Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Alignment procedure

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-06, 11:36 AM
Ezcompany
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment procedure

Greetings All, I apologise in advance that my first post is a request for information. I feel like I just got taken and would like some input. David Maus Toyota was having a special deal on alignment and the Supra was listed at $59.95. Must have nodded of in the waiting room as I was half asleep when the service manager informed me they were having a problem wih the alignment and needed my permission to "adjust the strut towers to bring the alignment to specs" like a fool I said OK. Guys have you EVER heard of strut towers and ball joints being rotated and adjusted to achieve alignment? I know for sure the 3 nuts on the top of each tower were NOT touched, neither were the wheels removed as no one asked for the wheel locks. All this extra work resulted in an extra $190.00 for a total of $288.85 for an alignment. Just in case you are wondering no parts were changed. All input is appreciated.
Old 04-18-06, 11:42 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

the struts play no role in alignment on the SC300, they are not even adjustable. Ball joints can be worn out tho and need replacement, but you'd know by driving the car if they were worn out.

Alignment is done by tie rod ends, and the 2 bolts on each A-arm that are on a rotating bolt.

You sir, got jacked.
Old 04-18-06, 12:06 PM
salimshah

Received 1,084 Likes on 976 Posts

May be little more explanation is needed.

The toe-in is controlled by adjusting the link lenghts. What about the caster, camber.

For example, the rears (if they need adjustments) are positioned by shims and spacers.

Salim
Old 04-18-06, 12:39 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
For example, the rears (if they need adjustments) are positioned by shims and spacers.
Salim
Um, the castor/camber rear is controlled by offset bolts also. Loosen the bolt, turn the "pill" to pull it in or out. Exactly the same as how the fronts caster/camber is adjusted.

Toe in/toe out is adjusted by screwing in the tie rod end in or out in the front.
Old 04-18-06, 01:23 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

is ur car lowered? how out of "specs" were u? you should go back and ask them what excatly cost so much money.
Old 04-18-06, 02:44 PM
Project300
Driver

Default Bushings?

Welcome EZ,
It does sound like there were some shady characters working on your car, or at least the service manager guy didn't know or understand what the mechanic told him to ask you. There is never a "problem with the alignment" unless you need parts installed. If you don't have aftermarket camber plates on top of your strut towers, there is no way to adjust the camber there. Both the camber and caster is adjusted with the bolts that mount the lower control arms under the car. Check those bolts to see if they look like they were adjusted.

One of the most common problems with SC's is the bushings on the lower control arms wear out. This will show up as tire wear on the inside edge of the front tires and loose handling. If they were having problems getting the camber numbers to spec, I would bet you need new bushings/ control arms. There is plenty of info on the topic here on the forum. Very common.
Old 04-18-06, 02:54 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Also the stock SC adjustment system for lowered cars is quite well. If you do not have a weird combo for suspension. Just coil-overs, or eibach, whatever.. and your not sitting in the weeds (meaning u need a special jack to even jack your car up), the cars stock alignment system handles it usually fine, no problems getting it into spec what so ever.
Old 04-18-06, 05:52 PM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

where in FL are you?
Old 04-27-06, 01:40 PM
Ezcompany
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks to all

Sirs,
Thanks for all the input. I was quite certain that I was handed a line. I do have the shop manual on disc and could not justifiy what I was told. That along with the information from all of you gave me the confidence to tell the floor manager what he was telling me was bull****! The Head manager for the service dept. finally wrote me, quote "Donald: Let me check further into this--I do know that the technician involved is about the best I have. I believe that the strut towers were
not turned--that is common on the new bodystyle Solaras. I believe that on your vehicle it is more common to have to break all the bolts loose on the control arms to manipulate enough travel to bring the caster & camber into spec. Sometimes if we are unable to do this the control
arms have to be replaced. In this case we were able to wring enough adjustment without having to replace any parts." I also got a call from the technician who confimed that a standard alignment was performed. I feel because the bolts took some time to break loose the floor manager came up with the tall tale to bill me for 2 extra hours. Still waiting on David Maus Toyota to send me a refund.
Old 04-27-06, 02:03 PM
Ezcompany
Driver School Candidate

I'm located in Apopka FL, (NW Orlando). Got a mint 1995 SC300 August of last year, all stock except for rims/tires. So far I have replaced antena post, trunk struts, air, oil and fuel filters, plugs and plug wires she is the most beautiful car I have ever owned. Just finished clay baring her and I will post pictures in the future. Once again thanks to you all.
Old 04-28-06, 07:32 AM
Project300
Driver

Originally Posted by Ezcompany
The Head manager for the service dept. finally wrote me, quote "Donald: .......I believe that on your vehicle it is more common to have to break all the bolts loose on the control arms to manipulate enough travel to bring the caster & camber into spec. Sometimes if we are unable to do this the control arms have to be replaced. In this case we were able to wring enough adjustment without having to replace any parts." I also got a call from the technician who confimed that a standard alignment was performed.
This mostly sounds good until he says they had to "wring" enough adjustment. As long as you dont need parts, it should be no problem. But if you have high miles you'll need new control arms/bushings anyway. On high mileage, rusty SC's like mine it's not uncommon for the bolts that mount the control arms to become fused to the inner sleeve of the bushing. If that happens, since you cant adjust the camber and you have to cut off the bolts and replace the control arms. From their description, it sounds like your hardware is on it's way out. In a year it could become fused and need to be cut off. It's general maintenance to replace the front control arms after about 100k mi. The handling is greatly improved after they are replaced too.

If this is their "best" then go elsewhere.
Old 05-05-06, 09:03 PM
erollinc
Driver

i work in a shop environment ... and let me tell you man.... or anyone else for that matter.... 9 times out of ten, if you raise all hell and threaten to go to the top they will give you what you want .... casue they dont want their asses chewed out..... if they dont comply ask for the number to the highest guy you can find ... they will give it to you and you will either get your money back or the work reversed ....

i wish you the best of luck..... i know where i work its under policy to inform the customer of ANY changes to the price prior to billing them out........if this would have happened to me i would have laughed at the ticket and handed it back to him and said id like to tlak to your manager please...

like i said just go as high as you can if they try to bull**** you....... youll end up winning

cause the customer is always right
Old 05-14-06, 02:42 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

I just had my car LASER computer alignged for $99, so yes you got ripped.
Old 05-15-06, 12:32 AM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sourcemine
I just had my car LASER computer alignged for $99, so yes you got ripped.

Ditto I got the firestone lifetime alignment pack for 119 and that means an unlimited alignment. Plus they will align it for me to my specs. I know the service manager. So it works great and they do lowered cars with their super low rack.