Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Problems with Brembo/Satisfied combo

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-07, 08:06 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I was under the impression that Brembo does not make cross drilled rotors. They make cast rotors with holes in them that cost a ton of $$$$. Usually it is other manufacturers that drill out Brembo Blanks. I don't think they test their durability and life span when just drilling. Also, my friend had two AMG benzes so far. Both are cross drilled. When replacing them, they cost about $500 for the pair. And no one like Brembo offered an OEM replacement. As far as high end cars having cross drilled, I guarantee they are different that what we are buying.

As far as cross drilled rotor "warping"; most often it is the holes acting like a cheese grater. What happens is that the holes carve out the pads. The areas of the pads that never get hit by the holes retain more material. That is why when you feel your rotor, you will notice deeper grooves between the holes. Now imagine this happens for a while, the areas with the holes barely contact the pad (they always grate the pad there), the areas without holes do. This actually worsens your braking performance, causes deeper grooves, and causes the "warped sensation".

I don't know how many of you have done any racing, but I have done a lcrap oad of autocross, and only the dumb drivers are the ones that come with aftermarket cross drilled rotors. I was like that ones as well. I had two different sets of cross-drilled rotors, both times same grooving and warped thing kept happening. My freind was even less lucky, his cross-drilled rotor cracked, caught the brake pad, ripped his caliper off, ruined his brake lines, abs, and bent a shock, from agressive street driving. Nice right?

I have since condemned the cross-drilled aftermarket. Now it is Brembo blanks, with Axis Ultimate pads. I could not be happier. Brake pad and rotor technology improved so much, that unless you are F1, or other serious competitor, you don't need the hassle of cross and/or slotted rotors. And if you are a serious competitor, you can buy cast rotors with holes, or ceramic rotors that save weight, reduce heat and stop like no other. I've seen them for about 2k per rotor.

Buy nice pads, use better brake fluid, and you will be golden.
Old 01-03-07, 01:44 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Oops, checked with a buddy Brembo vendor of mine. Brembo does make cast drilled rotors, or slotted. They do not make drilled and slotted rotors in one unit. I still wouldn't buy them though.
Old 01-03-07, 09:04 PM
eman88
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never had any problems with Brembo cross-drilled rotors, have them on my GS430 and my Maxima, both cars I drive pretty hard never had them warp on me, the Brembo rotors on my Maxima are 3 1/2 years old and I use this car as my street/highway racer...