Old 04-16-06, 10:41 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[begin n00b question]

Besides lowering your car, what exactly do coilovers/springs do? Improve handling? At which point do you end up with the ricer problem and have issues going over speedbumps? Will it make the ride more bumpy at all? Do you need to get dampeners to have it not make your ride more bumpy?

Also, there's... coilovers/springs and shocks? Coilovers and springs do the same thing differently, right? It's one or the other? Should you do coilvers/springs and shocks at the same time? Or does it not matter?

Lastly, since I'm definitely not knowledgeable enough to do these myself, do you buy them, then bring them to a garage to install? or have the garage buy and install?

If there's a website that nicely explains what coilovers, springs and shocks do, I don't mind reading it myself. I just didn't find much since I wasn't sure what to search for. At best I found http://www.sportcompactonly.com/susp...ent-guide.aspx

[end n00b question]
Old 04-16-06, 11:27 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AznJason
[begin n00b question]

Besides lowering your car, what exactly do coilovers/springs do? Improve handling? At which point do you end up with the ricer problem and have issues going over speedbumps? Will it make the ride more bumpy at all? Do you need to get dampeners to have it not make your ride more bumpy?

Also, there's... coilovers/springs and shocks? Coilovers and springs do the same thing differently, right? It's one or the other? Should you do coilvers/springs and shocks at the same time? Or does it not matter?

Lastly, since I'm definitely not knowledgeable enough to do these myself, do you buy them, then bring them to a garage to install? or have the garage buy and install?

If there's a website that nicely explains what coilovers, springs and shocks do, I don't mind reading it myself. I just didn't find much since I wasn't sure what to search for. At best I found http://www.sportcompactonly.com/susp...ent-guide.aspx

[end n00b question]
I will try to answer your questions without getting too technical ...

Springs are just that... springs, but when you buy lowering springs, they are designed to lower the overall ride height of the vehicle. These springs will lower the vehicle to a pre-determined height. Some companies (like Eibach) manufacture several types of lowering springs for the same vehicle (with different ride heights) so that people can select the one they want.

Coilovers are a set of "adjustable" springs which allow the ride height to be adjusted. They were originally developed for race car applications and have made their way into the street car market. It provides the advantage that the ride height can be customized to the owner's liking.

Both, springs and coilovers, improve the handling of a vehicle because they reduce the ride height and increases the center of gravity of the vehicle, making it more stable at higher speeds, especially when cornering. They also improve the car's looks by reducing the gap between the fenders and the wheels and making them look less SUVish, especially with plus sizing applications (larger wheels).

Shocks or dampers complement the springs in making the ride smoother/stiffer. Some shocks are designed with adjustable dampening levels so that the owner can customize the ride to their liking.

The "bumpiness" of the ride depends on the quality of the springs/coilovers/shocks you buy, if you get some crappy brand parts or recur to cheap "lowering methods" like cutting springs, then you will "rock a bye baby" all the way...

Springs/coilovers are not for everybody, as whoever buys them has to slightly modify their driving methods in order to avoid scraping the bottom of their cars on occasions, but the benefits in my opinion, far outweigh the bad things about them. There are other components to car suspensions, but I don't want to complicate things here. I hope I was able to answer most of your questions regarding car springs/coilovers/shocks. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try to answer them to the best of my ability...
Old 04-17-06, 12:20 AM
AznJason
Lead Lap

I will try to answer your questions without getting too technical ...

Springs are just that... springs, but when you buy lowering springs, they are designed to lower the overall ride height of the vehicle. These springs will lower the vehicle to a pre-determined height. Some companies (like Eibach) manufacture several types of lowering springs for the same vehicle (with different ride heights) so that people can select the one they want.

Coilovers are a set of "adjustable" springs which allow the ride height to be adjusted. They were originally developed for race car applications and have made their way into the street car market. It provides the advantage that the ride height can be customized to the owner's liking.

Both, springs and coilovers, improve the handling of a vehicle because they reduce the ride height and increases the center of gravity of the vehicle, making it more stable at higher speeds, especially when cornering. They also improve the car's looks by reducing the gap between the fenders and the wheels and making them look less SUVish, especially with plus sizing applications (larger wheels).

Shocks or dampers complement the springs in making the ride smoother/stiffer. Some shocks are designed with adjustable dampening levels so that the owner can customize the ride to their liking.

The "bumpiness" of the ride depends on the quality of the springs/coilovers/shocks you buy, if you get some crappy brand parts or recur to cheap "lowering methods" like cutting springs, then you will "rock a bye baby" all the way...

Springs/coilovers are not for everybody, as whoever buys them has to slightly modify their driving methods in order to avoid scraping the bottom of their cars on occasions, but the benefits in my opinion, far outweigh the bad things about them. There are other components to car suspensions, but I don't want to complicate things here. I hope I was able to answer most of your questions regarding car springs/coilovers/shocks. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try to answer them to the best of my ability...
Thanks! Very helpful.

Since coilovers are adjustable, probably a better idea than springs? Especially if I want to be able to make sure I won't run into those danged scraping issues (my gf's driveway has a dip before it rises. one of those street rain gutter typed things).

Also, since I want to keep the smooth ride (it is a luxury car first, sports car second), dampeners are the way to go? Why would someone one want shocks? Free massage as you drive? Or is it just a term for adjustable dampeners (like coilovers are to springs)?
Old 04-17-06, 12:37 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Also, since I want to keep the smooth ride (it is a luxury car first, sports car second), dampeners are the way to go? Why would someone one want shocks? Free massage as you drive? Or is it just a term for adjustable dampeners (like coilovers are to springs)?[/QUOTE]

No problem!!! dampers and shocks are the same, just that some people call them one way or the other

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that lowering springs are usually cheaper than coilovers, so if you want to lower your car without having to mess around with adjusting the ride height and have an idea of how much you want to lower it, you can research which brand offers the lowering you want and get them and you will save several $$$$.

Lowering springs can be just as good as coilovers, it all depends on the quality you get. If you get a good quality set you will be able to retain the smooth ride and have better handling capabilities!!!
Old 04-17-06, 12:53 AM
AznJason
Lead Lap

No problem!!! dampers and shocks are the same, just that some people call them one way or the other

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that lowering springs are usually cheaper than coilovers, so if you want to lower your car without having to mess around with adjusting the ride height and have an idea of how much you want to lower it, you can research which brand offers the lowering you want and get them and you will save several $$$$.

Lowering springs can be just as good as coilovers, it all depends on the quality you get. If you get a good quality set you will be able to retain the smooth ride and have better handling capabilities!!!
Well, if coilovers are in the 200-400 range and they're adjustable, I'm ok with it $-wise, unless by going springs I'll be saving $150-$200. I'd rather pay extra so my mistakes are adjustable rather than replaceable.

Shocks/Dampeners are >1000, right? Will I need shocks/dampeners if I use coilovers to maintain the same ride quality? Can good shocks/dampeners improve my ride over the stock?

We can take this off to Private Messages if no one else needs to learn
Old 04-17-06, 01:25 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Well, if coilovers are in the 200-400 range and they're adjustable, I'm ok with it $-wise, unless by going springs I'll be saving $150-$200. I'd rather pay extra so my mistakes are adjustable rather than replaceable.

Shocks/Dampeners are >1000, right? Will I need shocks/dampeners if I use coilovers to maintain the same ride quality? Can good shocks/dampeners improve my ride over the stock?

On the average, lowering springs cost less than $500. Coilovers usually cost around $1,000.00 or more, so the $$$ difference is quite significant. A lot of people keep the OEM shocks when lowering their cars, however, it is not recommended, as the OEM shocks are made to manage the OEM spring rate and it changes when you install lowering springs or coilovers, and affects ride quality. Shocks prices vary according to the application and brand. Good quality shocks can be purchased for less than $100 each, but can go higher on price depending on the type/brand you purchase.
Old 04-17-06, 01:37 AM
AznJason
Lead Lap

On the average, lowering springs cost less than $500. Coilovers usually cost around $1,000.00 or more, so the $$$ difference is quite significant. A lot of people keep the OEM shocks when lowering their cars, however, it is not recommended, as the OEM shocks are made to manage the OEM spring rate and it changes when you install lowering springs or coilovers, and affects ride quality. Shocks prices vary according to the application and brand. Good quality shocks can be purchased for less than $100 each, but can go higher on price depending on the type/brand you purchase.
Wait... shocks are the cheap part and coilovers are the expensive one? The last page had posts saying Springs/Coilovers were $200-$400. Road Magnet coilovers look to be $50/$55 each... and the first link I had placed springs/coilovers differing by ~$100 with Springs in the $200 range and Coilovers in the $300 range. Shocks look anywhere from $200-$700, while dampeners are >$1000.

Most people seem pretty excited about Road Magnet, so I wonder how much it would be for Road Magnet coilovers and a good pair of shocks.

Is there more to lowering beyond just springs/coilovers and shocks/dampeners? I'm probably missing out on a lot of parts that cost $$$.

Last edited by AznJason; 04-17-06 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-17-06, 07:07 AM
jasoncd
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Keep talking! Certainly one of the most useful threads I've read
Old 04-17-06, 08:00 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Just to clarify....

I just got off the phone with Mark from Road Magnet to report back on how the IS250 springs were riding after a week of use. They will not be making full coilovers for any IS, just lowering springs. Today, they will be using Chuck Goldsborough's IS350 to develop the 350 springs. Team Lexus utilizes Road Magnet springs on their race vehicles. Since both TL and RM are sponsors of mine, I'll have the latest info on progress.

I will have pics of the springs on my IS250 this weekend once I put some temporary wheels on the car. A lowered car with stock wheels looks like a$$ !!!!
Old 04-17-06, 08:23 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

id never lower a car without changing the shocks/struts as mentioned before OEM shocks/struts are designed to dampen the spring rate of OEM springs. Now you throw in higher spring rates and the OEMs shocks will have more trouble dampening that higher spring rate and can result in multiple rebounds/bounces. Sometimes they might feel fine at first but later on they will wear out and the shocks will blow earlier.

While you are there changing the springs you might as well change the shocks or else later on youre gonna have to open it up again and do another alignment. Some aftermarket shocks even have dampening adjustability. On my 2000 prelude I have ground control coilovers with KYB AGX struts. KYBs can be adjusted from 1-4 settings 4 being the hardest. Try that with OEM shocks. I have the settings on 2 for the front and 3 for the rear and the ride is better than stock. Even friends that arent into sportscars and more into comfy cars arent bothered by the ride, and I am running rubber band 215/35/18 tires as well. The suspension setup only cost 600 in the preludes case, very well worth it. Get shocks/struts when you get aftermarket springs, do it right the first time
Old 04-17-06, 09:49 AM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
id never lower a car without changing the shocks/struts as mentioned before OEM shocks/struts are designed to dampen the spring rate of OEM springs. Now you throw in higher spring rates and the OEMs shocks will have more trouble dampening that higher spring rate and can result in multiple rebounds/bounces. Sometimes they might feel fine at first but later on they will wear out and the shocks will blow earlier.

While you are there changing the springs you might as well change the shocks or else later on youre gonna have to open it up again and do another alignment. Some aftermarket shocks even have dampening adjustability. On my 2000 prelude I have ground control coilovers with KYB AGX struts. KYBs can be adjusted from 1-4 settings 4 being the hardest. Try that with OEM shocks. I have the settings on 2 for the front and 3 for the rear and the ride is better than stock. Even friends that arent into sportscars and more into comfy cars arent bothered by the ride, and I am running rubber band 215/35/18 tires as well. The suspension setup only cost 600 in the preludes case, very well worth it. Get shocks/struts when you get aftermarket springs, do it right the first time
So you end up with a car lower than stock that rides better (smoother) than stock? Sounds like win-win (except for the wallet)!

So which parts would I need to do all of this? From what I've gathered, I'll need:
4 coilovers/springs
4 shocks/struts/dampeners

Anything else that I'm missing? What about "torsion bars"? Someone at work mentioned that too as part of the mix. Important? Not important?
Old 04-17-06, 09:57 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

during this i had my stock wheels and tires replaced with 18" tires/wheels, the stock OEM tires Bridgestone Potenza RE92s are the worst tire in the world, they got really noisy, losing grip, and bouncy later on as they wore. Obviously with the new setup when you run over a small bump you will feel something vs thicker sidewalls, but on the hwy its very firm and comfortable. Picked up my mom earlier and she drives an avalon she had no complaints (other than my exhaust but thats a different story)

For my prelude I just bought the coilover set (these just had the springs with adjustment) and a set of struts. I didnt have to get anything else. Im sure it would be the same for the IS.

Now I just need to get an IS350, waiting to see what the 07 model year holds

Quick Reply: Hot News!!! Tein and Road Magnet Coilovers for the 2IS!!!