Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need Tips For Brake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-06, 05:47 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Tips For Brake Kit

Hi,
Just wondering if there is anyone thinking about a better looking set of brake kit for our 2ISs.

I am thinking at Brembo or Endless (like the blue color), but none of them have came up a kit yet.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 04-18-06, 06:15 PM
Aterrex
Driver

Bembro red !!!
Old 04-18-06, 07:01 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might also want to look into StopTech, they have some pretty good brakes as well.
Old 04-18-06, 09:17 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Whats wrong with the stock brakes?
Old 04-18-06, 11:45 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tonyxcom
Whats wrong with the stock brakes?
Are we talking about a 250 or 350? I wouldn't see any need to upgrade beyond the IS350's stock brakes. If it's looks you're going for, paint or powder coat the calipers. Plus, I'm sure it won't be too long before there are plenty of drilled and/or slotted rotors available. Or don't you think 13.2" rotors and 4-piston calipers are enough?
Old 04-19-06, 12:38 AM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

aside from the dust I think the IS350 brakes are fantastic.

Can't speak for the 250's, but unless it's got a 350 motor or being road raced I don't see any reason for an upgrade beyond a good set of aftermarket pads there either.

Slotted or drilled rotors would actually be a downgrade IMO, as the rotor will have less mass for drawing heat out of the pads/caliper. Probably wont even be a problem on street car though.

Dont really see the logic behind modifiying one the most important safety items on your car for nothing more then looks as BBR's wont make you stop shorter... (good tires will though)

Unless of course your daily commute consists of getting into ABS repeatedly decelerating from 80-110mph to 20-30mph every 15-30 seconds, then yeah, a BBK will help you fight brake fade (which can greatly reduce your stopping distances).
Old 04-19-06, 01:34 AM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

Agreed. If you're serious about improving the braking performance, upgrade your tires and pads, and cryo-treat the stock rotors. A big-brake kit will most likely produce longer braking distances.

The 350's brakes are a genuine upgrade over the 250's. Sure the rotors are larger on the 350, but what's more important is the fact that the rears are ventilated and front brakes feature 4-pot fixed calipers. The 250 sports 2-piston sliding front calipers, and solid rear discs. It looks like it may be the setup from the IS300, just carried over to the new model, where as the 350 received the braking system from the new GS430.

Last edited by P.Williams; 04-19-06 at 01:56 AM.
Old 04-19-06, 04:13 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

duhhhhh no a big brake kit will not increase, and not really even decrease braking distances. a bbk is built for thermal advantages. meaning constant heavy braking without loosing the stopping performance. if no autocrossing, BBKs are pretty worthless aside fromt he aesthetic appeal.

if you want to upgrade ur brakes, new SS brake lines and a different set of pads eventually will upgrade your brakes quite a bit.

but if you really want one, stoptech is about the best you're going to find right now in this market. they're also red
Old 04-19-06, 04:46 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Hahaha..

I don't think my wife will do any racing cuz she drives no more than 75 mph, but she always wants a pretty and unique ride that I am sure.

I suggested the $40-stock-brake-appearance-mod (sticker + G2 paint) to her, and she fights back with some good points that make me thinking about getting ENDLESS brake system.

1. Sticker + G2 paint looks good, but when another 2IS owner sees it and will know this was done by the cheap approach.

2. Any new 2IS definitely has a set of Lexus brake. Putting Lexus logo sticker on the Lexus brake is the same as telling “Yeah~ I have Lexus brake.”

3. In my case, the main reason for not to have Brembo break is because “everyone wants red color brake” when thinking about good looking brake. Also, my client prefers Japanese products which suggest me getting the Endless. (I guess this is the same way why some people here stick with V/R wheels)

4. I truly agree the new IS350 stock brake is perfect for any purpose, but I know there are always the better ones like the 6-pistons systems.[/list]Hey, I respect our clubmates here who did the $40 package approach by themselves because that is a lot of work and a lot of care about the car.

$40 parts + our own labor + few days of waiting = I love my car!!!

But this formula does not work with my client (my wife) now since my client simply requests a “unique and pretty daily ride”. That is hard and I am afraid to look at my already-broken piggybank again.

I do have connections to get good parts at good prices, but so far I do not see a complete kit come up with the brake manufactures yet. (Is there any?) For 2 weeks, I am still constantly watching on Endless, Brembo and Wilwood, but it is still too early for the market to have a complete kit when our 2ISs are still in honeymoon with us.

I will wait!
Old 04-19-06, 05:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

go to stoptechs website and read about brake biasing, getting mismatched brake biasing can increase your stopping distance if the brake forces on the front and rear arent balanced, even with a BBK. Stoptech seems to take this into account when they design specific car applications for their brakes

as mentioned before a good set of tires will improve your braking significantly
Old 04-19-06, 08:18 AM
rys
Pole Position

You should paint the calipers black and get a sticker that says "WIFE" or "BANKRUPT".

Personally, If I saw someone driving a IS350 with a brake kit for the "bling" factor, I'd think it was a waste of money.

The IS350 brakes work just fine, replacing them is just an excuse to waste $1800. Of course, do what you must, that's just my take on it.

-Brian
Old 04-19-06, 08:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

upgrade your wheels and tires with wider and better tires, before you consider a brake kit
Old 04-19-06, 08:59 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had (just sold them) the Endless BBK for my G35. They are extremely expensive ($7K front and rear) but I thought well worth the $ when you look at the calipers side by side with any other maker. Had them for about a year and a half and had no issues with them. You can't go wrong with them if you can afford them. They're considered to be Japan's best brake kit.

In response to some of the other comments so far:
1. A BBK will not increase the stopping distance unless they were made specifically for a different car. All of the major manufacturers put enough R&D into their brakes so that the braking distances will remain about the same.
2. As mentioned, the advantage of BBK's are aesthetic and heat capacity.
3. Drilled and/or slotted brakes usually do not weigh less than stock where it counts. Most of the manufacturers will increase the mass of the rotors (by making them thicker) for additional heat capacity to make up for any loss in the drilling/slotting. In addition, they usually use a better venting system/vaning to optimize heat dissipation. However, the overall weight of the rotors are usually less because they are usually a two-piece design (cast iron rotor and aluminum hat) that weighs less than a stock one-piece cast iron hat and rotor. So, you get better heat capacity and dissipation while lowering the unsprung, rotational mass for better acceleration and braking performance.
4. Brake Bias: very important but less so with cars equipped with EBFD. Unless the bias is way off, the EBFD will compensate and transfer braking force to the tires that have grip as quickly as the it can pump the brakes for ABS.
5. Waste of Money: Very good point if one doesn't track the car. However, shouldn't this argument hold true with any mod to the car? Do we really need any modifications at all? Further, do we really need modifications that actually hurt the performance of the car (IE: larger, heavier wheels, 6000K and higher HID bulbs)?
Old 04-19-06, 10:25 AM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by al503
5. Waste of Money: Very good point if one doesn't track the car. However, shouldn't this argument hold true with any mod to the car? Do we really need any modifications at all? Further, do we really need modifications that actually hurt the performance of the car (IE: larger, heavier wheels, 6000K and higher HID bulbs)?
My argument is cost vs benefit. Also, I would take into account the intended goal of the modification. For instance, heavier wheels, while heavier, the object is to specifically make the car appear different. Wheels make the car look better (usually), and this is their primary use, especially when one is not purchasing Gramlights, or another high end, light weight brand. HIDs provide better visiblity at a low price point (Approximately $500 give or take.. Some kits can be had for $200 if you are feeling lucky).

Now, getting a $7k Endless BBK or a $1700 StopTech BBK. Let's do the numbers. Let's round the base price of an IS350 to about $35k. $1700 is about 4% of the price of the IS350. $7k is 20% of the cost of the IS350. All this for appearance only - when the primary purpose of performing the mod is for.. well.. all the reasons you posted (Better Heat Dissipation, etc).

This is like purchasing a full on Racing Suspension (JIC Magic), when all you want to do is lower the car (Which can be done on Eibach Springs).

Seems like a waste of money to me?

-Brian
Old 04-19-06, 10:38 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

dont forget as well as looks, larger/wider wheels let you accommidate larger/wider tires and there are performance benefits to this (braking, handling, traction)

Quick Reply: Need Tips For Brake Kit