Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New OEM shocks, strut tops and ball joints installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-06, 09:09 AM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats on the install E. Happy to hear your issues have been solved!!
Old 04-28-06, 07:30 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Update -- Had Rear Shocks Installed Today

So after having the front shocks, strut caps and ball joints installed last week, I took the car in today to have the rear shocks installed.

When I picked up the car, the tech left one of the old rear shocks in my trunk so I could take a look at it. Although it's hard to believe, the rear ones were in even worse shape than the front ones (which was surprising to me because I figured the front ones took more of a beating). The old rear shock compressed with much less effort than required to compress a new one. More importantly, the shock had absolutely NO rebound force at all. It literally took 5-10 seconds before it even budged at all. Once it finally started to move, it oozed out very slowly and never did reach it's full extended position. I would say the entire rebound process took about 30 seconds (and that was with no load on it at all). I assume that when the shock was in the car, it probably stayed close to fully compressed most of the time.

As for the difference in ride quality, there was a difference, but it was definitely not as noticeable of a difference as I felt when I had the fronts done. Most of my issues were in the front end, and those completely disappeared when I had the front suspension worked on. The one difference I noticed with the new rear shocks is that the car feels much more planted on the highway. For the past week (with new front shocks and old rear shocks), I definitely noticed a bouncy feeling from the rear end. Now that feeling is completely gone.

I'm done for a while. This was definitely a worthwhile project. If anyone has quesions, shoot me a PM.

e